PDA

View Full Version : Case cooling fans

Tbird650
16-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Hi, my query is to do with effective case cooling and fans configuration. To complicate matters I have a 8600GT silent graphics card with no fan. It has a heat pipe. This appears to rely on air movement to/from case through pipe.
Whats the best fan layout?
In the front ....and in the side (for cpu).?
Out the back... and out the power supply.?

PSU has large fan, probably a 6inch.
Other 3 fans are 80mm

Currently temps are core 47, GPU 50, Mobo 30 & 45, hdd1 39, hdd2 40
Some of these, especially cpu rise when working hard.
How should I determine safe operating temp range? Any views please?

Speedy Gonzales
16-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Well as long as it stays on, its safe :p

You'll soon find out if its hot / overheats

It'll shut down

This case has only got 2 fans at the back 8 or 12mm i think, And the duct thing for the CPU on the side.

It does take 2 fans at the front, but I havent bothered putting any in yet

THE GPU in this gets pretty hot too, about 48-50. It doesnt have a fan either

Tbird650
16-03-2009, 10:21 PM
For temps I am using Speedfan 4.38 beta 10.
The thing about it is the graphic "flame" it has when the temp hits 50C or higher. Below 50 is green tick or blue if it's really cool.
Actually this case hasn't got the side entry funnel for the cpu but I am seriously considering putting one in. Looks like a great idea.

Speedy Gonzales
16-03-2009, 10:28 PM
If 50 is only showing for the CPU, I wouldnt worry about it.

This GPU usually hangs around 48-50, it hasnt blown up YET.

And it is a beta, so may or may not be accurate

Tbird650
16-03-2009, 11:24 PM
And it is a beta, so may or may not be accurateFunny you should say that,because it reports temp3 as minus 128. That's safely ignored!
The other temps are all very sensitive to the work load.

Speedy Gonzales
16-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Whats the CPU?

Because if its an Intel Quad, the temp sensor on some of these are bung / stuffed anyway.

So, it doesnt / wont matter what program you use to monitor the CPU temp, it'll be wrong

Oops my previous post should read GPU, NOT CPU

Sweep
16-03-2009, 11:46 PM
So what case do you have?
The reason I ask is as do not know without going through all earlier posts made by you.

Tbird650
17-03-2009, 12:17 AM
So what case do you have?
Older unbranded ATX. Has facility for 1 fan front & 1 back. Actually I have other cases I could use but none have the side cpu vent. I might have to improvise.

The board has cool n quiet which can make quite a difference to the noise level.

Blam
17-03-2009, 12:23 PM
2 fans at the front of the case and 1 at the back.

Make sure no cables are blocking the airflow to the HSF for the CPU

Tbird650
17-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Speedy...the cpu is a phenom II.

I've been studying fans, looking at db ratings. It seems that yes I can get a quiet fan but they don't appear to pump the quantity of air as a higher db one does.
I have used the trick of running 12v fans on lower voltage. It worked great through winter on my old PC, but when the warm weather arrived it was time to restore 12V to the fan again.
Has anyone put a fan in the base panel of the PC case? A decent size fan would fit 120 - 150mm. Same could be for the top.... or is there a drawback to the idea?

Tbird650
18-03-2009, 10:58 PM
I made a discovery of sorts. I found that if I have the fans in the configuration:
Rear fan: out
Front fan: in
PSU: out
CPU: in
This set up will make the graphics card run 8 -10 degrees hotter than if I swap the front fan to: out.
I reason that unless there is air flow through the en8600gt silent graphics card' heat pipe, it runs correspondingly hotter.

I'm going to get some 120mm fans and run them with the cool n quiet system. I'm sick of the constant drone! From what I've read, a bigger fan pumping the same amount of air does so at a lower rpm, so is quieter.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Blam
18-03-2009, 11:20 PM
If its just the GFX card getting hot, would this work?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Cooling-fans/auction-207506507.htm

Tbird650
20-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Blam... quite an interesting idea. May follow that one up. Thanks.

When I bought the silent graphics card, I thought... you beaut, a card without a noisy fan.... my 1st step toward a quieter PC!
What they don't tell you is: other fan/s in your case have to do the work.

One improvement I found today was when I swapped out the rear fan for a higher speed one. Cool n quiet runs it at about 1070rpm while the quieter, slower fan ran at 700rpm. That change made a difference of 5C to the GPU.

The plan now, is to get 120mm case fans of a high speed for their type and let cool n quiet regulate their speed. This way I'm hoping to get perfomance/efficiency when I need it and quietness otherwise.

Anyone using Asus cool n quiet have a comment or experience?