PDA

View Full Version : Windows Boot Failure Due to Monitor Refresh Rate

loaSolidSnakemgs
07-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Okay, so I got windows XP black right? Wiped Vista off my computer and reinstalled everything. Now everything was set and ready to go until I was stupid and decided to set the monitor refresh rate on my nVidia GeForce 6150LE onboard graphics card's control panel (nVidia control panel). I was testing to see if the panel itself was working and I thought that if I set a refresh rate that wasn't supported by my monitor, then it would simply reset itself. Turns out I was wrong, but i thought

"oh no biggie, i'll just reset to the 'last good known configuration' setting and be fine! and if all else fails, i'll just wipe everything all over again seeing as I dont have anything on here except the base stuff for my OS!"

So, it didn't reset itself, and i tried reverting to those 'last good known configuration' settings, which didn't work, and i'm currently in the process of wiping my desktop. the problem? that it stays on the blue screen and it says:

"Examining 238473 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on nvatabus..."

While I was on vista, it took no more than 10 seconds for me to get to the part where i simply wipe the OS, and format the partition to start a clean new start at Windows XP, and those 3 zeros have me very nervous about my computer's "well-being" now.

I tried safe mode on all levels except network
I tried debugging mode
I tried 'enable logging'
I tried almost every option avalible to me when i hold 'F8'.

What do I do?

If hardware status helps, its this:

My computer is an HP Pavilion a1700n, the only difference between mine and the one HP sells is that it has 1 gig more ram and currently no working OS. Vista came with it.

Hardware:

250 GB hd
AMD Athlon X2 3800+ (64-bit processor)
2 Gigs of ram (4 ram sticks, which is 512 each)
nvidia geforce 6150LE on-board graphics card with ASUS motherboard (don't know the model of the motherboard)

That's all the essentials i think....

Please, help me. I'm freaking out here <.< =/ PLEASE!!! <_>

Blam
07-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Did you try booting into VGA mode?

Driftwood
07-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Not knowing just what you have done, it may be easier to do a repair install.
If you have made any adjustments in the bios it may pay to reset everthing to default with the exception of 1st boot which will have to be set to where you have the installation CD.

Paul.Cov
07-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Those Zeroes that are being reported are probably quite normal.

It's kinda computer nerdism at its best... but physical hardware is typically referred to starting with zero for the first item / slot, and 1 for the second instance, 2 for the 3rd instance.

Hard Disc zero, partition zero typically means your usual c:\ drive.
Interface 0 being the first interface point / cable connection point (eg IDE 0 for Primary, IDE 1 for Secondary drives)

Can't advise on your other issues. Sorry, but I suspect your hardware is fine.

pcuser42
08-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Did you try booting into VGA mode?

I learned (the hard way :p) that that option only resets the resolution, not the refresh rate. I ended up booting from the Vista DVD and running System Restore - so try that. :)