PDA

View Full Version : Computer speakers inoperative - sound otherwise OK

Neptune83
19-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Windows XP SP3. Acer laptop 2300

One day noticed no sound from computer speakers. Checked all the various programs that have speaker settings - all set to max.

One headphone works fine in USB ports as does another that plugs into the mic/headphone "jscks" as does the "golfball" MP3-type speaker - all programs that should produce sound do so OK - but not when I use only the computer speakers.

I keep thinking there must be something silly I have missed. Do I have any way to check further before going to a tech and being without my laptop for who knows how long?

Many thanks for useful advice.

Speedy Gonzales
19-03-2009, 09:09 PM
The USB headphones probably changed to the default device.

Look under the audio tab in sounds and audio device in control panel

If its not on the onboard soundcard thats why you'll get no sound

Neptune83
20-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Speedy - !muchas gracias por su ayuda, senor! :thumbs:

I Tried as you said, but the actual "tree" is a bit different for the help of anyone else with the same problem:

Sounds & Audio: audio: sound playback: default device (mine reads "Conexant AMC audio" as the only choice): Volume (mine is on full): Advanced: Speakers: Speaker setup:

There is now a list of perhaps ten different possibilities. Mine is on "Laptop stereo".

I do appreciate your taking time to help, but this appears not to be the problem. Any other thoughts? Does it make sense that part of the sound card is bad? Doesn't seem very likely...

Blam
20-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Doubt its the sound card problem. Since it works with other speaker. May be the connection between the laptop speakers and sound card

Neptune83
20-03-2009, 01:16 PM
OK - TNX