PDA

View Full Version : Wireless doesn't work

Nomad
15-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Hi, I have had my Linksys ADSL router for 2yrs or more now. G version. One PC has a G series PCI card. A laptop has a ASUS G series PC Card.

I've always had the router upstairs in my room. The PC directly downstairs most times could get a connection. The laptop in the lounge could also.

I've relocated the router downstairs cos the tv and xbox are there. My PC directly upstairs now most of the time cannot get a connection, it says limited network connectivity, or cannot connect to access point, or connect to access point but no internet. Sometimes a reboot fixes it but when I put my mouse over it, I am getting a 1Mbit connection and it also says reception is very good. With that, opening a webpage even pc world or google can take me 10 minutes.

Before when router upstairs, the PC downstairs could get a 20-56Mbit connection.

Is it router upstairs better? Is wireless temperamental?

If I decide to wire the house with network cable, is there a limitation in the length? I mean to wire it up like a office. How all the bedrooms and the lounge have them.

Like before and like now, I have gone back to the router in my room so it can be connected by wire.

Cheers :D

Nomad
15-03-2009, 05:41 PM
PS. Even right now with the router next to my PC, it says connection excellent, speed is 1.0Mbps.

It just updated itself saying, connected to access point and the internet. Just a moment ago, it said, connected to access point but cannot access the internet.

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Wired would probably be better / more reliable than wireless

I'm using 35m to the bedroom here, its fine. It gets on the net, and file transfers work fine

What are you using for the wireless? WEP? WPA?

What about firewalls?

Nomad
15-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Firewall - ZA. Commodo or what was just too hard for me to use. Plus some software went via the cracks when I said don't access it.
Security: WPA Personal, TKIP.

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2009, 05:56 PM
I would go into its options and see what you forgot to add. That may fix it

Do both support WPA personal ?

Nomad
15-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Nah .. just ZA now.
Comodo was uninstalled long time ago.
I have shutdown ZA and see if help but doesn't.

wainuitech
15-03-2009, 06:08 PM
if ZA is playing up , shutting it down wont usually do any good, it will still be blocking.

Had that same problem several times, you have to uninstall ZA completely.

Sometimes ZA gets damaged and even then wont uninstall had that problem last week) once I used the Zone Alarm Removal tool (http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=inst&message.id=84334) from ZA's site - the network started working again.

If I decide to wire the house with network cable, is there a limitation in the length? 100Mtrs it quite safe.

Regarding not being able to get on the Internet with the security - try turning off the security altogether ( as a test) see if it will connect with no security.
If it connects with no security - try enabling at the lowest, then gradually increase until it stops again, then take 1 step back in the settings.

Blam
15-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Try changing the wireless channel in your router's GUI and see if it makes difference.

And is your home phone close to your router? And is it using the same 2.4ghz frequency?

It may be interfering

Blam

Nomad
15-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks, I give it a go.

We don't have wireless phones or anything else, bluetooth, keyb, mouse, nope.

Nomad
22-03-2009, 09:39 PM
if ZA is playing up , shutting it down wont usually do any good, it will still be blocking.

Had that same problem several times, you have to uninstall ZA completely.

Sometimes ZA gets damaged and even then wont uninstall had that problem last week) once I used the Zone Alarm Removal tool (http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=inst&message.id=84334) from ZA's site - the network started working again.

100Mtrs it quite safe.

Regarding not being able to get on the Internet with the security - try turning off the security altogether ( as a test) see if it will connect with no security.
If it connects with no security - try enabling at the lowest, then gradually increase until it stops again, then take 1 step back in the settings.

Still having issues. We don't have any wireless device apart from my cellphone, I don't even have a stereo remote here.

I have uninstalled ZA. Same thing.
The thing is that the connections says excellent, 1.0Mbps.
Then it drops out and Linksys utility says, connect to access point but no internet access. Then eventually it says cannot connect to access point. And, it goes into scanning mode and the windows icon puts a cross on the wireless connection.

I am using the laptop which is upstairs and further away.
The PC that the issue is with, is directly upstairs.

Have tried numerous times restarting, least 5x.
Sometimes a restart works and gets a connection from nil to 1.0Mbps but then a moment later it goes back to scanning mode.

Blam
22-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Might be a driver issue or the Wireless card might be stuffed.

try another W/L card and see if it happes

Nomad
22-03-2009, 09:47 PM
FYI, the laptop has a 36.0Mbps connection the PC upstairs directly has a 1.0 if it is lucky.
When it goes into scanning mode it may take >15mins or more to get a connection. I don't know cos I don't check on it often, the last occasion maybe 2hours. Went back and it was on. Could surf the web and stuff. Internet speed not sure if impacted cos I am on a 256k connection so the 1.0 hasn't been a bottleneck.

