PDA

View Full Version : Is XP / Windows missing an DST update for the change in DST?

Speedy Gonzales
24-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Or something. Since, it looks like the new dates are 5th April 2009 (First Sunday in April, when DST ends), and 27th Sept 2009 (Last Sunday in September, when it begins).

Because, if I update the time on the taskbar (with a time server), it goes back an hour. So, it looks like MS havent made or issued an updated DST patch.

And if I run this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914387) it tells me the same thing (the old start and end date, first Sunday in Oct - start, and 3rd Sunday in March it ends ) It gets its info from the registry. And you can change it with this tool.

I though KB955839 was the update, but its already installed.

robsonde
24-03-2009, 08:16 PM
I though KB955839 was the update, but its already installed.

MS did put out a patch.....

I also made a reg hack two years back.

www.asinine.net.nz/nzdt_update.zip

Speedy Gonzales
24-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Hmm thought I found it (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=942763) but it says its installed already as well

I'll just change it with this tzedit tool by MS

Greven
24-03-2009, 08:32 PM
I've got a computer at work that does the same thing. It hadn't been patched for a while, so I installed SP3 & left it running windows update when I left today. I'll see if it picked up whatever update it needs when I get in tomorrow. The reception computers tend to be a bit neglected & the workshop machines get a bit too much attention:xmouth:

Speedy Gonzales
24-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Hmm ok. Good to know I'm not the only one with this prob.

Speedy Gonzales
24-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Strange, 2 of the computers here had the wrong info in the registry, 1 had the right info..Dont know how.

So exported the keys from the right one, and ran them on this and the other PC.

That fixed it

autechre
25-03-2009, 08:33 AM
It hadn't been patched for a while, so I installed SP3 & left it running windows update when I left today.

AFAIK, the DST patch isn't in SP3 and if you try to install it afterward you get an error saying a later version of the service pack has been installed.

I just manually changed the clock back & it seems to be ok.

jwil1
25-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Interestingly, it seems that TelstraClear's cable TV boxes have the same problem... :)

They think that each show starts an hour before it does - it still actually screens at the right time though, just the times are wrong.

Greven
25-03-2009, 06:34 PM
I just told windows update to install all the recommended post SP3 patches & that fixed the problem. IF I have a slow day & another computer with that problem, I might find out what patch fixes it.