PDA

View Full Version : MAC HDD in Windows

WarNox
21-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Hey!

I've put an old hdd from a mac into my windows vista machine but the computer doesn't pick up the drive. It doesn't show up in bios or anywhere, I can heard the drive working. Its a SATA drive.

Would this be because its formatted under for a mac or just faulty hdd? Any way to force it to get picked up? I haven't got an external usb sata enclosure to try :S

Thanks anyone.

Gregor

WarNox
21-03-2009, 12:07 PM
So I found a usb enclosure and that didn't work either. The drive makes some weird noises and then stops, windows doesn't pick it up at all. I think the drive is faulty.

Speedy Gonzales
21-03-2009, 12:20 PM
If the BIOS doesnt see it (did you connect the data and power)?

Does it appear in disk management, wherever this is in Vista?

limepile
21-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Is it making the noise in both your computer and the external ? If its the external only it could be a power problem..an under powered drive clicks and stutters.
A Windows system will not register a Mac drive , as Speedy said, you will need to find it in Disc manager ( can't help there ) and format it, loosing all info on it.
Why did you take it from a Mac..was it stuffed ?

Blam
21-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Most probably faulty-the head sounds like it could be broken.

Did it see it origianlly in Mac?

Speedy Gonzales
21-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Or another reason the BIOS cant see it.

The hdd is SATA 2, the mobo only supports SATA 1.

If this is the case. jumper the hdd to SATA150

WarNox
23-03-2009, 12:05 AM
Just to update on what ended up happening here:

- the drive was taken out of a mac as it was faulty
- it was for a friend and i wanted to see if could get any data from it

The motherboard definitely supports sataII and both data/power cables were plugged in. I also tried it in a USB enclosure which didn't work either.

The drive didn't show up in disk management.

I also tried to use Linux to pick it up but that didn't work either, fdisk/gparted didn't find the drive.

---

In the end I figured it was faulty and opened the thing up only to see the reading hand go backwards and forward a few times and then just stop, the disk stopped spinning too. As if the power was cut to the drive.

Thanks for your help anyway.