Speedy Gonzales
22-03-2009, 09:47 PM
1.0 mbps? It sounds like its just managing to pick it up

The signal isnt strong enough, which is why its disconnecting all the time

wainuitech
22-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Sometimes a restart works and gets a connection from nil to 1.0Mbps but then a moment later it goes back to scanning mode. Thats sounds a lot like a weak signal problem - are you using Windows Zero Configuration for the wireless or some other manufactures software?

When you do have a connection - if using Windows Zero Configuration double click on the icon in the tray - and see what strength Bar you have.

Also check the Ariel on the router has not come lose.

Just a thought --- look in the available networks - is there any other persons network withing range ?

Nomad
22-03-2009, 10:12 PM
The computer is directly upstairs to the router.
The PCI card antenna has been checked.
I am uisng the Linksys software utility, on both bars, signal strength and link quality it is full up 10/10 or so ...

Under site survey - no one nearby.

No one should be using my router either, no one at home and its hidden, SSID not broadcasted.

wainuitech
22-03-2009, 10:43 PM
What I would do is take the Wireless back several steps , meaning drop the security, make the SSID visible - try it with NO security (for the short while 5- 10 minutes, its unsecure you would have to be real unlucky to get attacked)

See what happens with No security - if it connects OK and stays connected, then start introducing the security bit by bit - first start at wep 64 - with the SSID, see what happens, then increase untill it turns turtle again, go back one step at that point.

I have seen it more times than I care to remember, security is to tight and theres problems because of it.

Nomad
23-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Hmm... SSID visible, no security, I am now getting 54Mbps. :D

Now I gotta slowly raise the security.

Nomad
23-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Full power now :D
I re enabled SSID not visible and wpa pre shared key. Still at 54Mpbs strangely enof.

wainuitech
24-03-2009, 08:26 AM
:thumbs: Good it working again - something may have got muddled up, and resetting fixed it.

Nomad
24-03-2009, 07:42 PM
I will need to test again.
Today after work, it again didn't work, at first it did then it cut off, it was at 54Mbps then 36. Then it said connected to access point but no internet then eventually neither to both.

If I manually connect it via the software, it would connect but it cannot even get into the IP address of the router's software.

Will need to report back, as for now, I am back on network cable to write this.

At the time I was using WEP 128 security downgraded and still happened.

Nomad
26-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Just updating.

The consistent thing I get is:
It starts good with a good reception, then after a while it loses the connection, updating site survey does not work, restarting does not work, restarting the router does not help. It comes back on after it give it some time and you repeat and repeat to connect. It gets a low signal of 24Mbps then it climbs to 48Mbps.

Most time when you refresh it does nothing, like it is dead.
A few times when you refresh, it gets a connection of the green bars in my Linksys software then a split second it goes blank. Repeat a few times and it goes away quickly each time. After a few more and it just plays dead, forever, doesn't even give a flicker of the bars.

As I am typing this last paragraph the reception has now dropped to 36Mbps but now rechecking its back to 48Mbps. I have nothing opened now or any interenet activity, just a non active webpage and typing in this box. Now again check, 36Mbps.

Rob99
26-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Use the windows software and dont hide your SSID.

Nomad
26-03-2009, 08:23 PM
The above message is probably without daylight saving. So 7.04pm = 8.04pm.

As an update 8.12pm the connection broke, site survey won't work, not even connecting to a predetermined list I have there.

But as of 8.20pm wireless is now working again. It is now next to my computer, so I will see if it is still gonna be an issue.

Nomad
26-03-2009, 08:24 PM
SSID is not hiddened.
How do I use the windows utility?

Edit. I found the instructions now, see how it goes now .....

Nomad
31-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Still having issues.

The Windows software works better than Linksys but still problems.

Out of interest, how often should it disconnect usually?

Generally what happen is that it starts working fine, then after some usage, could be an hour or 5min it starts disconnecting and then reconnects by "reacquiring network address" and somtimes it just finds no connection or that it says limited or no connectivity or that it simply connect and tries a long time to acquire network address for some minutes and then gets a connection but you still cannot surf the net, if you do that, it will again break the connection and it goes back to acquiring network address.

This attempt took me an hour to get back online after numerous unsuccesfully restarting and shutting down my PC.

I will try my laptop and see if it does the same thing ....

Nomad
31-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Double post deleted.

Was having issues loading that page with my wireless :D

wainuitech
31-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Just had a quick skim back over the posts - have you tried a different router - it could be packing up- a slow death

Nomad
31-03-2009, 08:32 PM
I've only got one router, bought the same time as this PCI Card.

I do have a laptop with a PCMCIA card, I would be using that to test ..