PDA

View Full Version : Keep crashing - Photoshop Elements & Explore

Misty
22-03-2009, 05:47 PM
I keep crashing when editing a lot of images in Photoshop Elements 6 or checking the images in Explore. On my laptop (which am increasing using in favour of my PC :xmouth: ) I find this.

Have 1 and 1/2 Megs RAM on my laptop. Maybe I need 2 Megs ? :eek:
Misty

Blam
22-03-2009, 07:14 PM
If it previously worked fine, it may just be incompatible software.

Did you recently install something taht may have caused it?

Maybe the adobe support forums could help also:)
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.eeb4f8b/

Otherwise you could upgrade the RAM...but other things such as GFX card and CPU affect the performance also

beeswax34
22-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Yeah, Photoshop wont work properly on 2MB's of RAM :p

Hell, it wont even run that fast on 4GB!!!

Misty
23-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Yeah, Photoshop wont work properly on 2MB's of RAM :p

Hell, it wont even run that fast on 4GB!!!
Hi beeswax - perhaps I meant - do I need 2 Gigs of RAM ? (I currently have
1 1/2 Gigs).
Misty ;)

Speedy Gonzales
23-03-2009, 07:43 PM
When you say crashing, do you mean my computer crashes, or the computer itself crashes?

If you mean my computer

Does my computer crash with anything else (I take it this is what you mean by explorer)?

ie: if you view any other images, or other files (ie: docs or txt files)??

If it does, a file / or files maybe corrupt

Misty
12-05-2009, 08:32 PM
When you say crashing, do you mean my computer crashes, or the computer itself crashes?

If you mean my computer

Does my computer crash with anything else (I take it this is what you mean by explorer)?

ie: if you view any other images, or other files (ie: docs or txt files)??

If it does, a file / or files maybe corrupt
Hi Speedy
I have taken my time in responding because I wanted to make very sure of what am reporting. Typically I have Photoshop Elements open -- plus Explore (ie right click from "Start" and chose Explore). Also Recycle Bin.

What happens is that I have been choosing files to delete and have done a few cycles where I have deleted from a folder, then deleted from Recycle Bin. The crash seems to happen after I have carried out the consecutive delete actions a few times. Though I do one action, then a gap -- then the second delete from the Recycle Bin the system seems to find it too demanding to cope with. Everything freezes - the egg timer just keeps running and running, nothing will close, etc. So I do a Control/Alt/Delete to bring up Task Manager. Then chose "End Task" but nothing happens. So then I have to just hit the off switch as nothing will happen otherwise.

Think that is a good description of the trauma ! Just overload ?? Should I be more patient ?
Misty :confused:

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2009, 08:37 PM
You mean Explore all users (if this is XP, youre talking about)? Which opens up the start menu? You dont delete files from the menu like that. Go to start / all programs, select the program right mouse / delete. Thats probably why its crashing. Or just explore all users / select program / right mouse / delete

Misty
12-05-2009, 08:44 PM
You mean Explore all users (if this is XP, youre talking about)? Which opens up the start menu? You dont delete files from the menu like that. Go to start / all programs, select the program right mouse / delete. Thats probably why its crashing. Or just explore all users / select program / right mouse / delete

Okay Speedy. Seemed to work okay most of the time...but if I am not supposed to do it, then will stop. What if I went in from My Computer ? - would that be okay ? There is no specific program used -- they are just mostly JPEG's !
Misty

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2009, 08:51 PM
? The option isnt in my computer (whats in the menu).

If theyre Jpegs, just search for them then delete them (I have no idea why Jpegs would be in the menu).

Misty
12-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Okay, will forget about My Computer.

On the laptop (now my main usage), which is where the problem has been occuring I have XP Professional.

I go to "Start", right click and chose Explore. The window that opens says at the top left "Start Menu". Then go through the usual folders, and sub-folders containing my data. The area I mostly work on is My Pictures which has all my photos. That is when the problem occurs. If I want to delete a photo, then I do the usual right click and chose delete. As it is an option, and usually works, then why is it there ?

What is different from the old Windows ME and Windows 98SE, etc, etc ? They all had "explorer" and that is where you found your documents and photos etc.

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2009, 09:12 PM
If you want my pictures, I would open my computer go to C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Pictures (you may have to go to tools / folder options / view / show hidden files and folders, right mouse on my pictures) and select create shortcut, then drag it to the desktop. Then all you'll have to do, is open it then delete the pics / whatever.

Or right mouse on the desktop / properties / desktop tab / customise desktop / tick my documents

Misty
12-05-2009, 09:28 PM
If you want my pictures, I would open my computer go to C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Pictures (you may have to go to tools / folder options / view / show hidden files and folders, right mouse on my pictures) and select create shortcut, then drag it to the desktop. Then all you'll have to do, is open it then delete the pics / whatever.

Or right mouse on the desktop / properties / desktop tab / customise desktop / tick my documents
Okay boss, will do that ! Still can't understand why the way have been doing does not work as it seems just a different route to the same goal.

Nevertheless, just want things to work, so will do as you say ! (are you sure it's just not overload - deleting, then deleting again from Recycle Bin - and the RAM not coping with the demand)
Misty :illogical :D

Jen
12-05-2009, 09:38 PM
I don't think how Misty navigates to his "My Pictures" folder is the problem here.

Do you have some software that monitors your recycle bin that allows you to recover/shred deleted files (add-on program, not part of Windows)?

What size are the images you are deleting?

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Well yeah it takes you to the same place.

