PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 monitor connection

samnorr
11-03-2009, 04:33 PM
I am about to purchase this monitor - http://www.extremepc.co.nz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=139_174&products_id=3616&zenid=47388211f5525df80ffbfc044c207f1c- to use to connect to my Xbox 360, but I have to buy cables, and I am unsure of the best way to connect it.

It looks like the monitor does not have an HDMI port, but is HDCP compliant. I already have an HDMI cable, so I thought I could use an adapter like this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Gaming/PlayStation-3/Accessories/auction-207208738.htm Would this work okay?

The other (and more expensive) option is to use the official 360 VGA HD cable. But since this uses the (inferior?) VGA port, wouldn't the quality be worse than with the DVI adapter above?

Speedy Gonzales
11-03-2009, 04:51 PM
The first adapter (DVI to HDMI should work)

Probably be better if you get this (http://www.extremepc.co.nz/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3617&zenid=47388211f5525df80ffbfc044c207f1c-)

Its a bit more, (about $9) and has HDMI on it

Blam
11-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Personally I would get either the Viewsonic VX2233vm(No HDMI) or VX2260vm(HDMI)

BenQ are not very reliable IMHO.....but answering your question, yes that would work ok, you'll probably manage full HD too

samnorr
11-03-2009, 06:25 PM
The first adapter (DVI to HDMI should work)

Probably be better if you get this (http://www.extremepc.co.nz/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3617&zenid=47388211f5525df80ffbfc044c207f1c-)

Its a bit more, (about $9) and has HDMI on it

Thanks for pointing the other model out, that might be the better choice. But would I still need an audio adapter? Or would that go through the HDMI?

samnorr
11-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Personally I would get either the Viewsonic VX2233vm(No HDMI) or VX2260vm(HDMI)

BenQ are not very reliable IMHO.....but answering your question, yes that would work ok, you'll probably manage full HD too

Do those two have 1080p resolution? And are they around the same price?

Blam
11-03-2009, 06:32 PM
http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_14486.html

and

http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_14749.html

About $40 more. But IMO, much better quality. Many member on pf1 have it and are very happy with it(including me!)

Blam

Speedy Gonzales
11-03-2009, 06:36 PM
HDMI carries video and audio.

So the HDMI cable you have will give you video and audio.

No need for a separate cable for audio (but you'll need a cable, if you want to connect the PC's sound to it (If you use the DVI connection on the monitor, and connect it to the computer)

And the monitor does have audio out. So, you can plug headphones into it if you want

Thats what I've done here. I use this monitor here (which has HDMI).

The HDMI is connected to the Xbox (which is on the desk here). And connected the computer to the DVI connection on the monitor. And connected one 3.5 mm cable for the sound

All I have to do is press a button to switch between the 2. And its better if I connect it to the monitor, since I can connect it to the router, and update it

samnorr
11-03-2009, 11:24 PM
HDMI carries video and audio.

So the HDMI cable you have will give you video and audio.

No need for a separate cable for audio (but you'll need a cable, if you want to connect the PC's sound to it (If you use the DVI connection on the monitor, and connect it to the computer)

And the monitor does have audio out. So, you can plug headphones into it if you want

Thats what I've done here. I use this monitor here (which has HDMI).

The HDMI is connected to the Xbox (which is on the desk here). And connected the computer to the DVI connection on the monitor. And connected one 3.5 mm cable for the sound

All I have to do is press a button to switch between the 2. And its better if I connect it to the monitor, since I can connect it to the router, and update it

So - if I want to use the monitor solely for my 360 and I get the one with HDMI - you're saying that all I need is the one HDMI cable to get both video and sound through the monitor's speakers? Are you absolutely sure? Because I was under the impression that the HDMI ports on a monitor could only accept video, and I would need an audio adapter to get the sound through the 3.5 mm jack. Maybe I'm wrong?

I know you get the audio through HDMI with a TV, but are computer monitors geared the same way? Is the HDMI port connected to the monitor's speakers?

Speedy Gonzales
11-03-2009, 11:46 PM
So - if I want to use the monitor solely for my 360 and I get the one with HDMI - you're saying that all I need is the one HDMI cable to get both video and sound through the monitor's speakers? Are you absolutely sure?

I know. I'm using an HDMI monitor with just the HDMI cable for video and sound on the Xbox.

There is no 3.5 mm socket for audio out, on the Xbox for the sound, so if the HDMI cable didnt carry sound, you wouldnt get sound at all.

Because I was under the impression that the HDMI ports on a monitor could only accept video, and I would need an audio adapter to get the sound through the 3.5 mm jack. Maybe I'm wrong?

You're wrong, the audio in on the monitor, is if you connect DVI (from a computer to the DVI connection on the monitor). DVI doesn't carry sound,

Thats why the monitor has audio in . So, you can hear something (when DVI is connected). Which is what I've done here (Im using the DVI connection to connect the computer to the monitor).

I know you get the audio through HDMI with a TV, but are computer monitors geared the same way? Is the HDMI port connected to the monitor's speakers?

Would have to be, otherwise it wouldnt have sound

If its got HDMI it doesnt matter if its a computer monitor, or TV. It'll carry video and sound

samnorr
12-03-2009, 12:54 AM
I know. I'm using an HDMI monitor with just the HDMI cable for video and sound on the Xbox.

There is no 3.5 mm socket for audio out, on the Xbox for the sound, so if the HDMI cable didnt carry sound, you wouldnt get sound at all.

You're wrong, the audio in on the monitor, is if you connect DVI (from a computer to the DVI connection on the monitor). DVI doesn't carry sound,

Thats why the monitor has audio in . So, you can hear something (when DVI is connected). Which is what I've done here (Im using the DVI connection to connect the computer to the monitor).

Would have to be, otherwise it wouldnt have sound

If its got HDMI it doesnt matter if its a computer monitor, or TV. It'll carry video and sound

Thanks for clearing that up. :thanks

I think I will go with the BenQ that you pointed out, as the Viewsonic that blam6 suggested was almost $100 more in most stores (I'm on a strict budget). I just hope it's reliable enough.

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2009, 01:01 AM
No probs :)

HTH