PDA

View Full Version : Non Destructive Repair

Kaycee
19-03-2009, 05:59 AM
I have a PC Company machine where a Non Destructive Repair has been done on it.

Its is slow to start up

The graphics resolution cant be moved and is on lowest 4 bit

The main concern is to get all the pictures/documents off but the machine will not recognise a thumb drive or external hard drive.

Have tried burning these to cd with nero but it comes up with a COM/OLE error.

Your help/ideas would be greatly appeciated

gary67
19-03-2009, 06:38 AM
You could try some free burning software such as burnaware free. DO you have another computer is so you could remove the Hard drive and plug it into the other computer as an external. One other way is to put a bootable linux CD in and boot from it then while running the linux from the CD copy all the data to a thumb drive. The last method might mean changing the boot order in the bios to boot from CD first Hard drive second

Kaycee
19-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Thank you Gary for you reply.
I will try a free burn programme first and see if that works and then go for slaving it on another machine.

The Linux idea seems complicated plus I dont have a linux cd

Will get back to you and let you know how I get one.

Cheers

Have a great day

beama
19-03-2009, 07:00 AM
want motherboard has it got I maybe able to help with drivers
also try a live linux cd to get the data off that should reconise your usb drive and enable access to the H/D

pctek
19-03-2009, 07:33 AM
I have a PC Company machine where a Non Destructive Repair has been done on it.

The graphics resolution cant be moved and is on lowest 4 bit

The main concern is to get all the pictures/documents off

You sure? because that would not have affected drivers at all. Which are now missing.

Take the drive out and slave it to another PC and retrieve the data.
Then I'd do a fresh complete format and install.......then add the drivers too!

Blam
19-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Download Knoppix from here:
http://www.knoppix.org/

Burn it to cd with another computer with ImgBurn/BurnawareFree
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Then set the bios to boot from cd, and boot into knoppix.

Plug in a flash drive/external storage and copy the stuff over.

Blam

Myth
19-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Download Knoppix from here:
http://www.knoppix.org/

Burn it to cd with another computer with ImgBurn/BurnawareFree
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Then set the bios to boot from cd, and boot into knoppix.

Plug in a flash drive/external storage and copy the stuff over.

BlamOr if you have a capped download limit and don't want to blow it on a Linux download, cruise in Dick Smith, they sell various Linux CD's

Or if you local to a linux user in this forum, they may be able to send/give you a disc or come round and help you

Kaycee
20-03-2009, 06:22 AM
Many thanks for all your replies, I really appreciate it.

I downloaded Linux last night so that should be ready to try tonight :) Thank you Blam6 for giving me the links.

Once I have got what I need off the machine, I will format it.

Yes ... I have been told a non destructive repair shouldn't do what its done, pass to hard.

I will come back if I get stuck :)

Have a great day

wainuitech
20-03-2009, 09:01 AM
I have been told a non destructive repair shouldn't do what its done, pass to hard Thats true it shouldn't have dropped all the drivers, but along those lines who ever did it, obviously didn't do the job right in the first place.

Being a PC Company PC - they didn't exactly use high quality components.

Since the PC Company have been gone now for some time, meaning the age of the machine you may also find there are other problems arising - hardware starting to fail etc - all that can cause those problems.

Have you got the drivers for the motherboard etc ? some times they gave you what they call a recovery CD, which was simply a copy of windows, no drivers installed.

They sometimes gave you a Driver CD, other times the drivers will be in a folder on the C: drive - if you wipe the drive without saving the drivers (if they are there) then you will have to download them again from the manufactures site.

linw
20-03-2009, 04:01 PM
The ol' PC Company! Sounds like history to me. Saw one of these about 18 mths ago which was still going! Actually, WT, they seem to last longer than modern machines so their components can't have been too bad. They seem to have made better electrolytics in those days.

But, as you say, they did have a restore CD and drivers supplied.

wainuitech
20-03-2009, 04:11 PM
The majority Of PC Company PC's I have worked on over the years all had ESC Motherboards - and that is what had failed or was giving problems.
Most were socket 478 - which of course are no longer produced - rest of the Hardware was OK.