PDA

View Full Version : MS Outlook Crash

smurf
18-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Help...Outlook has been working fine today but when I went to open it a moment ago, it failed to do so and gave this error msg. There is nothing that I have done that I am aware of that would allow me to account for this.

"Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. Errors have been detected in the file C:\Documents and Settings\Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook pst. Quit all mail enabled applications and then use the Inbox repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair error in the file. For more information about the Inbox prepair tool see Help"

Now the problem is when I try to locate the pst file, it is missing. I can't scan it because when I type in the Run Dialogue box: scanpst.exe.....it says it can't locate it.....

What can I do?

Speedy Gonzales
18-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Search for it, scanpst isnt in the system folder (its an office file, not a file that windows installs).

So if you run it from run, it probably wont find scanpst

Search for scanpst then run it

The Local settings folder is normally hidden, you have to go to tools/folder options / view tab in my computer, and select show hidden files and folders

wainuitech
18-03-2009, 04:18 PM
See if you can repair Office- you have not said what version of Outlook, but going by the path its in XP anyway.

Click start/ All Programs, Locate MS Office, expand it - Locate Outlook then HOLD DOWN the CTRL key, and click Outlook - you will get a message popping up asking to start Outlook in safe mode, click YES.

Assuming it opens - click help - Detect and repair. (thats for office 03).

Locate the PST file first, and copy it out, in the search select search hidden files and folders - type in *.pst That will find all pst files.

smurf
18-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Speedy : Thank you. Did all that you suggested but still no pst file located.
Wainuitech: Version = Office 2007.
Tried what you suggested. I selected YES when asked if I wanted to open in Safe Mode and all it gave me was a repeat of the error msg. ie it wouldn't open.

wainuitech
18-03-2009, 05:00 PM
To run Scanpst.exe you have to go and manually run it, open Computer - then navigate to its location.

Its located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12

Follow instructions here (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/microsoft-office/fix-your-broken-outlook-personal-folders-pst-file/) to fix.

Note:Was going to write it out but gotta run out for a moment.

Open Computer - on left click organise/ folder and search options/View- select show hidden folders.

Your PST file is located %USERPROFILE%\app Data\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

smurf
18-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Wainuitech: Thank you for your help and I have it all sorted now. Well done :) Speedy thank you for your help too :)