PDA

View Full Version : laptop wont connect to wireless!

Sam Bos
08-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Someone help! I've tried desperately for hours trying to get this **** thing to work!

Got my new laptop yesterday, came with McAfee trial or something. I managed to get it connected to our wireless network (after realizing I had done a typo in the MAC address).

Anyway, today I downloaded Avast AntiVirus and Comodo Firewall, turned off the McAfee Firewall, now It will only connect to the Wireless with 'limited connectivity'. (meaning I cant go on the internet).

On this computer I'm on (wired to router, XP Home) its got Comodo Firewall 3.0 (havent updated it for a while). on my laptop (Vista Home Premium) i downloaded the latest one (3.8) and its heaps different I can figure it out.

Anyone help? I'm getting ****** frustrated and annoyed at it!

Thanks guys

hueybot3000
08-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Will it connect will all firewalls disabled? Usually youd only have one installed anyway

Speedy Gonzales
08-03-2009, 11:55 PM
If its the same prob as this (http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=98000)

You should add it to the above thread. So we know what we've already told you

And uninstall Comodo or Mcafee, if both are installed. They'll conflict

hueybot3000
08-03-2009, 11:59 PM
New thread means more views so more chance of help

Anyways reading what you have in your other thread...

I doubt itl be the firmware on your router, might help but it should connect fine.
I've also come across cases where the router is setup to block all connections except ones on the allowed list. Can't remember how it was configured but is it possible you have something like that enabled?

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2009, 12:02 AM
Well no new thread means people will probably tell you what they've already said. And you'll go round in circles. And you'll be there forever trying to get things to work

I've requested a merge

Sam Bos
09-03-2009, 12:53 AM
Sorry guys yea I should have put it in the other thread. this is a different problem though.

I've disabled Windows Firewall, McAfee Firewall, and I think I disabled the Comodo one (not sure as its confusing to use). still won't connect.

I've removed the network from Comodo's allow list, and then tried to connect again, then Comodo comes up with the window 'New Private Network Detected!' but whatever I do (whether I give it a name and/or select the Trust option or just close it), it still won't connect.

I always access the router via the Wired PC. Yes I have configured it to only allow access to computers specified on the MAC address list, and I have added the laptops MAC to that list, it worked yesterday and it worked today (thats how I downloaded Comodo) but ever since I started up Comodo it hasnt been able to connect to the network properly.

I've tried (in Comodo>Firewall>Network Zones) removing the network from the network zones list, tried using the MAC address instead of the IP, tried the routers IP on its own, tried it with the laptops IP, tried with the laptops MAC, still nothing.

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2009, 01:30 AM
And whats different from the other thread??

Sounds like the same prob to me

Uninstall Mcafee, dont just disable it, and then turn windows firewall off

Sam Bos
09-03-2009, 09:17 AM
well no in the last thread then I only had McAfee. and the reason i couldnt connect to the wireless was because I typed the MAC address wrong. this time its different.

Ok i will try uninstall McAfee completely and disable windows firewall and let you know what happens.

also, when that permission window comes up on my laptop, it shows the IP address of the laptop is this what it should do? I would have thought it would be the IP of the router coz thats what its trying to connect to.

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2009, 09:49 AM
What ip did you give this laptop that doesnt work??

Is the SSID and channel on it (for the wireless) the same as whats in the router?

Has it got the same workgroup name as the others (that do work)?

Its probably something small, since it worked with Mcafee. Until you stuffed it up by installing Comodo

Sam Bos
09-03-2009, 10:14 AM
I didnt give it an IP it just made its own one. I'm at work at the mo so I cant check it till I get home but I'll find out. I'll just uninstall both McAfee and Comodo then re-install Comodo. and yes i used the same work group name. I'll compare it to the other lapto (although that is running AVG AV+Firewall but I can probably compare it with the wired desktop as well as that has got Comodo)

hueybot3000
09-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Why not use Av firewall on this laptop then? If you configured that right should be able to do it again?

