PDA

View Full Version : Website Formatting? - Frontpage

Curbd
13-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Hey all,

I have a website which I'm working on in Microsoft Frontpage 2000 (old I know) and when I saved it to the web the vertical navigation bars etc all erased!

Any reason why?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Curbd
13-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Oops that was a little brief...

Alright, the original page (which we want it to look like) had side columns and buttons on it with the hyperlinks to other pages within the site.

Whilst it was saving it had many text boxes pop up asking whether I wanted to 'save the new version' of this file etc, and I believe it may have asked to change the formatting and/or compatibility without my knowledge.

If this can't be easily fixed, does FrontPage atleast have a temporary save location? Autosave, where it will save numerous files as you go incase of a crash or bug etc?

Thanks for your help

hueybot3000
13-03-2009, 11:21 PM
When you saved it to the web did you save it as html files and upload to site or upload with frontpage? Send me the source code for it you like and we'l see if the menus there

Curbd
13-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Thanks for replying, it was uploaded via FrontPage.

It seems to have also changed the vertical navigation bars to be horizontal navigation bars along the top of the pages :S

Thanks

hueybot3000
13-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Does it work properly if you save it on your hard drive?

Rob99
13-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Would be easier if we could have a link, or even the code.

But here is a site that will help with your nav lists;
http://css.maxdesign.com.au/

Curbd
14-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the replies,

It currently is saved to the harddrive, and then just uploaded to the web when necessary.

It appears to us that the only way to fix it is to re-insert the vertical navigation bars by hand, which is a little tedious, but could be worse. (the hyperlinks are already there, along with the text - basically we just need to change the horizontal bars into vertical ones)

Thanks for your help, I'll reply back if we get even more stuck :P

and thankyou very much for the offers of looking through code etc too, means a lot.

Cheers

mzee
15-03-2009, 05:22 PM
I have been using Front Page for years, and there is a problem with the links, in that FP insists in showing the full URL eg:" D:/webwork/myfile.html"

When this is loaded to the server it should just be "myfile.html"

You can edit all the links before uploading, or do your work on an otherwise empty partition or thumb drive.

In theory, publishing with FP is supposed to fix this but I had no luck with it. Best to use an FTP program or th FTP patch for Firefox.

You don't say if you are using Front Page code? If you are does your ISP support it?