PDA

View Full Version : Strange Internet Issues

lagbort
19-03-2009, 04:55 PM
ok, so for the last few days I have been having a weird issue with my internet.

when downloading files, about every 5 seconds firefox will stop downloading and pop up with the message

"<file> could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

Try again later, or contact the server administrator."

if I tell it to restart the download it will go for about another 5 seconds then repeat the error, about half the time it will just stop downloading the file altogether and appear as though it has finished but the file is far smaller than it is supposed to be.

the second issue I believe is related; when watching flash video online (youtube etc.) it will stop buffering after 5 or so seconds and I have to keep refreshing the page and let it buffer in 5 second increments.

no other computer or device on my network suffers the same issue

at first I thought it was a firefox issue, but I get the same problems in Internet explorer and Opera, I have tried changin dns servers to no avail.
I have restarted my modem.
I have tried a new modem.
I have uninstalled everything installed since this issue began.

all appear to have done squat.

any ideas?

Speedy Gonzales
19-03-2009, 05:06 PM
This is what it means (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Source_file_could_not_be_read)

Is the latest version installed?

It was a bug in earlier versions of FF

Its probably the server / site youre getting whatever from, (if its only one site thats doing it), its probably stuffed

If youre with Xnet (and probably other ISPS), videos on Youtube will stop and start

Sweep
19-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Lagbort. Does this only happen when downloading from one site?

Blam
19-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Try updating the wireless drivers to the latest version.

Uninstall with manufacturers removal tool or in device manager.

If that fails to work, right click the wireless device in device manager>properties>untick 'Allow the computer to turn this device off" for vista, and for XP go to advanced tab and turn power save mode to off.

Blam

lagbort
19-03-2009, 07:11 PM
To answer all the above questions;

Speedy: it happens in all browsers not just firefox, also the flash video error happens on all flash video sites

Sweep: It happens for all downloads, but not torrents

Blam: I am on a wired connection

wainuitech
19-03-2009, 07:17 PM
By any chance are you using a D-Link Router ? <<<edited ; thats if it was wireless - but you posted while replying

Are you using Zone Alarm - if so rip it out and see if its any better.

Blam
19-03-2009, 07:45 PM
What AntiVirus/Suite do you have? Try disabling it temporarily and see if it helps

Also, try updating your NIC(What OS is this?)

And try turning off/unticking power safe mode

This is what it looks like in XP, may be different for vista

lagbort
19-03-2009, 08:20 PM
No firewalls active/installed, have tried both with and without anti-virus installed (incidentally ran a couple of scans and came up with no virii/malware).

have updated to latest nic drivers, no change...

this is starting to tick me off...

Blam
19-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Have you tried unticking power safe mode in my previous post? that could be causing drops

lagbort
19-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Just tested that, still the same issue

wainuitech
19-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Take a step back for a second or two --
for the last few days I have been having a weird issue with my internet What has changed then this started, - anything at all no matter how small , updates, programs installed, removed, settings altered ??

If its only a few days ago, you can try running system restore back to before it started. BUT it would be best to find out what actually has changed.

lagbort
19-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Funnily enough I believe I have just fixed it, I changed out my NIC and all seems to be in order again, strange that it only seemed to effect certain network traffic, and that the system seemed to throw up no errors.