PDA

View Full Version : Folder Redirection - Server 2008

Greven
30-03-2009, 10:13 PM
I just did my first Server 2008 install with WINXP workstations & I can't figure out the folder redirection. In Server 2003, I gave everyone full access to the users share & limited access using folder permissions. The first time a user logged on, a folder would be created for their redirected documents with permissions set to just the user & administrators.

I tried to do the same thing in server 2008, but it won't create the folder for the redirected documents unless the user has full access to the parent folder. Until I figure out how to fix it, everyone has full access to all documents folders. :badpc: It is for a small primary school, so I'm not expecting anyone who figures it out to take advantage of it, but I would like to fix it just in case.

pctek
31-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Um, Solmeister or someone?

BUMP

wainuitech
31-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Is This article (http://www.windowsvistaplace.com/windows-server-2008-intellimirror-folder-redirection/othersoftware) of any help ?

Greven
31-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Is This article (http://www.windowsvistaplace.com/windows-server-2008-intellimirror-folder-redirection/othersoftware) of any help ?

I disabled that because I want both the user & administrators to have access to the redirected folders.

berryb
05-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Greven have you found a solution? In the next couple of weeks I will be doing three Server 2008 installs with 2 being Domain Controllers. Third being an Exchange box. I have time on my side and will do a test box first.

Barnabas
06-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Havent tried it myself but can you not just prevent inheritance from lower level folders so that they only have access to the root folder and then their own folder? If inheritance doesnt flow down then they wont be able to access anyone elses folders. Seems to make sense to me but I could be missing something.

B.

Greven
06-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Havent tried it myself but can you not just prevent inheritance from lower level folders so that they only have access to the root folder and then their own folder? If inheritance doesnt flow down then they wont be able to access anyone elses folders. Seems to make sense to me but I could be missing something.

B.

I need inheritance to automatically give the admin account access. I found a way to hack around the problem, but I don't have remote access to the school yet to test it.

You should be able to grant the user exclusive permissions to their home directory, then have a logon script add permissions for the admin group.