PDA

View Full Version : Domain name registration question

Tony
18-03-2009, 11:42 AM
A friend is wanting to register a .com domain name, and it appears to be unavailable. Unexpected, as it is his (unusual) name, but there you go. I did a whois on the domain name, and eventually found that it appears to be registered in Germany, and expired in January, but is in the "redemption period". Does this mean what I think it means? I'm assuming that when the redemption period expires the name will become available?

So what is the best way forward for my friend? Can he effectively put his name on the list to get the name if it becomes free? How will he know when this happens and how does he go about it?

Mary
18-03-2009, 12:44 PM
You were able to find out it's in the "redemption period", sometimes you are able to also find out the dates for this. If not you could find out which domain name registrar it's being held through and contact them direct - worth a try.

Tony
18-03-2009, 01:47 PM
OK, this is pasted from the info I found:

ICANN Registrar: KEY-SYSTEMS GMBH
Created: 2002-01-08
Expires: 2009-01-08
Updated: 2009-02-21
Registrar Status: redemptionPeriod
Name Server: SERVER1-NS1.UDAGDNS.NET (has 343,972 domains)
Name Server: SERVER1-NS2.UDAGDNS.NET
Name Server: SERVER1-NS3.UDAGDNS.NET
Whois Server: whois.rrpproxy.net
Server Data
Domain Status: On-hold (redemption Period)

So does that mean we have to get in touch with KEY-SYSTEMS GMBH, or could he do it through his local ISP?

bevy121
18-03-2009, 03:22 PM
What means the status Status REDEMPTION PERIOD or QUARANTAINE?
Aus DD24 Wiki
Wechseln zu: Navigation, Suche

The status REDEMPTION PERIOD, Pending Delete Restorable or QUARANTAINE of a domainname displays that this domain has not been renewed. Domains in the REDEMPTION PERIOD can only get restored at a price of 90 Euros per Domain + VAT. But they can only get restored at the current registrar. The REDEMPTION PERIOD takes 30 days. After that the domain Status changes to "pending delete" , this phase takes 5 days. Within these 5 days a restorement of the domain will not be possible anymore. When the 5 days "pending delete" phase is over, the domain will get deleted at the registry and can be registered worldwide

Info from their "Domain Portal"

So I guess after 35 days of expiration, the domain name should be available for purchase thru any seller - so technically it should be listed as available again now...

Tony
18-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks for that. As you say, it looks like it ought to be available, but as of this morning, it was still saying "redemption period".

So I guess my friend just needs to keep asking/checking every few days until he gets an update.

Tony
18-03-2009, 03:46 PM
If I understand what I've been reading, the Whois server is whois.rrpproxy.net. How do I actually interrogate that?

Mary
18-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Key Systems in Germany is obviously the registrar, you could bug them directly or check with your local registrar to see if they know the procedure.

Tony
18-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I guessed that might be it.

Thanks for the help.