09-03-2009, 06:41 PM
have an acer aspire 5315
intel celeron 550
1.86 ghz,533mhz fsb,1mb 1.2 cashe
1014 mb ddr2
80gb hdd

want to change this laptop from vista home basic to xp home

it is just for a ten year old who only plays basic games and music

anyway is there any precaution i should take before i wipe it..

thanks

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Nope, but I would check the acer site for the drivers for XP first. Before you reformat it

Otherwise nothing else will work on it

If theres a restore partition on it, I would burn the ISOs off it, just in case things dont work

CYaBro
09-03-2009, 07:36 PM
As Speedy said make sure you have recovery discs to reload Vista if XP fails or something.

If Acer don't have any XP drivers on their site it is still possible to get XP working using the manufacturer drivers from their respective websites but this can be a pain trying to find the correct ones.

I would also check the BIOS to make sure that the SATA mode is set to IDE or compatability and not ACHI otherwise the XP install won't see the hard drive.

Driftwood
10-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Use the Vista, your 10 year old won't have any problems with it.
How would you activate the XP if you got it to work?

hammer
10-03-2009, 11:04 AM
#2 ... i have not worked with partitions.. how do i get the iso copy ..i see there is a 7.5gb primary partition.. would that be the restore paartition... how can i copy it to iso.. i can nt see it in My Computer.. only when i go to computer managment..

#3 thank you for that info it was set to ACHI i have changed it now..acer does appear to have the nec drivers in xp..

#4 this laptop as is just does not cut the mustard... it fails very regularly..i have a legal copy of xp from a pc i trashed.

next.. how can i uninstall vista or get the cd to run and uninstall it for me.. reformating or running the cd just get to 'you have a newer verwsion installed' and wont go any further..????

Blam
10-03-2009, 11:26 AM
The 7.5gb partition may be the recovery partition.

Check you manual on how to restore it. Usually you hold a key down on startup to boot to the recovery partition.

You don't need to change anything, to remove vista just format the vista partitions, then install XP.

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Boot into windows, then go into the folder (you may have to show hidden files / system files/folders to see it). The folder may have ISO files in it

Or there should be a menu, (saying something like create restore cds/dvd or something) so you can burn the ISO/S to cd / dvd

hammer
10-03-2009, 12:35 PM
#6 tried following their instructions to get to that partition but it keeps opening in vista on c drive..not in the recovery one

#sorry im a dork.. what folder am i looking for

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Look in the menu / program files, for the program that'll let you burn the ISO's then

hammer
10-03-2009, 12:58 PM
lost it now..sorry...you will have to describe what we are doing again...
i have power iso and/or a 8gb usd drive so that isnt the prob....

i just cant find a way to open or get to the hidden recovery disc partition info, to copy it...

so is that what i was meant to be copying/burning..??

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Look in the menu, for some backup program, its probably made by the same guys who made the laptop. Its probably called Acer restore, or something

You dont need poweriso / whatever. Whatever the program is thats already installed, will do it for you

You are accessing the restore partition (for the ISO'/s) so it'll create restore cd/s / a DVD. In case XP screws up, you can restore the laptop with the copy of Vista.

You run the program and follow the instructions after to create the cd's/DVD.

Chilling_Silence
10-03-2009, 01:39 PM
This may be of use:
http://soulpass.com/2007/11/10/installing-windows-xp-professional-sp2-on-acer-aspire-5315-2153-laptop/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=185975

:)

hammer
10-03-2009, 05:06 PM
#12 thanks.. i did everything on the soulpass page made boot cd couldnt get it too work.. dunno what went wrong..instructions seemed clear..????

when i have the backup how do you suggest i get past nothing running..

Blam
10-03-2009, 05:38 PM
#12 thanks.. i did everything on the soulpass page made boot cd couldnt get it too work.. dunno what went wrong..instructions seemed clear..????

when i have the backup how do you suggest i get past nothing running..

How is it not working, can you explain a bit more in detail?

Not sure what you mean by the second sentence..

hammer
10-03-2009, 06:59 PM
have finally got it sussed... now loading drivers with my fingers crossed... thanks for help everyone

barb