PDA

View Full Version : Modding webcam for Infra Red light detection

dotbond
13-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Hi.

Has anyone got experience with modding webcams to detect Infra Red light?
Looking for info from people that may have modded a good quality webcam versus a cheapo webcam.

Thanks
Trev

wainuitech
13-03-2009, 09:49 PM
never done it, but here are some instructions Article (http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Webcam-Into-an-Infrared-Camera)

Many of the newer cameras, allow movement senors, and can be adjusted to near darkness. A true Infra Red Camera wouldn't exactly be cheap.

dotbond
14-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks for that wainuitech. I have a $50 Logitech webcam that i have modded and tested out with an 18 LED IR Spotlight that works but really would lke any feedback from anyone if they have spent money on a more expensive/higher res webcam and if the results were worth the extra money.

Chilling_Silence
14-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Ive done movement sensing with WebCam + Go1984. Never done infrared sensing though, what uses would that have?
WiiMote perhaps?

dotbond
14-03-2009, 05:28 PM
I am involved with a project for a museum where people can interact with images being projected onto a floor. Problem is, it's in a darkish area and to get the detection of movement to a sufficient level we need more "light" so we are going for IR lighting. Initial tests are working so far, but as usual we want better without going to the expense of CCTV cameras that are set up for IR light, as that involves additional hardware. Trying to keep the costs down.

adslgeek
15-03-2009, 04:50 PM
I knew a friend ages ago that took a standard webcam and got some software that just tuned to IR, so I know it is possible, but I have no idea how sorry!

If I see him online I will hit him up about it..

ADSL Geek
www.adslgeek.com