PDA

View Full Version : Troubled CD/DVD drive

timmy5953
17-03-2009, 02:46 PM
My optical drive, D, is playing up. It is a read and write drive for both CDs and DVDs. Just lately, it is changing all files on the disk to Read Only, and not allowing files to be added to the disc. This occurs despite the fact that all discs used are +RW (re-writable)
I try to copy files to it and it says “you cannot copy or move files over to this CD ROM drive.” The Properties” for a loaded CD or DVD shows file system as UDF and has the big blue pie chart (all space used. Free space = 0). Even when I load a brand new DVD (Imation DVD+RW , Video) the result is a message “D\: is not accessable”. DVDs that have previously held files always have a file called “Non-allocatable space. 0 KB”
If I could I wd re-format the DVD and try it afresh, but the “Format” option is just not available ( I used to have a program called InCD which enabled formatting, but that was uninstalled a year or so back.)
The Properties/Hardware tab shows the device as “HL-DT-ST DVDRAM G5A-4160B” and “This device is working properly”

Any help appreciated. [XP,Avast,Comodofirewall, spybot, A2]

Speedy Gonzales
17-03-2009, 02:51 PM
What are you using to copy whatever to the DVD's??

(If its only happening with DVDRW's)?

Since XP doesnt support copying to DVD natively (from my computer), without an update / patch

Altho most people wouldn't use DVDRW's. Theyre not reliable

Blam
17-03-2009, 03:09 PM
See if this works:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/

Blam

timmy5953
17-03-2009, 10:39 PM
What are you using to copy whatever to the DVD's??

(If its only happening with DVDRW's)?

If i had a DVD or a CDthat was working ok, using Windows Explorer,I would "copy" the files or Folders from C: drive & just paste them to the DVD or CD in the D: drive. I was also using 2 DVDs in alternate weeks to do a backup EZbackitup of MyDocs on the C: drive to previously captured My Docs on the DVD in the D: drive.

Since XP doesnt support copying to DVD natively (from my computer), without an update / patch

Altho most people wouldn't use DVDRW's. Theyre not reliable
WHere wd I find reqd update/patch?
thats a worry abt unreliability of DVD RWs. What wd you recomend instead? is it a particular brand of DVDs Or particular format?

Speedy Gonzales
17-03-2009, 10:58 PM
If i had a DVD or a CDthat was working ok, using Windows Explorer,I would "copy" the files or Folders from C: drive & just paste them to the DVD or CD in the D: drive. I was also using 2 DVDs in alternate weeks to do a backup EZbackitup of MyDocs on the C: drive to previously captured My Docs on the DVD in the D: drive.

Umm I've never actually used copy and paste to an RW, or a CDR or used the send to option in My computer (I dont use RW's).

I would use a program like Nero (not free), or this, which is free (www.cdburnerxp.se)

Or Ezibackup with CDR's or DVD R's (If it supports them)

WHere wd I find reqd update/patch?

Here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B5F726F1-4ACE-455D-BAD7-ABC4DD2F147B&displaylang=en)

thats a worry abt unreliability of DVD RWs. What wd you recomend instead? is it a particular brand of DVDs Or particular format?

DVDR + or - blanks (or CDR's). If whatever youre copying is less than a CD