PDA

View Full Version : Backingup

Poppa John
06-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Hi All. Now that I have a DVD drive again, I am trying to do a backup. Only for My Documents, which is very large due to it having all the other "My Somethings" in it.
Nero suggests that I will need up to six DVDs to do it, compressed. Yet when I try them it fails to compress all files.
I have tried the inbuilt backup in MS Office 2003, but it will only offer Drive A. I cannot change it.
I now cannot Erease the DVD+RW I started with. (Yes I know that not everyone on here likes RWs).

What can I do to get MS to change from A to D drive.

What program do you use? I am looking for one that will compress the data & tell me to change discs as they fill up. Any ideas" Thanks. PJ

Metla
06-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Being the manual sort of guy I am.

I'd make six folders, Name them data 1 through 6 (or 7), then I'd distribute your files in theses folders until each held about 4GB.

Then I'd burn each folder to a DVD at the slowest possible speed.

I wouldn't let Nero or any other software compress them or encode them in any way.

Blam
06-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Cobian Backup?

http://www.freewarefiles.com/Cobian-Backup_program_14198.html

Or, synctoy or syncback

Nomad
06-03-2009, 05:53 PM
These days I don't really use DVDs because files can change over time and be of little use. Like personal files, and internet downloads - demo's and updates etc.

I tend to use another HDD specifically for these now. It is also less to the landfill.

Going via so many CDs and DVDs is not enjoyment to locate the file.

If they are static files, I guess I would just organise them in folders like Metla and do them that way and label the DVDs as such.

These days I have a external HDD for backup only. I also have a 2nd HDD internally for backup and syching so I have a 2 layer protection. I don't use RAID since that would jsut be too expensive and it does not protect accidental erasure. The 1st drive (C:) has 2 partition. 1st is operating and 2nd is backup. So I backup:

1st HDD 2nd partition to 2nd HDD.
2nd HDD to 1st HDD 2nd partition.
I also backup to my external HDD.

Yeah I am not a fan of encoding too, I simply just pop them onto DVD with the standard burn format so they can read easily on any computer, any software in the future. Should any software go belly up.

memphis
06-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Just use a portable external harddrive -(320 gig,500 gig,750 gig,1000 gig).:thumbs:
or a usb thumb drive -(32 gig,16 gig,etc.).:thumbs:

Both nice and easy to use and able to use on any computer and very transportable and no need to do any compressing or anything else.

Poppa John
07-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Further.. I decidedto go Metla's way. I now only have 5 DVD+RW Discs.

First I went thro My Documents & erased rubbish. Then I made a new folder, BackDoc1. Starting from the "A' in my docs I copied all folders down to My Music. Total of 8.83GB. My Music alone is 8.7BG.

Now I could try to split this in half & put it on two discs.

However I looked Compressing Zip File in the Desktop 'Send to' drop down box. So I tried that. No. Won't work. 'Folder has symbols embedded that cannot be compressed'. Any suggestions? Thanks. PJ

Nomad
07-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Just a thought, if they are music I would just keep them on the HDD cos that is not a static layout. Ie., you may add more music down the road and when you use it, it would be on the HDD anyway to access that library of files.

I do similarly with my photography.

Poppa John
07-03-2009, 08:53 PM
I am looking to Backup in case of HDD failure.

Photography.. Is on Maryann's comp. That is her hobby. She has got Backup done.

All folders are 'Copied Over' & the original is still on the HDD. PJ

Sweep
07-03-2009, 09:40 PM

Photography.. Is on Maryann's comp. That is her hobby. She has got Backup done.

All folders are 'Copied Over' & the original is still on the HDD. PJ

PM will soon be on the way. A computer is just a filing system much like a paper system.

It depends on how you do it. It also depends on what you want to find and when.

You should backup or copy in case of a hardware failure.

Each person has a different idea about this in my opinion. Some image partitions. Some can find find files or not as the case may be. Some download files to the desktop then wonder where the file(s) went.

A paper system is usually filed under a Surname then first and middle names. But then a particular person may be filed in several files under several projects.

A backup often consists of one large file or can span several disks.

A copy usually means a copy of a file or files and you do not need to load the software you used to "Backup".

