PDA

View Full Version : DVD player - discs that cannot be played

FoxyMX
17-03-2009, 08:20 PM
I want to copy our home videos from standard VHS tapes onto DVD and whilst reading the manual of our Panasonic DVD-RV32 DVD player I came across this (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DVD_disks.jpg).

Now, I don't know if I am reading it wrong or not but under the "Discs that cannot be played" it appears that I cannot create SVCD discs or use DVD-RW discs, nor create photo CDs to play on this DVD player. :confused:

So this idea of mine to copy my tapes onto DVDs and play them on this player is not going to work? Right or wrong? :confused:

Incidentally the photo slideshow DVDs that I have created with ProShow work fine using DVD-R DVDs.

Speedy Gonzales
17-03-2009, 08:37 PM
I suppose it depends on what program you use on whether it works or not

I know, when I USED to use Nero, (dont now its too bloated) if I didnt change the booktype in it to DVD-ROM.

Some of the DVD's I burned, didnt / wouldnt play in one DVD player, but they played fine in another

Whoever made it, is probably assuming you cant, (or you dont know how to make it play) on this DVD

It sounds similar to the stereo here. It says it supports Zone 4, BUT it'll play any zone DVD. It didnt say anything in the manual about being multizone

It probably wont play RW (because some people usually format them), and most DVD players wont play a cd or dvd, if you format it first

FoxyMX
17-03-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm using Ulead VideoStudio 8 to capture the video, render and burn it.

Don't really know what I am doing properly yet but the CD that I burnt in SVCD format today was very jerky when played on the DVD player. It is fine when played on the PC, however.

I'm planning to burn DVDs later on when I get to the bigger tapes but after reading the manual I don't know if I'm wasting my time and DVDs or not.

Speedy Gonzales
17-03-2009, 09:30 PM
So youre using Videostudio to record the VHS videos to the hdd?

If you are, how are you getting it from the video to the PC??

USB and what hardware / capture card?

If youre using USB 2, it is not reliable / recommended.

What youre seeing (the jerking) can happen when you use USB

PaulD
17-03-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm planning to burn DVDs later on when I get to the bigger tapes but after reading the manual I don't know if I'm wasting my time and DVDs or not.

Compared with your time the cost of a DVD now compared to a CD blank hardly registers. You could always include several clips on a DVD with a menu.

voyager
17-03-2009, 11:01 PM
You would be better off with a DVD/Harddrive recorder. Copy tapes to the HD by connecting your video player to it then burn from the HD to DVD.

Rob99
18-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Only DVD-R have the DVD mark.214

Myth
18-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Now, I don't know if I am reading it wrong or not but under the "Discs that cannot be played" it appears that I cannot create SVCD discs or use DVD-RW discs, nor create photo CDs to play on this DVD player. :confused:

So this idea of mine to copy my tapes onto DVDs and play them on this player is not going to work? Right or wrong?If you're wanting to save to DVD, you can forget about SVCD (which as you later refer to; is a CD format).
DVD-RW are not a reliable medium anyway (imho) so I wouldn't be copying files to that format anyway

Does Videostudio allow you to write to and make movies on a DVD-R? or is it limited to file sizes and what mediums it can burn to? If it will allow you; make a DVD using DVD-R (the most widely accepted medium on DVD players)

Bantu
18-03-2009, 07:04 AM
You should be using DVD-R as the images shows will work. Make sure you finalize the disk when burning.

DVD quality should be better than SVCD.

You should be able to get around 1˝hrs on a DVD-R depending on what

I have not done much with Videostudio but it should be able to encode at a reasonable encoding bitrate quality, you want to be looking at a minimim of 5. Higher you go the less you can fit on a DVD, but better quality.

Also depends on how you are feeding it into your PC. I can feed in via my Digital Camera, or straight from my VHS player to the PC via a Hauppauge card.

Neil McC
18-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Hi Foxy.
Don't bother using SVCD as DVD's are so cheap now.As Bantu says, the maximum I've been able to get on a DVD using VS is 1 hour 30 minutes of video.Usually aim at 1 hour 20mins.Had to find that out by trial and error,you'd think there'd
be something in the program to let you know when you've reached the limit for your medium!
You can use VirtualDub to split the video files up.

