PDA

View Full Version : Security Suites Tests, Again

ddk
24-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Just read the SS test in PC World March edition. It seemed to be right onto AntiMalware issues but not much talk about firewall/antileaking functionality. I've always been quite keen on this as I download lots of apps and don't want one of them 'leaking' my private data out. I value the results at www.matousec.com on firewall testing.
But with all these reviews, they contradict each other. Matousec don't give much chop to Norton, the winner of PCWs test - admittedly they are only really rating the firewall aspect.
Indeed of the security apps appearing in the PCW test, the only one recommended by Matousec is Kaspersky.
So what's a person to think?

jwil1
24-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Welcome to Press F1! :)

Don't believe any ratings in any magazines. Norton is utter crap. Only believe real-life experiences on really badly infected computers. Pctek here will tell you all about those :)

Myth
25-03-2009, 06:12 AM
When dealing in firewalls, Norton's might indeed be right up the top
But these days, most vendors are selling off the complete AV, firewall, anti-spyware package. In this case, Nortons fails miserably in the AV stakes
Kaspersky has a pretty good AV, just unsure how good the firewall is.

pctek
25-03-2009, 08:33 AM
I've never found am all-in-one thats brilliant in all aspects. Not even NOD - its firewall isn't that great....

Best to use the best of each, individually.

And nothing beats real world tests, Wainuitech has some results with Nortons he posted not long ago.........Who knows what these mag guys do - go have lunch and make it up while they're out?

autechre
25-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Norton's firewalls have always been pretty average, but their AV is actually quite good if you trust the various test sites.

The main problem with Norton's in the past is that it bogged down your PC a hell of a lot.

The reality is, there is no one complete package that has the best firewall, AV & anti-malware. You have to piece together software from different vendors and often the free stuff around is just as good as the paid for versions.

Blam
25-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Nortons AV is quite good???

Rubbish. Don't know how it always comes out tops in security tests, when it real life is sucks! I do a scan with MalwareBytes on a computer with Norton Installed, over 100 infections.

With Nod? Less than 10.

Don't ask me why, just is

ddk
25-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Only months ago I agreed with pctek, get the best of each, not an all-in-one that is good at one bit and average at other bits. So I had Kaspersky AV, Spyware Doctor, Comodo Firewall.

I was a big fan of Kaspersky AV, always did well for me.
But then they brought out v2009 that doesn't like ANY other security products. Choices: go with their suite or find another AV. I gave their suite a go. I just don't like it, find it very unintuitive.

What a pain in the ****. Back on the game to find a replacement with all the decisions involved. Ahhh!!.

Chilling_Silence
25-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Interestingly enough I was out somewhere yesterday and the goal Norton set for itself was 7MB operating memory for the Anti-Virus app.

I should try and find that pic that I took of it ...