PDA

View Full Version : send mail from other networks difficult

hotkiwi
12-03-2009, 05:26 AM
Why is it that when I am home email reception and sending is without any problems, but as soon as I am on another network I can receive mail, but sending is impossible? This happens with outlook as well as with my apple macbook. It tells me that it can not get contact with the mailserver, looks in the first instance as f password etc are wrong, but i am sure it is all correct.
grateful for help, cheers
Johan

Jen
12-03-2009, 08:10 AM
What do you mean by another network? A different ISP?

ISPs will not let you send emails via their SMTP servers using a different ISP SMTP mail settings. This is called relaying, and it is blocked to prevent spammers abusing it. You can receive emails OK via different networks.

For example: If your network account is Ihug, then you cannot connect to an Xtra network and send emails in the normal way. You will need to change your SMTP (sending) settings so you are using Xtra's instead. The POP (receiving) settings can stay with Ihug.

Ofthesea
12-03-2009, 09:10 AM
nag nag ... there is this thing called Gmail ... haha

Chilling_Silence
12-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Basically if you're with Xtra and you try to send emails while you're at somebody elses place (Lets pretend they're with Orcon), then Xtra wont let you unless you ring them up and enable the ability to do-so on your account. It'll cost about $3.95 a month I think :(

Im with Ofthesea, sign up for a Gmail account and get all your mail forwarded there, then you can check it any time, anywhere, and its 100% free :) Gmail will even let you "send as" your Xtra email account! People would never know the difference

hotkiwi
14-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks guys, this made it much clearer!
Cheers