PDA

View Full Version : Is teh Windows Sp3 Firewall any good?

mzee
11-03-2009, 04:51 PM
For years I have been using other Firewalls as the Windows one was not very good.

Have things changed? Is the Sp3 Firewall any good? Does it work both ways?

Speedy Gonzales
11-03-2009, 04:57 PM
No I dont think it does both ways.

Only real change in SP3 was this (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/bb545879.aspx)

Thats the only FW I'm using at the mo.

Blam
11-03-2009, 06:58 PM
No IIRC. Still sucks. Still no doesn't block outgoing traffic.

But its incoming traffic protection is OK, I've done a few vulnerabilities scans on it myself.

Personally I reckon routers hw fw+windows FW is sufficient. And comodo if you're paranoid or download lots of....

Greven
11-03-2009, 10:00 PM
I agree with blam6 - the windows firewall is nothing flash, but combined with the firewall built into most routers it is good enough & relatively unobtrusive.

pkm
12-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Not quite a yes/no answer.

Cheap,Usable,Secure, choose two.

Yes its a good compromise between secure and usable,but I choose something more secure.

Id consider a firewall that never asks you anything as almost useless(but not quite)-But it is highly usable.

I use a third party firewall. I go online for the first time,it bugs me a little asking if 'x can access the internet'.

Once 'learning mode' is finished it hardly every bothers me. And if it does, I know somethings happening.

Also I read a security pdf recently on how malware can simply ask the windows firewall to allow it through,which is nice to know!It makes sense though-nero,quicktime,java,all these programs update online with no dialogue box until afterwards.

Lastly,utilising software/parts of software that which is the most popular in the world is asking for troubles also.