PDA

View Full Version : TrueCrypt

JaceKiwi
21-03-2009, 06:09 PM
After reading your magazine I'm trying truecrypt. It turns out it creates a file much like the olb days of disk comoression when the host drive would change to h: and the logical c: drive is just a huge file on H:. The smae thing can occur - one (host) file damaged will take out all the files. Is there any other options?

Also for each computer the thumb drive is plugged into the software would need to be installed to mount the volume.

Speedy Gonzales
21-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Read the help file / go to the site

robsonde
21-03-2009, 06:51 PM
one (host) file damaged will take out all the files. Is there any other options?

if the one big file gets damaged then there is a good chance you will have total data loss.

backup, backup, backup.

how much data are you storing in this crypt volume??

Bantu
21-03-2009, 07:01 PM
I use Truecrypt to take an image of about 3 hard drives. I ALWAYS run the verify after I create it.

Just takes a few minutes to restore C drive and so far not had to restore my work drives.

I have two trucrypt versions of C drive. One is basic XP install, plus small apps like Winrar, Winzip, iTunes and Windows updates to that point in time. Plus my second one is with all the main apps installed such as Office, Adobe Suite etc. My Biggest is 32Gb.

My basic install I can fit on a DL DVD once I rar it up into 200Mb files.

Chilling_Silence
21-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Ah TrueCrypt -- Ive not checked for an updated version in ages! Not since version 4.x..

JaceKiwi
22-03-2009, 12:33 PM
I was going to backup backup backup using encryption (I have been for years without encryption) but it damaged my disk. I now have heaps of logical drives for hard drive encryption but have to figure out how I can use encryption on DVD RW's. Probably have the encrypted file on the HDD then copy to there then move that file to DVD. Also will look at creating one or two very large files and condensing the hard drive ones down. Is there a way to link the logical files to a directory instead. I seen something like that somewhere.