PDA

View Full Version : Monitor problem - flashing.. Pleas help

enzo
20-03-2009, 05:24 AM
Hello everyone. I am new here and I have gotten this problem with my monitor. I am going to tell everything that I know what happened.

Everything was ok yesterday, the internet speed was good, so I decided to pull an all-nighter for my computer. I left my torrent programs on, turned off the monitor. Went to sleep. When I woke up to check the progress, the downloads were complete, but that's not the point... My monitor was doing crazy stuff, like flashing (as if refresh rate was low) and the re are columns of lighter and darker colors (the colors are right, just the brightness..) Also, there are 2 squares next to my mouse and any other object (letter, text, image) (not too at everypoint, depends on it's shape and size) and it is flashing as all of the monitor is. Also, when I move mouse the squares change the colors (they are in lines of diffrent brightnesses) I tried smashing my monitor with a hammer (rubber one) but no work. NOw everything was flashing even faster for a moment. I know it's not my graphic card, since when I plugged it out it was saying 'Check signal cable' and it had those collumns of light. What could it actually be?

it flashes again, without any order now. ALso there is a dark purple column at the left... plese help.
P.S. The hammer couldn't do any damage Before I used it, so don't put your hopes in telling that I destroyed my monitor.

davidmmac
20-03-2009, 06:31 AM
Welcome to the forum :)

Is your monitor a CRT? If it is, it maybe easier to go down to a secound hand store and get a replacement rather than spending lots of time and potentially money trying to fix it. They're cheap as chips (seriously, people are just wanting to give them away :))

enzo
20-03-2009, 06:44 AM
If it was, I would've think of that, but it's a two years old LCD 24" monitor. The warranty's over, I dunno what to do... Well but smashing with hammer sure does help sometimes... Well movies look lame too. damn, i forgot what i wanted to say ;/ Anyway. If there's a person who might've had a similiar event, then please help me.

P.S. I got an old CRt monitor, I will be usng. I am still hoping it woud eventually fix itself... However I doubt that myself

Bryan
20-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Try the CRT. If it works then I would think the 24" has had it.

However, why not turn it off the 24" for a while. Give it a rest and then try again. If you have the same problems throw it away and keep the CRT.

pctek
20-03-2009, 07:42 AM
My monitor was doing crazy stuff, like flashing and there are columns of lighter and darker colors

I tried smashing my monitor with a hammer (rubber one) but no work.

You are joking - hitting it with anything certainly isn't going to help.

enzo
20-03-2009, 07:57 AM
I know, but my understandment of making things work is quite primitive. Well I was actually joking, making a bit of fun for the first post. Anyway, i have changed the lcd to crt now and it works quite fine. I am going to wait a while more longer and see if the lcd works. Also i am panning to watch a movie tonight on my 42" TV (by computer) and I wil see whether it works or not...
Thank you for your suggestions... If nothing good happens, I will write again.

wainuitech
20-03-2009, 08:11 AM
it's a two years old LCD 24" monitor What brand of Monitor ? Some have 3 year warranties, Viewsonic for example (many others as well)- got one away at the moment being repaired under warranty for a customer- its 2 1/2 years old.

linw
20-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Try the Consumer Guarantees Act if out of formal warranty. I would expect an LCD monitor to last longer than 2 yrs.

enzo
21-03-2009, 08:58 PM
i guess so too. Btw i'm back. the monitor was turned off since my last post. It HASN'T fixed but I found a way how to avoid the problem using the monitor. i keep on changing between component/hdmi/rgb and it suddenly stopped flashing. Now that i've been browsing the net for some time it ometimes starts fashing, then i minimise the browser and the desktop has a diffrent color, so the flashing dissappears, once i switch to the browser there's no problem. And yea i'll try looking for my warranty. If I find it and it ain't expired I'll tell you everything. Thank for everything. This is a great community.

Trev
21-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Try the Consumer Guarantees Act if out of formal warranty. I would expect an LCD monitor to last longer than 2 yrs.
Don't think it well applie in the US of A :lol:
:)

enzo
21-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Ok it keeps on happening on and on. I haven't found the warranty yet, but i think it should be still valid. anyway, when Icome to think about it these columns are vertical, and there's this vSync function (vertycal synchronisation ??) Maybe there is something between these two things (the problem and vsync). I am searching the net looking for answers. i really hate thi thing.

williamF
22-03-2009, 12:43 AM
ah percussive maintaininance , works well on my aging compaq armada 1750, the screen does a similar flickering, a good whack near the LCD panel connector does the trick, and when (or if) she goes white the aforementioned whack and a press of the lid switch or just the lid switch press resets the screen

enzo
22-03-2009, 01:02 AM
i've been trying to reset the screen, it didn't work. I've took two photos of my monitor using my camera. Here they are:

http://www.ipix.lt/images/23041892.jpg
http://www.ipix.lt/images/51201625.jpg

williamF
22-03-2009, 01:45 AM
hmmmmmm try giving the screen a tap, nay whack near the connectors inside from the outside casing, otherwise if it is out of warranty you may as well crack it open and reseat any connectors and (maybe) if you are competent with a soldering iron maybe resolder the through hole components eg flying leads, high wattage / through hole resistors if any if you dont even know what a soldering iron is, dont bother

enzo
22-03-2009, 01:56 AM
soldering iron you say? i am not familiar with that english word, but i guess i know what it is. It's a type of metal used to connect wires. I have had a few attempts with it reparing my antenna, its signal ... idk the work. it makes it work better. uses electricity. whatever
well anyway, te awrranty's not yet expired, so i am going to give it a go tomorrow or maybe even today, but i'd doubt that.
I tapped the screen, the columns change their colors and/or place once I do.
Thanks everyone.

gary67
22-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Don't think it well applie in the US of A :lol:

It's not Kansas USA it's in Lithuania an ex Eastern Bloc country Trev

Trev
22-03-2009, 08:31 AM
It's not Kansas USA it's in Lithuania an ex Eastern Bloc country Trev

Yes it sure is. Anyway the CGA won't be any good there either.

enzo
22-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Ok, going to watch movies now, see you guys tomorrow and will post back with the results after i take the monitor for repairment. WIsh me luck ;P

enzo
05-06-2009, 04:44 AM
;/// it doesn't work ;((

Paul.Cov
05-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Hmm, international troubleshooting now.

This post is odd on a number of levels, but I suppose our English as a 2nd language percussive therapist has some reasonable excuses.

Had a laugh. Reminded me of a former workmate who would slap both sides of the monitor, and then kick the PC which was beneath the desk. Crazy, irrational behaviour, and highly unlikely to help

I'm thinking it might be a problem with a digital signal.
Try using an older style of cable (if available) between the computer and the monitor - ie SVGA not HDMI.

As always, a complete shut-down and restart won't go amis either as a means of troubleshooting.

Nomad
05-06-2009, 10:59 PM
If you want could you run the LCD via VGA instead?

If the monitor worked in DVI way before or whatever and not now .. then there is something wrong with it. In my case from day 1 it went off and back on every now and then but I changed the video card and it was fine.