PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express Folders.

Poppa John
19-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Hi All. Recently I copied a whole bunch of folders ready to do a backup.
I seem to have lost a few of the OE folders that sit down the left side of the screen.
Now, I (& you) know that I am far from computer intelligent. It is possible that when I said Copy I may have clicked Move.
OE folders are in BackDocs6 in My Documents, so they are not lost.
How do I get them back to thier proper place? Thanks. PJ.

wainuitech
19-03-2009, 07:31 PM
open OE - file / import / Messages / Select OE6 (click next) Select " import From an OE6 Store Directory" (Click OK) Browse to where they are, select them import (I think from memory)

Poppa John
22-03-2009, 08:08 PM
WT...Thankyou for the above. Sorry I have not got back sooner. Couple of bad days. Had a severe reminder that a 70 year old bloke should not be up a ladder.
One question tho. I worked thro what you have put & I can handle that. But...when I Import, do I COPY a folder, or MOVE it & thereby delete it? PJ

Poppa John
23-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Bump. PJ

wainuitech
23-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Always pays to COPY - that way the originals stay where they are and if anything goes wrong - no harm done.

Had a severe reminder that a 70 year old bloke should not be up a ladder.
Oh dear - did you get locked out - :p ,age is only a number - my next door neighbor was 87 when the BIG C got him - up till then he was always on the go - put a lot of younger people to shame.

Sweep
23-03-2009, 07:22 PM
WT...Thankyou for the above. Sorry I have not got back sooner. Couple of bad days. Had a severe reminder that a 70 year old bloke should not be up a ladder.
One question tho. I worked thro what you have put & I can handle that. But...when I Import, do I COPY a folder, or MOVE it & thereby delete it? PJ

Moving files removes or deletes from where they were and puts them elsewhere. Copy keeps the originals and you have a copy elsewhere as well.

Importing into Outlook Express will keep the originals and put them where Outlook Express can use them. Sorry, it's quite a while since I used Outlook Express but I have an idea you would be looking for a *.wab file and indexes.

Open Outlook Express click file, import and find your back up. Then import.
It rather depends on how the files were backed up though. To Backup you open Outlook Express and click file, export. If you did not do that then you may have problems getting the database back again.

wainuitech
23-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Sorry, it's quite a while since I used Outlook Express but I have an idea you would be looking for a *.wab file and indexes.

Close -- .wab = Windows Address book

outlook Express files are .dbx

Then there windows mail , different again - cant remember that one of the top of my head.

Poppa John
23-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Ok Folks, this is what I have done so far.

Bring up the folder, No6, in MyDocuments. Open it. It is a compressed Doc. Select 13 folders & copy to a new one called Copyoe. I think I need to unzip(?) them before I can carry on with WTs instructions.

How do I do that please? PJ

Sweep
23-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Ok Folks, this is what I have done so far.

Bring up the folder, No6, in MyDocuments. Open it. It is a compressed Doc. Select 13 folders & copy to a new one called Copyoe. I think I need to unzip(?) them before I can carry on with WTs instructions.

How do I do that please? PJ

So you can now read the backups you made in my documents which were supposed to occupy six DVDs. I did wonder how you got several gigabytes to be 102 Megs.

Have you still got Outlook Express installed and with your address book and messages and all folders available?

It is a compressed what? A *.zip file or *.rar?

OPEN Outlook Express assuming you have all data present.

Click File, Export. You can then backup your address book into one file and your messages into another file.

I would suggest you export the address book as a *.csv file which can be imported back into Outlook express. The messages can be exported from Outlook Express to a MAPI client or to Outlook. I suggest you use Outlook as your Email Client as all Messages can be imported back to there.

I do know that you have Outlook 2003 as you have Office 2003 with word, publisher, excel and etc.

Greven
23-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Is everything sorted now? I suggest you get an external hard drive for backups to make things a lot easier in the future. IF you splash out & get one of the Western Digital (I think - could be seagate) drives that comes with it's own backup software, it will even let you read your backed up email on any computer.

Poppa John
23-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Is everything sorted now? I suggest you get an external hard drive for backups to make things a lot easier in the future. IF you splash out & get one of the Western Digital (I think - could be seagate) drives that comes with it's own backup software, it will even let you read your backed up email on any computer.

Not possible in the forseeable future. PJ

Poppa John
23-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Sweep...Just to recap.

A while back I tried to do a Nero backup. I could not open these discs as they locked up the computer.

Attempt 2.

Recently I tried again. This time I made 7 new folders in My Docs & called them BackDocs1 to 7. No6 is OE. I copied folders that I wanted to backup into each of these folders.
To get all of OE Local Folders, addresses netc I had to compress No6. In the Drop Down box...Send To...I selected Compresses Zip File... as per builtin MS program.

I still cannot open any of these 7 DVDs, they lockup the comp when I put one in the drive.

I have made a copy of disc 6, to Disc 8 so that I can play around with it. When I do what WT said in Post 2, I get all the way thro & get a cannot open type message.

I think I need to Extract Disc 8 (OE Folders) before I can copy folders back to their right place. Somehow I have 'lost' 13 folders off the bottom of OE Local Folders.

Does that make sense? PJ

wainuitech
23-03-2009, 10:22 PM
For the compressed Folders - what program are you using to extract them ?

Personally I install on all computers and use Izarc (http://www.izarc.org/index.html) - it looks a lot like Winzip - costs nothing, easy to use and DOESN'T bug you to buy an upgraded version.

If you decided to install Izarc:

What I would do in your case is put in the CD that has the OE compressed files. Have a folder someplace - desktop always good and easy to find, when you look at the CD, it should show Icons, right click /Izarc/Extract To Example here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Izarc.jpg), then navigate to the desktop folder, hit extract and there "should" be your saved files.

Poppa John
24-03-2009, 10:12 AM
WT...Thanks for that, will try later.

Strangely.....The discs will open in Maryann's computer. Makes me wonder if my settings are wrong or summat. PJ

Poppa John
24-03-2009, 08:52 PM
I concede defeat. Thanks for all your help. At least I know I have a recent Backup that I can read on Maryann's computer. So I am safe for now.

Still does not answer why these 7 discs open on Maryann's computer & not mine. PJ

wainuitech
24-03-2009, 09:20 PM
First thing that comes to mind - are both Yours and Maryann's drive both the same, brand make model etc ?? Could be a fault in your drive possibly.

If you want to experiment - down load This recovery Program (http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/cd.html) - its free - Install it, put in one of the unreadable CD's on your PC and see if it can read / recover the data - if it does then that would suggest some sort of software problem - not hardware.