PDA

View Full Version : Green on black

Thomas01
21-03-2009, 11:28 AM
I want to show my grandchildren what the old computers looked like, and so I am trying to think of a way of having a black screen with green printing.
I feel there must be an easy way but so far I haven't managed to come up with anything.
I do still have old DOS programs for the software side of it.

Any ideas?
Tom

Speedy Gonzales
21-03-2009, 11:31 AM
You probably wont be able to install DOS on your system to see it

Unless you install it on an older PC, or just find a pic online

pctek
21-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Why not just bring up a command prompt and start typing stuff? That should be enough to horrify them.

zqwerty
21-03-2009, 03:36 PM
If you have Gmail there is a Theme which emulates the look you are talking about, it is called Terminal, find it in settings/themes it is the last one and looks like this:

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Gmail_old_style.png

somebody
21-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Why not just bring up a command prompt and start typing stuff? That should be enough to horrify them.

Bring up a command prompt. If you right click on the window bar, you can click "Properties". In there it lets you change the font colour and background colour - you can just change the font to green if you want.

jwil1
21-03-2009, 04:06 PM
You could adjust your monitor's colour settings :)

Terry Porritt
21-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Or.... load DOS 6.x onto an old hard drive, load ansi.sys into your config.sys file and put this into your autoexec.bat file

PROMPT $E[1;32m$P$g$E[32m

After DOS has loaded you will get a green prompt and green text.

During boot up the screen text will be white though.:banana

pctek
21-03-2009, 04:39 PM
I want to show my grandchildren what the old computers looked likem

You know - I just sold my ZX81 for $10.
Buy them something like that.......:eek:

Terry Porritt
21-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Here is yet another way to get a 'DOS' green screen from within XP.....

Go to windows\system32 and open config.NT with a text editor, add this at the bottom of the file:

device=%SystemRoot%\system32\ansi.sys

Then open autoexec.NT with the text editor and add the prompt command to the bottom of the file:

PROMPT $E[1;32m$P$G$E[32m

Then open an MSDOS window by entering 'command' without the quotes in the Start-Run box.

If the dos window comes up small, right click on the bar at the top, click on properties and tick full screen option.

Edit: I'll get it right in a mo... type exit to exit the msdos window

williamF
22-03-2009, 12:51 AM
you can try turning the red and blue right down on the monitor, if you can adjust them low enough you can emulate a green screen, then open up a dosbox full screen. no brainer if you know how to navigate the monitor adjustment menu

http://resistorhelper.no-ip.org/imgs/aut_4424.jpg

Thomas01
23-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Bring up a command prompt. If you right click on the window bar, you can click "Properties". In there it lets you change the font colour and background colour - you can just change the font to green if you want.

This seemed the simplest method so I tried it. Not the perfect answer as my old PFS word processor came up in glorious colour but the DOS screen with me typing in green, was enough to send my daughter into a state of near shock. Actually she is old enough to be able to remember my first Computer but had forgotten how simple the displays were.
I have yet to try it on the grandchildren.
Funny enough I have been looking into my old copies of ALIEN and ALIENS. Great films. But they had little idea of what would happen to computers - in ALIEN the computer was a room surrounded with banks of computers and the screen a tiddly little thing in the black/green mode.
Thanks to everybody for the suggestions.
Tom

mzee
23-03-2009, 05:02 PM
I use DOS programs on my XP all the time. Professional File, an old data base, and Neopaint, a very good drawing program. I run them in a DOS emulator called "DOS Box" (free download).

Rob99
23-03-2009, 10:57 PM
You could change the theme. Right click the desktop > Properties > Appearance tab. Change to then go for high contrast 2.

Thomas01
24-03-2009, 10:25 AM
I use DOS programs on my XP all the time. Professional File, an old data base, and Neopaint, a very good drawing program. I run them in a DOS emulator called "DOS Box" (free download).

DOS Box - now there's a long forgotten program. Brought back happy memories. I might try it again.

Blam
24-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Great for playing the old DOS games:p