PDA

View Full Version : Router question

gary67
09-03-2009, 06:38 PM
My 4 port d-link router keeps disconnecting if we leave the computers on but unused for about 2-3 hours, it never used to do this so is it possibly on the way out?

What would be a good recommendation to replace it with want 4 ports, ADSL2 and none wireless our house is completely wired.

Just assigned a static IP to my print server but every time I reboot the router it gets a new IP from DHCP instead of looking up the reserved IP any clues?
Thanks

johnd
09-03-2009, 08:26 PM
My my experience D-Link domestic equipment is not good quality! I recently threw a way a relatively new D-Link wireless access point due to great unreliability.

Usually you can't go wrong with either Netgear or Linksys.

Blam
09-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Have you tried upgrading the firmware?

And I'm with JohnD here, D-link isn't a very reliable brand...cheap though:p

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm using one :p

I havent killed it YET

Which model have you got Gary?

You did click on apply first right? Before you saved and rebooted it?

gary67
09-03-2009, 08:45 PM
HI Speedy yes I have but since everyone's on can't try it yet. Mines a 504T couple of years old.

It's on the latest firmware Blam already thought of that thanks though.

wainuitech
09-03-2009, 08:55 PM
I have been using the NETCOMM NB6PLUS4W ADSL2+ 4 PRT W/LESS MODEM/ROUTER over the last year and a bit, put in about 15 odd - never had any complaints about any failures - all worked perfectly.

Average price around $145- $160.00 ( retail) depending on who sell s them - I get them wholesale to resell.

Other places have them - but these are the ones (http://www.elive.co.nz/netcomm-nb6plus4w-wireless-router-dv0310.php)

Edited: there is a little setting up to do - but easy really.

Greven
09-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Dlink wireless products are shocking, but I've found the rest of their range (apart from the old 302 routers) to be cheap & good.

Growly
09-03-2009, 09:10 PM
I agree that D-Link consumer products are rubbish. There's nothing wrong with their higher end range, though. It's just that none of their ADSL 4-port router combo equipment falls into this category.

I myself wouldn't go past a Linksys, save for a Cisco (of which I have one for each connection... delicious).

gary67
10-03-2009, 07:02 AM
Thanks everyone who answered

Chilling_Silence
10-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Hi gary67,

Try this as a decent replacement if you require WiFi:
http://qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?104806

As mentioned, I wouldnt go near D-Link personally :(

adslgeek
18-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Hey guys,

For anyone with either a Dlink 502T, 504T, G604T from about 2003, I would strongly recommend upgrading your firmware, as there is some security concerns with those devices, and upgrading might be prudent.

With you disconnecting I am adding another vote against the Dlink, some Dlinks not quite so good / stable. It is interesting internationally though they seem to have a comparitively supportive audience (not overly happy, but happier than I have seen posted here in NZ) - they still seem to complain, just some people seeming to stick up for them for some reason too.

Cheers,
ADSL Geek
http://www.adslgeek.com

gary67
19-03-2009, 06:48 AM
Thanks ADSL pity about the spam post above

Myth
19-03-2009, 09:12 AM
You were asking about non-wireless capable modem/routers... I would recommend you also stay away from Belkin

Linksys have a good following in this forum, and I have no complaints with the one I bought, but it is wireless (WAG200G)
Had a quick look at the non-wireless range, maybe something like this (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=357401) would suit you? I can't personally vouch for it, but if their wired is as good as their wireless, you can't go wrong

And Linksys are a subsidiary of Cisco :)

Just one thing, unless you are never going to own a laptop, I would give wireless a look-in. Its easy enough to turn off a routers wireless capabilities, or severely limit via MAC filtering so that only your computers are allowed access to the router/modem

decibel
19-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Just assigned a static IP to my print server but every time I reboot the router it gets a new IP from DHCP instead of looking up the reserved IP any clues?
Thanks

This is nothing to do with your D-Link router - it is the print server that is forgetting the static IP address and asking for another one to be assigned by the router (DHCP)

The D-link is only doing what it is meant to do (and replying with a new one each time)

Chilling_Silence
20-03-2009, 02:08 PM
its also worth noting there's a vulnerability in the el-cheapo DSL-302g that Xtra was giving out for YEARS, made it possible to remotely extract somebodies password from the router!

Adge
20-03-2009, 02:26 PM
I've been through two of those model d-links; the older model and the newer, smaller version. The newer one is definitely more reliable. I've noticed that they have a real problem with overheating, which tends to affect its ability toassign IP addresses using DHCP.

If we make sustained use of the net, our flat often finds that the IP addresses start screwing up, and wireless access becomes dodgy. Assigning static IP addresses on each of your computers gets round this, but the best solution would be to keep it in a cooler place. In times of emergency, just leaving it switched off to cool down for 15mins helps.

gary67
20-03-2009, 06:21 PM
This is nothing to do with your D-Link router - it is the print server that is forgetting the static IP address and asking for another one to be assigned by the router (DHCP)

The D-link is only doing what it is meant to do (and replying with a new one each time)

Actually it was neither it was me not saving before rebooting rebooting all works great now but still nedd to replace the D-link when have some spare cash