To make things even faster, right mouse on the recycle bin / properties, untick display delete confirmation dialog. And select do not move files to the recycle bin. Then once you delete whatever, you wont have to go to the recycle at all

Its gone (once you delete it). You havent installed something like Norton protect (utilities), or something (cant remember the exact name). It does something with the recycle bin

Jen
12-05-2009, 09:41 PM
To make things even faster, right mouse on the recycle bin / properties, untick display delete confirmation dialog. And select do not move files to the recycle bin. Then once you delete whatever, you wont have to go to the recycle at all:eek::eek: This is a recipe for disaster. How many times have you deleted a file accidentally and retrieved it from the recycle bin, or accidentally hit "delete" instead of "rename" or whatever? By removing the confirmation step and bypassing the recycle bin you will not be able to undo that action. The file will be gone for good.

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Well yeah, its going anyway isnt it?? Or he wouldnt delete it?

Jen
12-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Well yeah, its going anyway isnt it?? Or he wouldnt delete it?Yes, but that will apply to ALL files that are deleted. I've nearly deleted stuff before due to butter-fingers and the confirmation step allowed me to stop that action.

Misty
17-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Do you have some software that monitors your recycle bin that allows you to recover/shred deleted files (add-on program, not part of Windows)?

What size are the images you are deleting?
Hi Jen
I can't think of any software that monitors my recycle bin. The stuff on my laptop is mostly pretty standard and unexciting. However the problem has occured a couple of times since my last posting. On the most recent occasion all I had open was Outlook Express and the Recycle bin .........so the Recycle bin seems to strongly stand out as the culprit !

I hope you are not going to tell me to reload Windows ! :(

Misty
19-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Last evening I was using just Photoshop Elements and Explore when it crashed. Recycle bin was not involved, so my thoughts re that are not valid. The problem seems not specific to a particular program. Perhaps operating system, which is XP Professional ? --- Hopefully something else though !
Misty <perplexed> :(

Jen
19-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Check the event viewer logs to see what error message are given when a program crashes.

You can find this log by going via Control Panel > Administration tools > Event Viewer > Application logs (and maybe System logs). Look for an error message with the same time stamp as when the program crashes.

Ofthesea
19-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Misty apart from Jen & SG sorting your immediate problem, if you are keeping your laptop for a while then it seems like a damn good idea to get more RAM - max it up.

Misty
05-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Check the event viewer logs to see what error message are given when a program crashes.
Hi Jen
I have upgraded RAM from 1 1/2 Gigs to 2 Gigs today, but immediately things have got worse. On laptop startup I have three times got the message
Failed to get session notifications.

Finally after rebooting two or three times got past the message. Abobe Photoshop Elements will not load despite my trying from Start and Start programs.

Looking at the event viewer log I get the error messages

The description for Event ID (0) is Source(EvtEng) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help & Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.

and virtually the same message apart from the first line

The description for Event ID (0) is Source(RegSrve) cannot be found. ..........etc, etc

Is the RAM faulty perhaps ?
Misty :(

Misty
05-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Misty apart from Jen & SG sorting your immediate problem, if you are keeping your laptop for a while then it seems like a damn good idea to get more RAM - max it up.
Hi Ofthesea
Today I maxed up the RAM - it would not take 3 Gigs ... but it has been upped to 2 Gigs. However please see my previous post above for problem(s).
Misty

Edit - Firefox has just crashed four times in a row !

Speedy Gonzales
05-06-2009, 09:17 PM
That Failed to get session notifications. maybe a toshiba program if this is a toshiba laptop. Use ccleaner if its installed go to tools/startup. Disable toshibarc.exe if its there. This could be / maybe causing that message

One site says this message will appear if there's some update for it

Misty
06-06-2009, 08:19 PM
That Failed to get session notifications. maybe a toshiba program if this is a toshiba laptop. Use ccleaner if its installed go to tools/startup. Disable toshibarc.exe if its there. This could be / maybe causing that message

One site says this message will appear if there's some update for it
Hi Speedy
It is a Toshiba laptop
I do have ccleaner installed and have checked tools/startup
-- It does not have toshibarc.exe

-- However it does have
HKLM: Run Toshiba Hotkey Utility
HKLM: Run ToshibaApp

disable either or both of those ??
Many thanks !!
Misty

Speedy Gonzales
07-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Yup disable both. Dont delete them. Just in case something doesnt work.

Misty
09-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Yup disable both. Dont delete them. Just in case something doesnt work.
Hi Speedy
I did disable them and was still getting some problems. Went back to PB Technologies and told them what was happening. James said that the problem could be that the RAM they had put in was a different brand to what was already there. He took out the Hysat that they had put in and replaced with Apacer which is the brand of the 1 Gig already in the machine.

It started up alright ....but very slowly as the egg timer kept going at Start for a couple of minutes.

Ready to test and thought I would do a check for spyware etc. Ran Spybot and got rid of ten plus. Then downloaded Superantispyware and ran it. Got rid of some more.

Today everything has been running fine. Start loading is back to normal. Have run PHotoshop Elements 6, Firefox, with no problems.

At one point today I did get a message pop-up from Microsoft Windows to say
Error reporting -
Troubleshoot a problem with your antivirus software. A problem realted to AV software caused your computer to shut down unexpectedly - to protect itself from data corruption or loss -
(1)
(2) Check for multiple av programs running on your computer [highlighted text]
(3)

That seems to relate to something that happened earlier because I memory is of shutting down the computer okay last night. Also I only run Avast av free (unless there is something in Superantispyware I should shut off).

Everything seems to be okay today and have used the laptop a lot.

What seems to have worked ......or is it just a combination of disabling the Toshiba stuff, replacing the RAM and running the spyware ?? I suppose I should have been more patient, but then you start to get alarmed.
Misty :) :confused: