PDA

View Full Version : new version of itunes

GameJunkie
17-03-2009, 04:45 PM
having trouble installing the new version, problems come up in instillation saying "bonjour cannot be removed" and "your old version of quicktime cannot be removed". i have tried removing bonjour and quicktime manually but to no avail.

i have brought this up before but managed to work around it.

i have downloaded it from the apple site, not the updater.

cheers

Speedy Gonzales
17-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Remove their entries with ccleaner (under tools/uninstall)

Delete their folders in program files (bonjour and itunes). Make sure none of their services / files are running in task manager.

Then delete the folders C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Apple and Apple Computer folders

Then delete C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Apple Computer folder

Then delete C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data Apple and Apple Computer folders

Then use something like the free version of Glary utilties (http://www.glaryutilities.com/)

Click on scan for issues, when its finished click on the same button

You didnt delete any files in the C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information folder did you??

Since I'm pretty sure these are required, if you want to uninstall whatever.

I found this out, thats what I did one day (deleted everything in the above folder), and wondered why the program wouldnt uninstall :p

GameJunkie
17-03-2009, 05:04 PM
i cant seem to find C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information folder.

don't remember deleting it

Speedy Gonzales
17-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Its hidden thats why you cant see it.

You have to go to tools/folder options / view, and select show hidden files and folders

Dont delete it tho as I said. Since none of the programs you've installed, will uninstall

Blam
17-03-2009, 05:37 PM
You could also try REVO....prob should work

wainuitech
17-03-2009, 06:13 PM
had the same problem a while back - followed the instructions from Itunes:
Quit iTunes.
Choose Start > Control Panel.
Windows XP and Windows 2000: In Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs.
Windows Vista: In Control Panel, click Uninstall a program. Alternately, in Classic View of Control Panel, click Programs and Features.
Select iTunes from the list of currently installed programs, then click Remove or Uninstall.
In Windows XP and Windows 2000, when asked if you would like to remove iTunes, select Yes.
In Windows Vista, if your permission is needed to continue, click Continue.
After uninstalling iTunes, do not restart if you are prompted to.
If other entries were present for iTunes remove those as well.
In Add or Remove Programs or Programs and Features, remove any iPod Updater applications that are listed in the same fashion as iTunes was removed.
In Add or Remove Programs or Programs and Features, remove any QuickTime installations that are listed in the same fashion as iTunes was removed.
Restart your computer.
After the computer restarts, open Local Disk C: in My Computer/Computer or whichever disk programs are installed on.
Open the Program Files folder.
Right-click the iTunes folder and select Delete and choose Yes when asked to confirm the deletion. Note: This folder may have already been deleted if iTunes was successfully removed in steps 1-8.
Right click the iPod folder and select Delete and choose Yes when asked to confirm the deletion.
Right-click the QuickTime folder and select Delete and choose Yes when asked to confirm the deletion.
Delete the QuickTime and QuicktimeVR files located in the C:\\Windows\\system32\\folder.
Right-click on the Recycle Bin and on the shortcut menu, click Empty Recycle Bin.
Restart your computer.
But didn't work.:(

Downloaded Windows Cleanup Utility (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301) and located the pieces of the program and that ripped it out fine. Then installed the latest version.

GameJunkie
17-03-2009, 06:22 PM
downloaded windows cleanup utility but it showed an error with the code 800A0046 when trying to install

Speedy Gonzales
17-03-2009, 06:24 PM
If this is Vista, run it as admin

It looks like thats a permission denied error

wainuitech
17-03-2009, 06:45 PM
if it doesn't install under admin, then you may have damaged system files, which could be the problem with Itunes as well - just tried on Vista as normal - straight in no problems.

GameJunkie
17-03-2009, 06:49 PM
do i select everything to do with itunes/apple in windows cleanup utility?

this wont delete all my music will it?

wainuitech
17-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Safest bet is to go to your Itunes music folder and either copy or cut it and put it in another location, that way the music is safe - it can always be put back later, once Itunes is installed again.

GameJunkie
17-03-2009, 07:16 PM
cheers WT, i can always use iDump to copy it back off my ipod if need be

wainuitech
17-03-2009, 07:41 PM
hmmm Never used iDump - All I do is go into the Itunes folder, then the one that has the music cut/past it to the desktop, or copy paste if theres no hurry.

GameJunkie
17-03-2009, 07:44 PM
and then just copy the folder back to its original place.

cheers WT , will try that later

GameJunkie
17-03-2009, 08:37 PM
just an update: ran windows cleanup utility and ccleaner, and deleted all apple/itunes folders.

reinstall of new version went smoothly, thanks for all suggestions

wainuitech
17-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Sweeeeet :thumbs: Thanks for advising all is now well.

PS: yep you're right
and then just copy the folder back to its original place ;)

GameJunkie
17-03-2009, 08:53 PM
cool :), what iDump is it copies the songs you select and copy them to your music folder, then you drag that onto itunes, good for getting music off friend's ipods :D