PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding multiple installs of a USB printer

GordonBennet
24-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Hi Folks

I've got two USB ports on my laptop and four on an external powered hub. I'm constantly plugging and unplugging. This means that there are six possible ports I might plug my laser printer into.

The problem is, if I plug it in where it hasn't been before, windows prompts me to install software for it. If I quit the install, it's unusable.

I just want one installation of the software and the printer to "see" it whichever port I may happen to plug into. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

stormdragon
24-03-2009, 04:03 PM
What version of Windows are you using?

GameJunkie
24-03-2009, 04:06 PM
just use one port and remember what one you use.

Speedy Gonzales
24-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Does it work in the hub?? Because not all USB devices work / or work properly when plugged into a hub.

wainuitech
24-03-2009, 04:32 PM
By any chance does the Laser have an Ethernet Port.

GordonBennet
24-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the replies.

It's XP-Pro.

Prefer to find a solution rather than have to leave one port permanently empty for the printer or "safely remove"/unplug something else every time.

No, the printer is not network-capable. It's a brother HL-1430 - a fairly cheap domestic laser.

Yes, it does work in the hub - one of the hub slots is the one that it "knows", but sometimes I just want to put down my laptop and quickly print something without having everything else connect and start up.

I have more devices than the five (one used by the hub connector) available to me at any one time, so I chop and change.

Speedy Gonzales
24-03-2009, 05:06 PM
You dont have to use safely remove hardware for a printer.

Just unplug it

You only use it for things like USB flash drives / removable hdd's

Thats probably why its asking for the drivers all the time.

pctek
24-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Install the printer with it connected directly to your PC - not using the hub - this way it knows its the printer only and doesn't get confused..

Then connect it to the hub - any port.

And then, as Speedy says, don't shut it off.

GordonBennet
25-03-2009, 12:33 AM
Install the printer with it connected directly to your PC - not using the hub - this way it knows its the printer only and doesn't get confused..

Then connect it to the hub - any port.

And then, as Speedy says, don't shut it off.

Okay, thanks - I'll give that a try.

GordonBennet
31-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Well, it was a while before I came back to this. I've bought a new laptop since, and much of my spare time has been absorbed by it.

I decided not to bother with this printer problem on the old laptop, but when I try out the solution on the new one, I get a different problem.

I followed the instructions exactly. Now, rather than being prompted to install software, if I use a different USB slot (on the laptop itself rather than on a hub) than I originally used when I installed the software, Windows creates another instance of the printer. This is a pain because only the instance that matches the port I happen to be using for the printer will be on-line, so I have to explicitly choose the right printer each time.

I don't get why the computer doesn't treat the printer like any other USB device - I can use my mouse, USB flash, keyboard, external drive & iPod cradle on any slot without any delay or any problem.

Speedy Gonzales
31-03-2009, 03:37 PM
webcams do the same thing. If you dont put it in the same port it was originally in, it'll create a#1, #2 etc. For any other port you put it in. Not much you can about it

Thats probably why, windows installs the Kb. mouse, Ipod drivers

Agent_24
31-03-2009, 11:47 PM
The only solution is to plug it into the same port every time

argus
01-04-2009, 05:18 AM
Interested to see this one (while looking for something else entirely).

My HP Deskjet F2100, plugged permanently into the same USB port (on a hub) regularly disappears and has to be "reinstalled". I'm up to Copy 12 now (in the space of about two years).

So maybe it's not just a problem of changing ports. Maybe some (dirt-cheap) printers (or some [free gift] USB hubs) are just cantankerous like that.

Since I don't use the home printer often and the reinstall only takes about five minutes - when I can find the CD immediately :) - I haven't bothered to seek a solution to the problem; but I'd be interested to know if anyone can suggest one.

My laptop also runs XP Pro, BTW.

Corporal Hawke
01-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Same issue here. HP Printer, Xp home sp2, USB port on pc, up to copy 9 last time I checked, and only the latest copy works. Only difference is that it doesn't ask me for the driver cd every time.