PDA

View Full Version : Loosing Driver of USB every time

notechyet
21-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Hello
I am at a friends place and after she gets photos of her camera, she disconnects the card with safely remove hardware, she loses the driver every time and has to go through the device manager and install it(the usb driver) again.
Would someone know how to fix this problem? Do I need to get new USB drivers?
Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
21-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Just pull the cable out (if its connected with a USB cable).

Make sure the window it opened, is closed first. And if any programs are opened (so you can view the photos, close them too)

Well thats what I (used to do) with the digital cam here (pull the cable out). It doesnt hurt it

I dont now, because I'm using an internal card reader so I dont need the USB cable

Its probably appearing as a disk/drive in my computer (if its XP), and if she's using safely remove hardware, she's removing the whole drive (whatever its associated with)

You dont (usually) have to use safely remove hardware, unless its something like a USB flash drive.

You dont usually use it if youre using / have an internal card reader (since this will also remove the letter/drive). You just have to make sure the window for it is closed, before you pull the card out

The drivers (will install after you reboot). Thats if you installed any for it. You shouldnt need new drivers

notechyet
21-03-2009, 12:08 PM
I thought that when you disconnect the card in the screen slot it is the safest way to disconnect the with safely remove hardware. Is it so that once she has disconnected the software(photo software) to her card she can just pull out the card?

Speedy Gonzales
21-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Just unplug it if its connected with a USB cable

You quit all programs its using (in case its writing to it or something).

Then pull the cable out

Or just turn the camera off (if it needs to be switched on) once you connect it, then unplug it from the USB port

wainuitech
21-03-2009, 01:01 PM
If its a card reader that being used, when you turn off by safely remove, you are actually turning off the whole device.
If you were to reboot the PC it will come back on again.

Speedy Gonzales
21-03-2009, 01:06 PM
If its a card reader that being used, when you turn off by safely remove, you are actually turning off the whole device.
If you were to reboot the PC it will come back on again.

Correct, I did that last night :p I selected the wrong drive. I thought I had ejected the USB flash drive, but it was the card reader

Which is why I close all windows / programs it uses, before I pull it out of the card reader. That way the drives / letters will remain. I dont have to reboot

FoxyMX
21-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Is it so that once she has disconnected the software(photo software) to her card she can just pull out the card?

Yes, that's fine. I had the same issue with my card reader. I didn't reinstall the drivers, however, I just rebooted the PC.

Just make sure all related windows are closed then you can remove the card.

notechyet
21-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks for all your replies, excellent:clap. I will advice as suggested.