PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Hard Drive

Oose
10-03-2009, 12:54 PM
I have a laptop with a 150gb hard drive. I also have a seperate 250gb hard drive for the exact same model laptop which was left by a computer technician who was doing some testing on my laptop. (I had an issue with my laptop and they thought it might have been the hard drive so changed it and it turned out it wasn't and anyway I've ended up with a spare larger hard drive).

I was considering attempting to swap the two hard drives myself so I have the larger one in my computer. I haven't done anything like this before but back myself to open up my laptop and do the actual physical change (but am more unsure about swapping the data from my existing to the new hard drive...).

Before I rip into this was wondering if anyone had any smart ideas or just plain think I am being foolish trying to do this and its only going to end in tears??

Alternatively, (and I don't even know if this is possible), I was wondering if I could somehow buy something (or take it somewhere) and turn the spare hard drive into some sort of removeable USB hard drive?

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Install it then reinstall Windows / whatever it is

Probably wouldnt work, if you just transfer everything, from the old to the new

If you want to use it as a removable hdd, just buy an enclosure for it

Oose
10-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Great, thanks. Didn't realise it would be quite so simple as buying an external HDD case for it. Without sounding too stupid, how do I find out what sort of case I need?

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2009, 01:58 PM
ie: If its a 2.5 hdd (it probably is, since its a laptop)

Something like this (http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/49b5b873012ef152273fc0a87f3b06ec/Product/View/XH5177)

Is the 250 GB IDE or SATA??

If its SATA, then you'll need an enclosure that has a SATA connection on it

Does the laptop have USB 2 ports (not 1.1) on it?

Oose
10-03-2009, 02:13 PM
It is SATA 250gb 5,400rpm.

Don't know how to tell if it is 2.5" or 3.5"?

Laptop has USB 2 ports.

Thanks again.

Blam
10-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Changing the hard drives will be easy, all you ned to do is use something like DriveImageXML to clone the original HDD to the new one. Once that is done, just swap out the the hard drives, usuually you just need to take out a screw.

To clone it over you will need an enclosure or a usb adapter

Blam

wainuitech
10-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Easy enough to clone the original Drive to the larger drive - what you would need to do is get an adapter that will fit the Pin arrangement with a USB Connector for the larger Drive.

There are two basic types of drives IDE(PATA) or SATA as Shown Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/SATA_and_PATA.jpg) once you have the Correct connector, you can connect the Larger drive to the laptop,with the USB connection, then using an imaging program (many free ones about) simply clone the small drive to the larger one - making an exact image of the drive.

Turn off the laptop, remove the smaller drive, plug in the Larger drive, start the laptop, it will start up, detect the new drive, install some drivers, ask to reboot and away you go, all your programs, data every thing will be exactly the same, just have more space because of the larger drive.

I do this almost every day in one form or another, you can also remove the HDD from the laptop, attach it to another standard PC, along with the new Drive and clone that way.

Oose
10-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Great thanks.

Using a bit of common sense (and measuring the drive...) I've figured its a 2.5" hdd. So once I find a 2.5" SATA enclosure for the spare drive I can find a suitable imaging program and clone the small drive to the larger one, swap them around, check everything works ok, clear everything off the smaller one (now spare one) and will end up with a bigger drive on my laptop and a spare functional external hdd.

Trust I'm on the right track and all sounds pretty straight forward (famous last words...).

Thanks

wainuitech
10-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Great thanks.

Using a bit of common sense (and measuring the drive...) I've figured its a 2.5" hdd. So once I find a 2.5" SATA enclosure for the spare drive I can find a suitable imaging program and clone the small drive to the larger one, swap them around, check everything works ok, clear everything off the smaller one (now spare one) and will end up with a bigger drive on my laptop and a spare functional external hdd.

Trust I'm on the right track and all sounds pretty straight forward (famous last words...).

Thanks Thats about all there is to it - Yep!

Cyberhuskey
10-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Followed this thread intensely as I would like to replace my laptop's 80GB IDE hard drive with a larger one.

I never done this before and am therefore a bit nervous. May I ask a couple of questions:

1) what about disk partition when cloning drives. do they clone the same amount or the ratio?
2) can I replace my IDE drive with a EIDE or PATA one?
3) materials for hard drive replacement: new hard drive, hard drive enclosure, imaging program.

Your guys' words made it sound easy to do this work. Many thanks.

Blam
10-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Heres a tutorial on using DriveImageXML:

http://lifehacker.com/software/feature/hot-image-your-pcs-hard-drive-with-driveimage-xml-326086.php

Download Link:

http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

Blam

wainuitech
10-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Followed this thread intensely as I would like to replace my laptop's 80GB IDE hard drive with a larger one.

I never done this before and am therefore a bit nervous. May I ask a couple of questions:

1) what about disk partition when cloning drives. do they clone the same amount or the ratio?
3) materials for hard drive replacement: new hard drive, hard drive enclosure, imaging program.

To answer the questions -

1) Depends on the software - some will copy exactly as is, others will allow the full use of the drive, resize the parttition.

2) same connections, just different names ( basically)

3) depends on how you are cloning, if you are connecting two drives to a PC, you can use the SATA or IDE connectors to join the drives.

As it is I'm currently cloning a customers laptop Drive to a standard IDE drive to save their data before I wipe the laptops drive (its corrupted to hell and back) heres the setup (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Clone1236651870.jpg) if It were SATA I would simply use the connectors on the Motherboard.

Other item you need is a small philips screw driver to remove the Cover from the laptop to reveal the drive, and also some laptops have small screws holding the drive in - others use the cover screws.

As for software - I use either Paragon Disk Copy or Acronis. Seagate have a free version of Acronis called Diskwizard (http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard) - paragon have a free version thats given away on many Magazines, but is down loadable as well.

Blam
10-03-2009, 03:39 PM

1) You will need to clone the partitions seperately IIRC

2) IDE is compatible with PATA(same thing), not sure about EIDE, I think it is

3) Imaging program, driveimagexml as mentioned(free), 2.5" IDE enclosure

shell49
11-03-2009, 12:49 AM
I noticed no one mentioned what was in the the laptop ide or sata?.

wainuitech
11-03-2009, 08:08 AM
I noticed no one mentioned what was in the the laptop ide or sata?.
Post #5 first line says the bigger drive is
It is SATA 250gb 5,400rpm then in the original post it was mentioned
(I had an issue with my laptop and they thought it might have been the hard drive so changed it and it turned out it wasn't and anyway I've ended up with a spare larger hard drive). That would indicate the smaller drive in the laptop is sata as well, other wise the bigger drive would not fit.