PDA

View Full Version : Acer Laptop screen doesn't turn on at startup

spaceman8815
14-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Hi,

Over the past 3 months I have been getting a problem when the laptop has been turned off for a while, say over night, and when i turn it back on in the morning the computer turns on but the screen will not (but i do see the back light flash on and off). After a few reboots using the on/off button it suddenly comes right and the screen turns on. I suspect it may be a hardware fault as over that period of time i reinstalled the OS (for other reasons) which made no difference to the problem, but one thing i did notice was that it did it less frequently for a while then went back to all the time.

The problem has been getting more annoying over the past 2 weeks, taking more reboots for it to work.

Could someone please tell me what would cause this and how to fix it?

Brand: Acer Aspire 5101
Ram: 3GB

wainuitech
14-03-2009, 11:42 AM
If its still under warranty get it fixed that way - screens if they fail out of warranty can be very expensive to replace no matter what brand.

Could also be the ribbon that connects the LCD to the base.

pctek
14-03-2009, 01:40 PM
As Wainui says..if its under warranty, Ring Acer. If it isn't, don't ever buy one again. They have the worst hardware in the universe.

Blam
14-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Also-see if it happens in safe mode.

Tap F8 on startup and select "safe mode"

spaceman8815
14-03-2009, 07:17 PM
If its still under warranty get it fixed that way - screens if they fail out of warranty can be very expensive to replace no matter what brand.

Could also be the ribbon that connects the LCD to the base.

The warranty ran out about a 1.5 years ago. I will also try and look at the ribbon.

Also-see if it happens in safe mode.

Tap F8 on startup and select "safe mode"

When it happens the screen doesn't turn on at any point. it doesn't even show the acer symbol screen, so i can not even see to go into safe mode.

wainuitech
14-03-2009, 07:59 PM
It highly doubt by your description of the fault that it would be software - there more than likely will be a hardware problem.

Since its out of warranty - call acer Contact details (http://www.acer.co.nz/acer/contact_us.do?LanguageISOCtxParam=en&ctx2.c2att1=199&CountryISOCtxParam=NZ&ctx1g.c2att92=917&ctx1.att21k=1&CRC=1503597705) and just make sure it is out - some acers come with 2 year warranties.

Ask them for the closest repair centre, then see how much it will cost to get a quote on the repairs, sometimes ,when they give you a quote, if you accept it, then they dont charge a fee for the quote.

It may be something simple like a ribbon come lose or cracked - could be an inexpensive repair.

I wouldn't suggest taking it to any old PC shop - they would more than likely only get parts from Acer then charge you more any way.

Blam
14-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Trying never hurts-and PCs are unexpectable most of the time..

wainuitech
14-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Thats true Blam , but did you actually read the whole original post ??

After a few reboots using the on/off button it suddenly comes right and the screen turns on. If it were software, then why wouldn't the BIOS details or Acer logo appear on startup. Experience would suggest hardware.;)

Next time it does it, try opening and closing the lid slightly, see if the screen flickers or comes on - if so its more than likely a ribbon contact problem.

Blam
14-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Now that I've actually read the his/her post, I'll just pretend I never posted anything.....

wainuitech
14-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Now that I've actually read the his/her post, I'll just pretend I never posted anything..... :lol: :p

No harm done and yes you are right - sometimes safe mode does wonders. Other times you feel like drop kicking the damn thing. ;)