PDA

View Full Version : Word 07 'freezing' at random

Chilling_Silence
26-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Hi guys,

So using MS Word 07, it just seems to randomly 'freeze' and sit there thinking for a short period of time.
Nothing else is happening when this occurs, CPU is sitting idle, HDD is not being accessed.

It can be when I open a document, go to print, or just while I'm typing that it does it. It's incredibly frustrating :(

Any ideas what may be causing it? It happens seemingly randomly, and as far as I can tell its only Word that is affected (I don't use Excel enough to notice).

Cheers

Chill.

somebody
26-03-2009, 10:32 AM
1) Was this a clean install, or an upgrade from a previous version?
2) Do you have any plugins or add-ons installed?
3) Do you have any custom templates installed or loaded?
4) Do you have all the latest security/software updates installed for Office?

wainuitech
26-03-2009, 10:38 AM
See if this helps - open word, Orb top left, Word options,Resources, then on the right Run the MS Diagnostics.

That will check Office to see if any files are damaged or corrupted, and since Office loads the Whole Program on the PC it should auto fix anything it finds. But have the CD handy just in case.

Out of interest - your Antivirus - is it scanning documents, that could also cause problems ??

Blam
26-03-2009, 11:06 AM
If wanuitechs method doesn't work, try going to add/remove or program features then repair the installation.

Chilling_Silence
26-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Came up clean, saying there was updates, but yeah... nothing else
I have a NitroPDF add-in (trial) now that you mention it .. I wonder if removing that may help, Hmm ...

Other than that, its a fresh XP install I did about 3 weeks ago, no custom templates or anything either, just a stock standard installation ...

wainuitech
26-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Why dont you dump the NitroPDF trial and get the FREE add - in from Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=F1FC413C-6D89-4F15-991B-63B07BA5F2E5&displaylang=en).

Speedy Gonzales
26-03-2009, 04:12 PM
I use Nitro but I didnt install the addon / toolbar for Office 07

However, I know Nitro conflicts with Avast (Nitropdfprintermonitor.exe crashes), on startup. This file used to crash with the previous version of Nitro, it also crashes with the latest version

If Avast is installed, you need to right mouse on Avast's icon on the taskbar / program settings / troubleshooting. Tick the 2nd option. (Avast told me this).

Because I posted a post in their forum, letting them know Nitro conflicts with it. And I also emailed Nitro about it. Nitro replied back, saying they didnt know why it crashed (they tested it), and it didnt/wouldnt crash.

The only thing I can think of is because this system is dual core.

Blam
26-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Try starting word in safe mode and see if it happens:

Run>winword /safe

chiefnz
27-03-2009, 01:05 PM
What AV are you using?

We run McAfee enterprise at work and when we 1st rolled out Office 07, we had serious problems with startup of Word and Outlook.

We fixed this by doing a fresh installed of Office 07 and disabling the Buffer Overflow Protection feature in McAfee.

Hope that helps!!!

cheers,

the_bogan
27-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Check to see if the AutoRecover option is enabled?

Sweep
27-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Speedy:-

I am running MS Office 2007 SP1 with Avast on a dual core AMD 4400+ and word does not seem to exhibit the behaviour you decribe.

I don't run and have never installed Nitro.

I have installed the PDF file creator that Wainuitech referred to.

My O/S is WinXP Pro 64 bit. I have 2 Gig RAM installed.