PDA

View Full Version : Random Restarts/Burning Smell

PhoenixsDeadAgain
12-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Hello all.

I have been having some issues with my rig recently. It first started with a boot loop of sorts. It's hard to explain so I took a quick video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yDnAlgjJ90) of it to help.

That stumped me utterly. If I went in and unplugged the hard drive, or unseated the RAM it would boot, but if I shut it down it would go back into doing that. I tried everything I could think of, and I could Google up, until one day it just stopped.

It was working fine for months after that. Now for a week I have been smelling a burning smell. Like something has been fried. My computer would boot up fine, and would go about it's business all the while pushing out this burning smell. I checked to see if the CPU was overly hot, it wasn't. The smell wasn't coming from my PSU, and my sniff test couldn't pinpoint it but it was coming from the general area of the CPU.

Now for two days the computer randomly reboots. Smell still present.

I appreciate all you guru's help. Thanks.

Blam
12-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Try another PSU.

And make sure that in Bios hard drive is set to frist priority in boot order

Also, flashing the bios, and/or resetting it to default settings

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Whats the specs of the system (and model of the mobo)

And version of windows?

wratterus
12-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Yeah, definitely PSU would be first on the list of suspects.

Change it and see how things go.

Generally the only part in a PC that can smell burnt but still go (albeit sporadically) is the PSU. Or it could be a motherboard on the way out. Any burst/bulging capacitors?

Or it could be the hard drive, but that wouldn't explain the burning smell.

Do you get the safe mode boot menu when you tap F8 during the 2nd part of the BIOS POST?

Driftwood
13-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Could be a mouse toasting on your heat sink.