Sam Bos
09-03-2009, 05:04 PM
You mean Avast Firewall? If thats what you mean, i didnt know it had one.
I havent configured Avast yet just downloaded and installed, waiting for them to send me a registration code (got it now).

And I liked using Comodo on our desktop so I was keen to get it for my lappy, but this new version just isnt the same. the old version (on the desktop) was easy to figure out (I knew nothing about firewalls before I got it) but the latest version is all different and just confusing.

hueybot3000
09-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Im sorta lost as to what you have running lol

I only use avast, and nothing else. Never had a problem with it either

Does avast have a firewal built in anyway?

My setup is just Avast+Windows firewall OFF+adblock for firefox

Thats kept my computer clean for years and doesnt involve any setting up

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2009, 05:10 PM
No Avast doesnt have a firewall in its install

Sam Bos
09-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Im sorta lost as to what you have running lol

1. My Laptop came with McAfee Security Suite (i think its a trial version) installed.
2. I've read here that Avast Antivirus is quite good, so I downloaded it and installed it yesterday (got to the point where I had to register to get a key code - received the email with it today). So once I get home from work I'll enter that in.
3. Yesterday I also downloaded and installed Comodo Firewall. As soon as I had installed that I lost my wireless connection.

So when I'm home I will fully un-install McAfee as well as Comodo Firewall, turn off Windows Firewall, then install Comodo Firewall again.

And hopefully that will work. If not I'll be back on here again.

Is there anything in Avast that I need to turn off/disable etc before installing Comodo?

Is there anything in Comodo that I need to set up/configure before I try to connect to the wireless? (apart from when Comodo comes up with that Window asking for permission to connect)

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2009, 05:33 PM
If its comodo internet security suite, remember to untick the AV, before you install it

No Avast should work fine with Comodo, just remember to do the above, before you install Comodo

Thats all you have to do, after Comodo has been installed it should detect a network, add it / allow it

Sam Bos
09-03-2009, 06:55 PM
If its comodo internet security suite, remember to untick the AV, before you install it

No Avast should work fine with Comodo, just remember to do the above, before you install Comodo

Thats all you have to do, after Comodo has been installed it should detect a network, add it / allow it

Ok yea I unticked AV the first time. I'm having problems uninstalling mcafee now. its got 6 or so components to it, but theres 2 that it doesnt want to uninstall - Privacy Service and Security Center.

I have a feeling its because of access permissions. the pc has been set up with two hard drive partitions, one called Acer (C) which has Windows and all programs installed, the other is called Data (D).

My user account is the only one set up on here, so therefore it already is an Administrator Account.
I tried to just delete the McAfee folder in Program Files, but it wont even let me do that. Also when I downloaded firefox, comodo, avast etc I wasnt 'allowed' to save it in Program Files, so I saved it in My Downloads (my Documents) and installed them from there (when Installing I was able to install them to C:\Program Files.

Does anyone know whats going on with this access permissions problem? I think once thats sorted I may be able to uninstall the rest of McAfee. cheers

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2009, 07:20 PM
?? Why would you download to program files??

You have to install it first, then it'll get installed there

Try what it says here (http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=222058)

Have a read of this (http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507)

Sam Bos
09-03-2009, 08:25 PM
?? Why would you download to program files??

You have to install it first, then it'll get installed there

Try what it says here (http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=222058)

Have a read of this (http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507)

Yuss! It worked! Cheers Speedy :thumbs: I looked at both of those links you gave, and followed the steps in the 2nd one, to uninstall McAfee.

once that was done i re-installed Comodo, and was able to connect to the wireless straightaway.

So thanks heaps Speedy and everyone else for your input. :clap

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Cool wtg ! :banana

hueybot3000
09-03-2009, 08:39 PM
*sigh* and another point to speedy :lol:

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2009, 08:40 PM
lol now remember NEVER install more than 1 firewall.

Thats WHAT can happen !