PDA

View Full Version : "windows root\system 32\hal.dll" and Windows CD doesn't help

MovieTall1
14-03-2009, 04:14 AM
I received the above error message a couple of days ago, and have been googleing trying to find an answer for this. After rebooting, the message keeps coming up. I went to the BIOS and set the first boot to CDROM. I have used my Windows XP CD and it runs, but nothing on the screen happens. I have tried F8, F10, and am at my wits end. I have lots of files on my computer that I can't lose. Please help me. I am new to this, so please don't get too technical. Thank you.

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Try this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477) if you haven't yet

Bryan
14-03-2009, 08:17 AM
If you have "lots of files you can't lose", you will now see the necessity of having a backup regime to protect them. Do you use system restore?

Blam
14-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Welcome to PF1:)

Try the instructions listed here:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm

MovieTall, if you can, remove the hard drive from this PC, and slave it to another PC.

Then, expand the hal.dll file from your Windows XP cd to <windowsroot>\system32 on the hard drive.

expand X:\i386\hal.dl_ M:\windows\system32\hal.dll

Replace X with drive letter of DVD drive on working PC, and M with the drive letter of hard drive of non-working PC.

HTH

Blam

Sweep
14-03-2009, 09:34 AM
I think that the original poster failed to supply the full error message like missing or corrupt. But of course I can be wrong.

Recover XP System batch file
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

pkm
14-03-2009, 12:27 PM
So to confirm,the xp cd does boot-you get a blue screen,but what then? I think a 'repair' would be the simplest way to fix this if possible.
And yes, otherwise itl be slave drive/live linux time - to copy off important files.