PDA

View Full Version : System restore is slow to start

tuiruru
07-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Hi

When I’m going to “play” with a new piece of software or hardware I always create a restore point first with Windows System Restore.
At the moment, once I’ve told it to start, it takes about three and a quarter minutes for the initial screen to come up.
A while back I ran Comodo Regisrty Cleaner and System Restore started a lot faster (thus indicating that it can). I’ve since done some “wind backs” and it’s back to the slow start again. Please note: This is not the restore process itself – it’s the getting to the first screen so that I can select a restore point.
Any ideas how I can speed things up? I'm using Vista Home Premium SP2

tuiruru
07-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Whoops!! that should have been SP1

Speedy Gonzales
07-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Choose 1 (http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=System+restore+is+slow+to+start+vista&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

Looks like its a common prob

wainuitech
07-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Its a "feature" of Vista - :lol: Some times System Restore takes ages to start up other times it can open in a matter of seconds.

My Own PC here, and its not exactly " Lacking in power" will sometimes take 3-4 minutes to open restore, other times it opens withing 15 seconds.

Seen several Other Vista PC's do the same.

I cant confirm this Via any place on the Net - but I have found from experience System restore opens quicker if it has been opened not so long ago.

Eg: I had to run restore back yesterday because I "played" with settings I should have known better to alter - gotta "fiddle you know" :D

Yesterday it took around 3 minutes to open, just tried now, told restore to open , and in the time it took for me to look at my watch to check how long - it was open - less than 5 seconds.

Blam
07-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Even in the restore disc it takes up to 2 mins.

Why? Its vista. Hopefully Sp2 fixes it(doubt it):p

tuiruru
07-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Yeah Wain - Forgot to mention - Once I've started SysRes the first time, for the rest of my playing that session it comes up quickly when I re-launch it.

feersumendjinn
07-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Try removing some of your older restore points? (maybe it takes longer if you have lots of them (has to set them up to be potentially 'used' perhaps?)).

tuiruru
09-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi Feersum

What you say makes sense.

I know I can remove all restore points since the most recent by using Disk Cleanup. Have you got anyway of removing them individually - I didn't think you could but.....

feersumendjinn
10-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Sorry, I said that as a theory, but didnt check if one actually could, apparently not possible (though you can adjust the amount of disk space available for System Restore (and cause it to lose the older points) but only from the command line (unlike XP)).
Too much hassle?
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/04/20/hot-to-reduce-disk-space-used-by-windows-vista-system-restore/