PDA

View Full Version : Publisher

pottsy99
30-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Anyone able to help -- I had an older computer running Windows ME , and had a lot of files done in Publisher 97 on it . It's died and i was lucky enough to shift everything data wise to a new bigger , better , faster machine with XP , and also still had the Publisher 97 disc so I loaded that on too , but most Publisher files won't open , just getting a message saying similar to " Does not recognise this version of Windows " .

I thought they were supposed to be backwards compatible ? Will putting the latest version of Publisher ( think it's 07 ) solve this ? As the old one is 97 , according to the box I can't even get 07 at the 'update' pricing , so don't want to spend $600 or more to find the old files still won't open .

Sorry about a lot of questions in the one question .

linw
30-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Just to be clear, Pub97 installed fine with no errors?
You get the windows ver error as it tries to open the data files?

Can you create a new file, save and retrieve it?

mzee
31-03-2009, 12:58 PM
I had a similar problem with an old Spare Parts program. It would not read the data base. Adjusting the 'compatibility' did not help as the program was running Ok.

I installed ME in a VMware virtual machine and it works fine.

pottsy99
31-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Hi , for several years I had a computer running my A3 printer that had Windows ME and Publisher 97 on it , and I built up a lot of files .

Six months ago I updated to a way faster new computer with Xp , and I loaded Publisher 97 on ( yes I still had the Cd after all these years ! ) and transfered over all my Publisher files , but now a lot won't open , saying 'Publisher can't open files created on unknown version of Windows ' .

Anyone know what to do ? I thought both Publisher and Windows were supposed to be backwards compliant ? I don't want to upgrade to the latest Publisher ( 07 ? ) -- apparently because my version of Publisher is that old , I have to pay full retail for new version ( not avail at upgrade pricing ! ) and even then no-one seems able to tell me if this would ensure I can open these old files .

Any advice greatly appreciated thanks

Speedy Gonzales
31-03-2009, 08:30 PM
You posted the same ? here (http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=98591)

pottsy99
31-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Reply to linw -- yep Publisher installed fine , as did my printer driver . I can create a whole new document and it will print perfectly , but almost all the old ones ( off the ME computer ) which I had transfered over won't open ( although frustratingly about 5% do ! ) .

There are over 1000 A3 documents from the old computer , a lot have scanned images or pictures loaded direct off cameras , and would be almost impossible to recreate , and even the ones that don't would be a pain to try and recreate

mzee
31-03-2009, 10:33 PM
As I said, use a Virtual Machine, either VMWare or Microsoft.

Blam
01-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Or VirtualBox. Best;)

pottsy99
01-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Sorry to be ignorant -- what is VMWare or VirtualBox ?

Sweep
01-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Pottsy99

You could send me a Publisher file which will not open on your system via Email and I could try it with Publisher 2007.

toyrav4 at gmail dot com

Sweep
01-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Sorry to be ignorant -- what is VMWare or VirtualBox ?

You could, using one of the above, install an older operating system as well as the O/S you currently use.

Blam
01-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Basically, those two apps allow you to create a Virtual Machine within your current host PC. Make sure you have a grunty enough PC to run a VM.

Blam

linw
01-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Publisher 97 is fine with XP as you have determined. So, there is something that most of those files are triggering that is checking for the Windows version.

If a VM is not on, I think the trick will be to try to figure out what is different about the ones that work and the ones that don't work. Maybe that will point to where the problem lies. If you can see a difference, google to see if there is a solution 'out there'. Reply here as well.