PDA

View Full Version : Asrock P4VM890

bk T
08-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Got an old Asrock P4VM890 MB, put in a P4 2.4 CPU, loaded Win XP; installed all the necessary device drivers, etc., it went very smoothly. :)

But when I plug in my USB flash drive, Windows could not recognise it. Tried another USB drive with the same results.

Downloaded and flashed the latest BIOS updates but produced no positive results.

Device Manager shows very clean and nice page without any yellow ? or !

Under Universal Serial Bus controller, the following items are shown:
USB Root Hub ( x 5)
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Hosst Controller ( x 4)
VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller

What's the next step shall I do?

Speedy Gonzales
08-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Install a service pack

If you flashed the BIOS, set it to its default settings and reconfigure it.

Then save the settings

Making sure USB 2 is on the higher speed

Blam
08-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Also make sure USB is on "Auto"

bk T
08-03-2009, 09:42 PM
It's dead.

Thanks for the inputs.:thanks

Speedy Gonzales
08-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Whats dead? The computer or the USB ports?

Sweep
08-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Maybe went for a BIOS flash which did not work. That would stuff the motherboard. What is dead? I have no idea.

bk T
08-03-2009, 11:46 PM
The MB is dead.

Actually, it fails to boot randomly from the very beginning - no beep, no display, only fans are spinning (CPU + PSU). I removed the CMOS battery for an hour or so, put it back, turn on the power and it boots OK. I thought the problem has been fixed but it's back to its 'original' state, i.e. nothing but the fans spinning! Tried removing the battery but this time, no luck!

Sweep
09-03-2009, 12:09 AM
Sorry, but I failed to understand that the motherboard is dead when you were able to install Windows which went smoothly. Maybe I need to be a mindreader. USB ports will not work on a dead motherboard,

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2009, 02:23 AM
You in Auckland BKT?

If you are, bring it here. I'll check it out

You didnt remove the CMOS jumper at some time did you (as well)??

bk T
09-03-2009, 09:48 AM
You in Auckland BKT?

If you are, bring it here. I'll check it out

You didnt remove the CMOS jumper at some time did you (as well)??

I'm in east Auckland and you're in Mt Eden, are you? It's a little too far away. Thanks, anyway.

I did short the 'clear' cmos jumper to reset the CMOS. This MB has got only 2 pins (not 3 pins as in most other MBs). I've also replaced the battery. Tested it on bench top and it fails to start-up randomly.

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Did you put the jumper back?

Yup I'm in Mt Eden

bk T
09-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Did you put the jumper back?

Yup I'm in Mt Eden

No. user manual says the jumper should be removed.

bk T
09-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Just tried to boot it up and it it fails as expected. Removed the CMOS battery, shorted the Clear CMos pins, and it boots up OK.

Plugged in a USB flash drive but it says F:\ is not accessible - The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Everytime you remove the battery, are you reconfiguring the BIOS??

Because you should be. Thats probably why its not working properly

bk T
09-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Everytime you remove the battery, are you reconfiguring the BIOS??

Because you should be. Thats probably why its not working properly

I did reconfigure the settings everytime the CMOS is reset.

Anyway, after turning it OFF and re start it, it won't boot, again. Removing the battery and resetting the CMOS does not ALWAYS work. It's very temperamental:badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Replace the battery, (if its that old), it could be dead

Myth
09-03-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm tending to think the mobo is dead/dying too. But just something to try out.. the next time you get it to boot ok, see if you can revert to your old BIOS version

You may have to download and reflash

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Nah it could be a dead battery

If the update was corrupted or something, it would be completely dead / wouldnt do anything at all

bk T
09-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Replace the battery, (if its that old), it could be dead

Battery has been replaced with a new one at the first instance.

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Umm so did u install a service pack??

When / or if it manages to boot into windows?

What kind of hdd is it?? SATA? IDE?

Could be a faulty cable or something

bk T
09-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Umm so did u install a service pack??

When / or if it manages to boot into windows?

What kind of hdd is it?? SATA? IDE?

Could be a faulty cable or something

I installed Windows when I managed to get it booted the first time, installed all the device drivers, etc. Initially I thought its only the USB that's not working properly.

As regards 'service pack', you mean XP's SP3? I was using a slipstreamed SP3 CD to install windows.

Tried SATA initially and after that tried IDE HDD which produced exactly the same problem.

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Ok whats the PSU??

Maybe thats the prob. Obviously, something is 1/2 stuffed. Since it goes when it feels like it

If it manages to boot into windows again, go to start/run type eventvwr

Look under system and application. Look for any X's or ! If there are any double click on them, click on the icon under the down arrow, paste it here

bk T
09-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Ok whats the PSU??

Maybe thats the prob. Obviously, something is 1/2 stuffed. Since it goes when it feels like it

If it manages to boot into windows again, go to start/run type eventvwr

Look under system and application. Look for any X's or ! If there are any double click on them, click on the icon under the down arrow, paste it here

Tried on 2 different known-to-be good PSUs with same results. Will check the event viewer when it has good mood.