PDA

View Full Version : Broadband connection issues

prefect
07-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Got big probs at moment only reason internet is going is a 15 metre phone lead from lounge to bedroom.
Thought I had problem sorted found ants in junction box gave them a spray with brake kleen and blasted the box with 100 psi compressed air.
Every thing was going sweet thought I was clever but now as soon as I put a filter(s) on the line the internet goes tits up.
Do I have to have a filter if there is no phone on that BT box?.
I have filters on 3 other BT boxes because there are phones on them.
Wiring not that old and is 2 wire.
On line with ants in it phone still worked ok but no bb.
Thanks for any help

linw
07-03-2009, 10:42 AM
You don't put filters in unless there is a phone there. Not sure why adding a superfluous filter stops your BB, though.

prefect
07-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks for that, I dont know why this one BT box wont work with filter.
Tried 3 filters all different manufacturers but all made in commy china.
I am blardy sure xtra help desk said I had to have filters on every BT a while ago.
But I could have been drunk and not listening properly

pctek
07-03-2009, 12:25 PM
What the filter does is filter out the High Frequency - which is the broadband.
Thats because phones, faxes and dila up modems think its interference in effect.
So no, no filter for the adsl modem.

And brake clean was probably not the best substance to use......it would be corrosive.

prefect
07-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks for that.
Being a bus driver/mechanic and not that clever, its all I know to fix things squirt parts cleaner or CRC 556 and blast it with compressed air. If that does not work the hammer is going to come out
The original prob was the ants because the nest was right across the terminals of the paired wires in the jb. A test phone still worked on line though but slight short across the ants stopped bb. I have left cover off jb so ants wont find it so cosy like a little house.
I could do away with the jb and just solder the wires together because its only 1 pair in and out of jb.
Christ where is an ant eater when you want one.