PDA

View Full Version : Vista - Limited connectivity to wireless network

Sam Bos
07-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Hey guys
got my new laptop today, tried to connect to our wireless network but it takes a couple of mins to connect, when it finally does it says it has limited connectivity or something like that, and that i can get on the network but not the internet.

new laptop is running vista home premium, our current network is a belkin router wired to the desktop pc (Windows XP Home), and mum's laptop (XP Pro) is connected wirelessly.

I setup MAC address filtering on the router's webpage, so the desktop and mums laptop Mac addresses are on there. (its been this way ever since we set up the network - just how i prefer it).

so i got the wireless MAC address off my laptop, entered it, and it tells me i've entered an invalid hex key or whatever.

so then i try entering the Wired Lan MAC off my laptop, the router accepted it but i still have 'limited connectivity' to the wireless network.

Any ideas how to get this setup properly? I know when Vista came out it had issues networking properly with XP, is this still the case?

cheers, Sam

Blam
07-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Have you installed SP1? If you haven't ,try installing that

Also-I find an easy fix for these problems is, in device manager(run>devmgmt.msc), uninstall the wireless adapter under network adapters. It will reinstall on reboot.

Blam

Blam
07-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Also-what antivirus/security software do you have?

and try resetting the winsock and tcp/ip stacks

1. Click on Start button.
2. Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
3. Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator. Allow elevation request.
4. Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
5. When finished, type in netsh int ip reset C:\log.txt
6. Restart

Blam

BTW Try updating the routers firmware and see if it fixes the "invalid hex key problem"

If that doesn't work, change the router's wireless to no encryption and see if it still happens

Sam Bos
07-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Also-what antivirus/security software do you have?

and try resetting the winsock and tcp/ip stacks

1. Click on Start button.
2. Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
3. Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator. Allow elevation request.
4. Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
5. When finished, type in netsh int ip reset C:\log.txt
6. Restart

I did all that, then had went through my MAC address in Command Prompt...i'd typed a 'G' instead of 'C'. silly me.....

thanks for your help anyway :thumbs:

one thing tho, I tried updating the firmware for my router but nothings available for it. its a Belkin F5D7633AU4AV6000 Modem Router, its not the most recent one.