PDA

View Full Version : Should you scan all drives?

Davoid
10-03-2009, 08:20 AM
Hello,

When running a Spyware/Malware scan, should you select all drives on your system or do you only need to check the C drive? (operating system).
I use MalwareBytes, Spyware Terminator, Super Antispyware and my Eset security suite.

My main drive has 2 partitions C and D, but I also have an E drive and an external drive.

Thanks for any advice,
David

Strommer
10-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Short answer - yes scan all drives.

Long answer - It depends what is on the other HDs. If you only dump your holiday pics or other items that you know are safe from malware, there probably is no need for a scan. Dodgy downloaded files may need a scan.

I do a deep thorough scan on Windows, Program Files and a few other folders that could be targets of malware. I skip folders where pics and films are kept since I know they are safe.

pctek
10-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Hell yes.
Who knows what they contain?

I've found viruses on peoples USB flash drives too.

Blam
10-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Scan all drives if you have the time.

Better to be safe than sorry

Sweep
10-03-2009, 10:19 AM
If time is an issue you could use taskmanager to schedule scans while you can sleep. Or you could run a batch file. But yes I would scan all drives other than optical drives.

SurferJoe46
10-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Scanning everything isn't fun if you have 8-500g hdds and a <root> 40g too.

If I start a scan at 10PM it's usually done by 6AM.

I use Spybot and Windows for scans, and if something comes up, I also run HJT to make sure it's gone.

Sweep
10-03-2009, 11:15 AM
One the best things is to use a firewall and antivirus so no nasties get on any drive. Oh and be careful about clicking on links and what you download. What are you scanning with Windows?

SurferJoe46
10-03-2009, 05:15 PM
What are you scanning with Windows?

I am sitting behind a physical firewall (Belkin BEFSR41) and I run the Windows firewall. The "Windows" scanner I use is Defender.

I know I get razzed about it, but it's Windows own security for it's own OPSYS, so what the hey!

I don't click on anything without running it through several qualifiers first.

Right click some and run a "Properties" card on them or whatever I feel like.

I even opened a few that I really REALLY wanted by going to the "Way Back Machine" (http://www.archive.org/index.php) to see what they have for traffic and them doing it in a VM.

Some pass muster - some don't.

Davoid
11-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks all for the replies, I will now scan all drives to play safe.