PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express/Nortons SystemWorks

17-06-2001, 01:49 PM
Outlook Express is my default email.

I run Norton SystemWorks and I invaribaly find that Nortons changes the Server details in Outlook Express i.e. when I go into Tools-Accounts-Properties and then click the server tab the Incoming Mail name has been changed to reflect pop3.nortons antivirus and the account name records our account then /pop3.xtra.co.nz.

I continually have to go into this area and change the information so that I can access my email.

Can anyone tell how to stop Nortons from changing the above information other than closing down or removing nortons.

David

18-06-2001, 02:46 PM
This is how an anti-virus program can scan incoming email for viruses before it goes into your inbox.

The program clears your mail into an area on you PC, scans it and then delivers it to your inbox. The changes it makes to your POP3 login reflect this. The mail is downloaded to an ip address using your login.

If this setting blocks Outlooks ability to collect mail then there is a configuration error somewhere.

From Norton's configuration settings you can turn off email checking so it won't make this change to your account. Be warned Norton will then download all email including viruses and will only detect a virus when you go to run an infected attachmnet or when you run a scan of the hard drive.

18-06-2001, 06:11 PM
I use Nortons and have had a similar experience, you can change your account details in outlook express to the original, Nortons still scans automatically, infact, picked up a 'worm' for me on Saturday.
There doesent seem to be a logical path for the change as sometimes it changes to 127.00 etc and others it just leaves alone...for the most part its fine..good luck