PDA

View Full Version : Failed install of Windows 7 on partition.

John D
08-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Ive tried to install the magazine March edition free DVD of Windows 7 on a partition on my hard-drive.

Unfortunately it didn't want to know with a BSOD and with error codes.

That's OK I can live without trialing Windows 7.

But I would like to get rid of is the option from the boot manager so I don't
have pick my present XP operating system before windows start up on .

Hope I have asked the question to get back to square again with my PC.

Cheers John

Blam
08-03-2009, 08:20 PM
What was on the BSOD?

Maybe we can help you fix it.

If you really want to remove W7, firstly delete the partition in disk management(run>diskmgmt.msc)

Then repair the mbr by booting into recovery console, then typing in fixmbr and press enter.

If you cannot get access to the recovery console/don't have cd, then this may also work. But I usually use the above method

http://www.tech-exclusive.com/2009/01/18/how-to-uninstall-windows-7-from-dual-boot-system/

Blam

somebody
08-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Err... is the MBR stuffed, or is it just an annoying entry in the boot loader?

If it's an annoying entry, use "msconfig" (type "msconfig" into the Start-Run box, or just type it into the start menu in Vista), click on the "Boot" tab, and remove the unwanted W7 entry.

Sweep
08-03-2009, 08:33 PM
You could edit the boot.ini so that there will not be a choice.

pcuser42
09-03-2009, 04:07 PM
The boot.ini file will only contain the entry for XP, as 7 uses Vista's bootloader (which itself does not use boot.ini). Therefore blam6's method is the best (and/or only option).

somebody
09-03-2009, 04:29 PM
The boot.ini file will only contain the entry for XP, as 7 uses Vista's bootloader (which itself does not use boot.ini). Therefore blam6's method is the best (and/or only option).

Oh right - good point.

John D
09-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Blam6 had the right answer guys, all is happiness again .

With the second option of repairs.....http://www.tech-exclusive.com/2009/01/18/how-to-uninstall-windows-7-from-dual-boot-system/

Thanks for everybody's input.

Cheers and thanks

pcuser42
10-03-2009, 05:32 PM
hijk530: a) You're off topic. b) :spam