PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express Junk mail settings.

bellbird
17-03-2009, 02:51 PM
I have just realised that emails which may or may not be Junk or Spam aren't downloading? to Outlook Express since I uninstalled McAfee and installed Avast. Today I logged in to Mail at Yahoo Xtra website and the Spam folder had emails which weren't spam. Are there settings I need to make in Outlook and/or Avast? Wainuitech - you posted in Dec that you used Mailwasher so I'm wondering if this would be the best way to go. Thanks

Blam
17-03-2009, 03:07 PM
AFAIK I think its just Xtras problem.

You could try disabling the mail shield.

But I think its just xtra

Blam

Greven
17-03-2009, 06:00 PM
IF the messages go to your Xtra spam folder, the problem is with Xtra. IF the messages go to your Outlook Express spam folder, the problem is with whatever SPAM filtering software you have installed.

Laura
18-03-2009, 02:28 AM
Perhaps I can be of some help, as I have similar programs installed & have dealt with a similar mystification..
(Well, I've never had McAfee, but had been an avast! user well before Xtra turned itself into Yahoo Xtra Pro Mail)
I checked Yahoo's new version simply because I was away from home.
I'd no reason to use it otherwise, trusting Xtra's earlier filters. What little spam arrived in my Outlook Express inbox was easily deleted and I had no idea how much was being removed without me seeing it.
(Presumably I'd set my OE up that way. Too long ago to remember) All emails I wanted were getting through OK.
When I tried Yahoo's new version, I found to my horror that its spam folder contained junk in the hundreds, which had been mounting up for their total deletion time.
But more worrying were the few "real messages" which I'd missed.

So I checked the instructions...

There is a "Not Spam" button in the choice of actions to take on messages in the Spam folder.
The info says that clicking it will tell the gizmo to treat that sender as genuine from now on.
I have found that this works fine.
So the remedy is in your hands on the Yahoo/Xtra Pro website itself. Mark things as you wish them to be...

But you should keep checking occasionally.
I do it about once a week, in case anybody new has a "suspect" name or title. For instance, a club newsletter came recently from simply "secretary," with a message header that could've been interpreted as spam.

By the way,avast! checks for viruses - not ordinary spam, which is annoying but will not actually damage your computer.( I assume Mailwasher does the same...and no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

So you don't need to fiddle with either that or your Outlook Express for the remedy.

linw
18-03-2009, 09:35 AM
But, for a better solution still, switch to a gmail account as it has a FAR superior spam filter.

bellbird
18-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks everyone. I've downloaded Mailwasher for handling Xtra mail. I couldn't get into Options to look at Spam settings in YahooXtra, I kept getting a error 17 message. I wanted to see if it had been set to delete stuff in the Spam folder after a certain time. Yahoo Xtra just seems too much work.

Laura
18-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks everyone. I've downloaded Mailwasher for handling Xtra mail. I couldn't get into Options to look at Spam settings in YahooXtra, I kept getting a error 17 message. I wanted to see if it had been set to delete stuff in the Spam folder after a certain time. Yahoo Xtra just seems too much work.

Sorry it didn't play nicely for you - though curious about your description of what you tried.

The Not Spam button for genuine messages isn't in the Options, which is at top right of the Inbox page.
It's at the top of the page in the Spam folder. And that's in the vertical list at left of page.

I thought Error 17 involved the registry, so hope your Mailwasher is working OK?
Where does it file spam?

(By the way, Yahoo Xtra gives setting choices for how long spam stays before deletion. The default is a month, I see, but it can be set to immediately, weekly or fortnightly)

linw
18-03-2009, 09:38 PM
How does Mailwasher solve your problem of false positives you outlined in post #1? It is Xtra/Yahoo's filter doing this, as explained, and you, or Mailwasher, can't fix it. The only fix is to use a mail provider that has a primary filter that doesn't give false positives.

Laura
19-03-2009, 12:16 AM
Well, isn't that sweet...

Spam of course and totally irrelevant to the thread.
But sweet...

Rob99
19-03-2009, 01:02 AM
Well, isn't that sweet...

Spam of course and totally irrelevant to the thread.
But sweet...

Thought this thread was about spam :drool

Laura
19-03-2009, 01:40 AM
Thought this thread was about spam :drool

Sure, but - "breaking hearts... binding love."..

this is romantic spam.

Slim
19-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Sorry it didn't play nicely for you - though curious about your description of what you tried.

The Not Spam button for genuine messages isn't in the Options, which is at top right of the Inbox page.
It's at the top of the page in the Spam folder. And that's in the vertical list at left of page.

I thought Error 17 involved the registry, so hope your Mailwasher is working OK?
Where does it file spam?

(By the way, Yahoo Xtra gives setting choices for how long spam stays before deletion. The default is a month, I see, but it can be set to immediately, weekly or fortnightly)

I have looked and searched but cannot see any button "Not Spam" in the spam folder.
There is only the option to move mail to the "In Box".

bellbird
22-03-2009, 08:59 PM

Where does it file spam?

Yes, I knew that the Not Spam button wasn't in Options but Mail Options which includes Spam settings is and that's what I was trying to access. The error 17 appeared whenever I selected Options but I've tried again today and can now access it's dropdown menu.

All my Xtra mail including spam will go to Mailwasher and I can deal with it from there because I can't be bothered having to go to the Xtra website to check if Non Spam mail is sitting there.

The 2 versions of YahooXtra mail (Classic and Pro) on their website was confusing me originally too.

Laura
22-03-2009, 10:34 PM
I don't have Mailwasher myself, so don't know why you find it easier to operate.
But if it's working well for you, that's great.