PDA

View Full Version : Need to buy a Modem/router.

Blackandblue
14-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Hi, I need to buy a modem/router in one. I heard the Dynalink RTA1025W was pretty good. Why is this? wasnt it released/made in 2005? Would seem old technology. What are my other router/modem options?

And im looking to get a 10M ethernet cable to connect two computers or I have the option of getting a wireless network card. Is this what every one is getting? http://www.c1com.co.nz/shop/product.php?number=1402

Thanks.

Blam
14-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Not sure if thats a good brand of wireless, personally I would go for a TP-Link or Linksys one.

And 10m cable:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Cables-adaptors/Networking/auction-207668210.htm

You'll get much better speeds with wired, obviosuly.

Go for a Linksys All in on, they seem to be quite good/reliable

blam

WarNox
15-03-2009, 12:09 AM
Yeah if computers are desktops wired is probably a good option, especially if you're planning on transferring files between the computers. Wireless is generally rather slow when it comes to this.

---

Don't think of it as old technology, it supports ADSL2+ which is the best you can get in NZ right now. Its probably a good thing its a bit older as all the bugs would have been sorted out with the firmware upgrades.

I know my old Dynalink RTA1320 keep "crapping" out but now the new one seems fine, I guess they fixed all the issues with software upgrades. If you asked me about getting a Dynalink 6 months ago I'd have told you to stay away from them but now its a different story.

Although I've also got a linksys and have NEVER had any problems with it :)

Nothing is perfect, as long as it supports all the things you need and has warranty you should be ok. Getting a known good brand/model is a good idea though.

Good luck!!

Gregor

Myth
15-03-2009, 07:04 AM
Linksys WAG200G

As for wired/wireless... depends where your desktop is going to be in relation to your router.
If they are close by, I usually go for wired. If at other ends of the house (as is the case when I wanna watch a movie in bed or SWMBO family is over and I can't be bothered with them :p) I just use wireless from the laptop to the router then onto the media server

blueblue
15-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Can you do polls on these forums? If so how?

Blam
15-03-2009, 12:53 PM
To create a poll when you post a new thread, simply click the 'Yes! post a poll' checkbox at the bottom of the page, and set the number of possible responses you want to include.