PDA

View Full Version : Repairing/Restoring users profile

Blam
21-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Recently a relative got a bought work PC that was originally with a company that had a domain, so she took it off the domain and now she cannot log in with her usual password.

I resetted the Administrator password for her, so that she can still log in to access her documents, but some of her programs and settings were on her previous account. She desperately needs it back. How can I migrate her old data to her new account? Or get the password for her old account? The old account folder is still C:\Document and Settings, so it still exists.

Attached is a printscreen

Cheers
Blam

wainuitech
21-03-2009, 10:49 PM
You can try booting from UBCD4Windows - go in locate the account and see if you can reset the password to a new one.

Other option is to try Ophcrack (http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/) - but its a long process and doesn't always work.

You can always copy the data Via Knoppix. But the programs you wont be able to transfer.

Blam
22-03-2009, 11:22 AM
All fine!-resetted the password with hirens, logged in to Admin account, followed these (http://memphistech.net/articles/sid.html) instructions and copied the profile over to the new one.

Everything is as it was.

Thanks WT for telling me about Hirens earlier on, its a very useful tool indeed:D

How is Orphcrack compared to Hirens?

Might try it on a USB tonight

wainuitech
22-03-2009, 01:44 PM
What Ophcrack does is look for the existing password and displays it.

Simple , non tech way to explain -- If you can imagine the TV shows where they have a program that you see scanning for a password, and it takes on TV all of 5 minutes, the program looks for a-z A-Z 1-0 ! $ * ^ % etc, every possible combination - it sooner or later will find the password, depending on how its been written Eg PcW0rLd& would be harder to find than pcworld - but it can sometimes take days to hit the right combination - easier and a LOT quicker to simply change or remove the password.

Blam
22-03-2009, 03:17 PM
So it finds the SAM files automatically? Can lists the passwords?

useful.