PDA

View Full Version : OS installing on new Hard Drive

Tomo
07-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Hi everyone

I'm building my computer and i wanted to know if I could save some time installing the OS since the parts will hopefully arriving this week.

I have brought a new hard drive for the build and I was wandering if I could install Vista on an older machine using none of the same hardware?

I would do this by disconnecting all hard drives on it at the moment and then connect the new hard drive and then install Vista on that hard drive. Would it still work on my new build or am I wasting my time?

Blam
07-03-2009, 04:03 PM
It might-but vista will probably be unstable/or BSOD.

As its the wrong drivers. And especially if its intel to amd.

What are the specs of the two machines?

Sweep
07-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Hi everyone

I'm building my computer and i wanted to know if I could save some time installing the OS since the parts will hopefully arriving this week.

I have brought a new hard drive for the build and I was wandering if I could install Vista on an older machine using none of the same hardware?

I would do this by disconnecting all hard drives on it at the moment and then connect the new hard drive and then install Vista on that hard drive. Would it still work on my new build or am I wasting my time?

You seem to be building a new computer?
You seem to have another computer as well.

I would make the new build and install the O/S and chipset drivers and applications.

You may or may not be able to install Vista on the older machine but you should not install the same version of Vista on the old machine as you have on the new. Depends on the number of licences you have paid for and whether or not the old system is compatible and is capable of running Vista.

"Disconnecting all hard drives on it" What is it? Is this the new build or hard drives from the older system?

Tomo
07-03-2009, 05:07 PM
"Disconnecting all hard drives on it" What is it? Is this the new build or hard drives from the older system? "

I mean on the old system just connect the blank hard drive and install Vista on it

The specs are
Old: Intel Pentium 4 Ht 3.2hgz, 1gb Ram, integrated graphics
New: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.3ghz, 2gb Ram, Nvidia 9800gt

pctek
07-03-2009, 05:15 PM
No. It will crash probably. Be patient.......

Tomo
07-03-2009, 05:56 PM
No. It will crash probably. Be patient.......

Okay i'll just wait