PDA

View Full Version : How good are Acer laptops?

Bazman
19-03-2009, 05:34 AM
I read quite a bit of reviews of various models already and as would happen you're left with mixed feelings. Some people say they're absolutely great, others says they're crap. Hardware, BOD, not starting seemed to be recurring issues. I guess there isn't a definitive verdict on the brand, but was just wondering what people here generally think of Acer laptops?

gary67
19-03-2009, 06:39 AM
Well step son had one for 3 years no problems at all still going as far as we know. Others have had nothing but problems with them

pctek
19-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Ignore people who say they had one without problems.
Lucky them - they must have been one of the 70% that didn't get a problem.

They use terrible quality hardware and have a failure rate of (per what I have seen) of around 30%.
The helpdesk is jammed all the time, I had the misfortune to need to ring them for a customer once - "You are 58 in the queue....." 3 hours later I was told I couldn't log the fault this way because it wouldn't accept the SN - but had to do it via their online form.

After filling out the customers life story on it, and getting a completely incorrect and ignorant response, filled out more info, and after 4 days of this back and forth stuff got a reply saying it was out of warranty. Now it was close to its sad little 1 year warranty - but not over it - unfortunately the shop it was bought from was overseas and it wasn't practical to pop over there with it.

I see more Acers with dead hardware (screens, motherboards) than any other PC at all.

Complete ****.

wainuitech
19-03-2009, 08:15 AM
I read quite a bit of reviews of various models already and as would happen you're left with mixed feelings. Some people say they're absolutely great, others says they're crap. Hardware, BOD, not starting seemed to be recurring issues. I guess there isn't a definitive verdict on the brand, but was just wondering what people here generally think of Acer laptops? You're right in what you say - its an open ended question really. Some people have had problems some have not.

I know several People who have Acers no problems at all apart from software and that can happen to any Laptop/PC. My own Acer is 6 years old - never missed a beat, and I only just reinstalled it with a New drive a few weeks back because the old 30GB drive it had was getting to full.

Then if you look at repairs --- out of the laptops I have had through the Workshop- there have been more Compaq's & Toshibas than Acers - but someone else can have the exact opposite.

CYaBro
19-03-2009, 08:24 AM
I have had a good run with Acer laptops and their mini PCs. (Veritons)
Wouldn't touch their standard desktops though :groan:
They aren't my first choice as Toshiba or Asus are better.

The computer division we have just bought had sold a lot of Acer laptops and also had no problems until yesterday when we had one come in with faulty RAM.
We replaced it with a module from our stock and gave the laptop back to the client.
Then we tried to contact Acer support to get the faulty one replaced under warranty and that's where the problems started.
As pctek said you wait a long time in the queue and when we did get through they said we had to send the whole laptop to Auckland from where it would get sent to Australia! Yes that's what I said, Australia! To replace a RAM module!

So we have now decided that we won't be selling Acer laptops anymore :rolleyes:

Not sure when their service was moved to Aus.

Blam
19-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Never had an acer, but I've heard a lot of bad comments about them on this forum.

Personally I have used Toshiba, Asus and HP and they have been quite reliable.

Sometimes I reckon that most laptops are similar. If it comes down to price/features etc I wouldn't worry too much about the brand.

Blam

wratterus
19-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Different again here - by far the most failures are Compaq. We sell a fair few acers, and they have been reasonably good. But I know full well that Acer have one of the higher failure rates, and don't recommend them for this reason. And the warranty support is absolutly ****. It gives the reseller a bad look - the customer often doesn't understand that when a laptop is under warranty, nine times out of ten the reseller cant do anything to it without voiding the warranty - and it has to go to Auckalnd or Aussie for a month to get fixed. Sometimes for really unreasonable things like RAM. HP and Compaq do have excellent warranty support though. Visual Group in Auckalnd, Wellington and Christchurch are brilliant.

That was referring to laptops. Acer HP and Compaq make really bad desktops, especially Acer. Anyone who buys a normal sized brand name desktop is a muppet. :p I've also found the Veritons to be good.

Toshiba and Asus have always been excellent. My favourite is Toshiba. Sony are the worst IMO, we sell next to none though, and most of them have come back with some sort of hardware issue at some point.

smurf
19-03-2009, 03:27 PM
I have had my Acer Aspire 5024WLMi for about three years now and it has proved to be very reliable except for the DVD drive which crapped out with three months but was replaced under warrantee.

Therefore from my perspective i would have to say I think they are good machine but as others will have told you, there is always someone with an opposite experience:)

pcuser42
19-03-2009, 03:53 PM
I had an old Acer (it ran Windows 98 :p) and the build quality wasn't very good. The screen hinge cracked and fell apart.

pctek
19-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Because it comes down to what hardware is in them - whatever label on the front.

Buy an ASUS.

Grimy
19-03-2009, 08:45 PM
No problem with my 3 or 4 yr old Acer laptop. Gets used as a backup PC when I'm fiddling with the desktop (not Acer), DVD player by the son in the car, for showing photos to family, etc.
However, I wouldn't recommend any brand, as you'll always be wrong!
The IT guy at work advised me not to get an Acer. I kept reminding him of that when his laptop kept giving trouble...........

Bazman
19-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the replies. Tempted not to go down Acer road. Stories of sending it up to Auckz and Aussie just for RAM and things really scare the cr*p out of me.

I certainly believe potentially every brand will have it's little problems and stuff, but of all the things I've read about Acer, I'm just not confident enough to invest serious money into one.