FoxyMX
18-03-2009, 10:25 AM
OK, I think I have caused some confusion here which is not surprising given my own current confused state of mind. :p

The video player is plugged into the PC (not by USB) and the tapes captured using my WinFast TV2000XP capture card. And I told a lie before - I am using the WinFast PVR program to capture the video, not Ulead VideoStudio 8. :blush:

At the moment I am experimenting and trying to figure out how to actually do this job and the tapes I have captured so far are two 10 minute home vids on VHS tapes. As the resulting file is only 700MB I decided to burn to a CD using SVCD to see if it worked in order to prevent wasting a DVD. I don't want to do anything larger until I get it all sussed out and know it is all working properly first. It looks like I am going to have to bite the bullet and burn a DVD to find out now, though. :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for all the advice. I'm going to take the CDs around to a friend's house and see if it plays on their DVD player.

Bantu
18-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Foxy is the file you captured AVI or MPEG?

Burning to CD is not productive as the result is a totally different output. VCD/SVCD is a waste of time as DVD is better quality.

The program you are creating the DVD editing work in - Video Studio I assume can output to DVD. Can it also output to ISO?

If so then you can use that to see how it is going by mounting the ISO for playback.

I often do this to make sure I have all my joins and video/audio effects as I want them before I burn to a DVD.

Speedy Gonzales
18-03-2009, 11:06 AM
That makes a diff then.

So, youre recording with Leadtek's program, you're creating the MPEG file, (It can also burn to DVD, but this may depend on whether your system can keep up) then burning it with Videostudio??

And in Leadtek's options, you've changed it to the best / optimal format?

Zippity
18-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Try using ImgBurn to burn your DVD from HDD file to blank DVD media :)

Zippity
18-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Foxy,

I too use a WinFast TV2000XP capture card with the following settings:

DVD PAL Capture Format profile
MPEG-2 Codec
720 x 576
Bitrate 6000Kbps
Capture Quality - Fast Compression
Frame Rate 25.000fps

Audio Codec MPEG-1 Audio Layer II
Bitrate 224kbps

I use TMPGEnc DVD Author v1.5 to edit/delete/tidy-up the file from the VHS tape.

Paul.Cov
18-03-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm in a very similar position to you.

I also have Panasonic playback hardware, and have worked hard to tailor my media formats and recording media to those that are best with the Panasonic.

The Panasonics are very, very 'standard compliant'. Or to put it another way, they will only handle correctly a limited number of media formats and disc authoring styles - and are just pig stubborn useless if you don't do everything right.

I have a very very cheap Transonic DVD player that will play back anything. Chuck on files in MPEG, AVI, MPEG4 formats and with only a data style structure for files and folders, and this cheapo drive will play them all.

Try the same thing with the Panasonic, and it will barf and play nothing.

If you Pan is like mine, you will have to ensure you are recording a disc in the same manner as the 'professional' discs, with the files in the cryptic .VOB format. For this you'll need decent software. I use VideoStudio (which isn't really decent software) - but it has a very poor compression / quality profile... uses more file size than is reflected by the quality when compared to other codecs like MPEG4.

SVCD is a very low resolution format, and will not do your files justice.

Use PAL DVD format. Make sure it's 704x576 resolution, 25fps.

I don't know about the latest versions of ULead Video Studio, but the earlier versions are good for getting your files into kosher MPEG format. Unfortunately, it won't write them to a DVD, so another app like ULead DVD Movie Factory is needed to then stitch these MPEG files and menues together into the .VOB style of layout that the Panasonic will be happy with.

Good luck. This was all a hair-pulling learning curve for me. There are loads of tricks and traps ahead of you.

Zippity
18-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Use PAL DVD format. Make sure it's 704x576 resolution, 25fps.

I think you have the wrong specs there - should be 720 x 576

FoxyMX
21-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Foxy is the file you captured AVI or MPEG?

MPEG.

The program you are creating the DVD editing work in - Video Studio I assume can output to DVD. Can it also output to ISO?

It will output to ISO but only directly to a disc, not to the hard drive. :(

So, youre recording with Leadtek's program, you're creating the MPEG file, (It can also burn to DVD, but this may depend on whether your system can keep up) then burning it with Videostudio??

And in Leadtek's options, you've changed it to the best / optimal format?

Yes to both.

I've now burnt to a DVD and whilst it plays a lot better than the SVCD did, it does not play as good as it does on the computer.

From what Paul.Cov says, I believe the problem is with the Panasonic DVD player, not with the files or discs, as they play perfectly on the PC. Have yet to try them out on another DVD player.

One thing I am rather pleased about is that the quality I see on my computer is better than on the original tapes viewed on the TV. :thumbs:

Thanks all for your help. :cool:

limepile
21-03-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure, but I think my wife has a panasonic and it prefers DVD +r. We play back on her dvd recorder and our laptops and the discs work fine.
I didn't post this to get into an argument over formats, she just found the recorded quality was better on +R's.....for what its worth.