For instance, if you use Nero7 to backup over several CDs or DVDs you will have to install the O/S plus drivers and Nero7 before you can restore a backup used.

Then what happens if you change the operating system and Nero7 does not work. A backup can not be restored unless you dual boot.

Driftwood
08-03-2009, 03:03 AM
I wouldn't be using rewritable discs.
Their failure rate would be higher than your hard drive.

pctek
08-03-2009, 07:18 AM

I would go with an external HDD too. DVDs are OK, but they won't last forever.

So long as you have your data backed up on the main PC drive and the external - well the chances of having both drives die on you at the same time are slim enough that you can be fairly confident.

For extra paranoia, use 3 drives - its what I do.

Poppa John
08-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Another HDD either internal or external is not an option. Nor the Dual layer & Ram discs.

I am going Metla's way & copy selected data to DVD disc. I need to be selective with what I want to save, so will have to winnow the folders. I will Make a folder of 4+GB & copy to disc. I can then change that folder as I wish & re-burn.

I have 5 RWs I am going to use, (Yeah I know but they are all I have).

Every month I will update them. Having lost two HDDs in my time, along with all data, I have to do something.

So. Thanks all of you for your help. PJ :thanks

Sweep
08-03-2009, 09:40 AM

So long as you have your data backed up on the main PC drive and the external - well the chances of having both drives die on you at the same time are slim enough that you can be fairly confident.

I am paranoic enough to not only backup and/or copy but I also have stuff stored off site.

This just in case I get a burglar who takes the computer and all disks I have where I live. Or the place burns down. Or a comet hits in which case I could be slightly annoyed.

FoxyMX
08-03-2009, 11:17 AM

I wouldn't rely on having data on main drive and an external without backing up to CDs or DVDs as well. It may be rare but both drives can still bite the dust together if, say, the PSU blew up or there was a power surge whilst the external drive was plugged in.

Or you could be transferring data rather than copying and the external blows its fuse, or..... any number of other reasons.

For extra paranoia I would, and do, use two drives plus DVDs.

Every month I will update them. Having lost two HDDs in my time, along with all data, I have to do something.

Good on you PJ. I've heard of a lot of people lately who have lost the contents of their hard drives for various reasons and had no backups. :(

Poppa John
08-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Foxy...As I said before HDDs of any type are not in our budget this year. DVDs is the only way to go at the moment. PJ

FoxyMX
08-03-2009, 02:07 PM
I heard you the first time, PJ. :)

My response to pctek was intended for others who were perhaps interested in the thread.

Poppa John
08-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Is it possible to "Save" all folders in Outlook Express? How to do that? I want to put them into a single folder & then to DVD. Thanks. PJ

Blam
08-03-2009, 02:40 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670

Then just burn it to a dvd.

Or, you can use an external program

http://www.kls-soft.com/klsmailbackup/index.php

Poppa John
08-03-2009, 04:00 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670

Then just burn it to a dvd.

Or, you can use an external program

http://www.kls-soft.com/klsmailbackup/index.php

Done Thanks. Out of discs now, bugger. PJ

Blam
08-03-2009, 04:05 PM
If your dvd writer supports it, you could get one of these:

http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/49b341ea0162502e273fc0a87f3b069b/Product/View/XM4349

jwil1
08-03-2009, 04:06 PM
One other thing to back up (if you want to) is your Outlook Express account info. IIRC it's in Tools>Accounts>Export.

Poppa John
08-03-2009, 06:14 PM

http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/49b341ea0162502e273fc0a87f3b069b/Product/View/XM4349

Yeah, very nice but.....PJ

Poppa John
08-03-2009, 06:16 PM
One other thing to back up (if you want to) is your Outlook Express account info. IIRC it's in Tools>Accounts>Export.

All done & dusted. 10.7GB to 102 MB. PJ

Bantu
08-03-2009, 06:22 PM
My Backup recovery strategy these days is an Image of C drive to start with. I have two Images. One with a basic install and all the WinXP patches, and one once all Apps etc are installed.

C Drive is only a 250Gb ES drive and only has Win XP, & Programs on it.
D Drive has Data and Work
E has the C's Image and a daily backup of all of D Drive.
I also 4 other drives which is normally Digital Video for me and Clients. F, G gets backed up to H, I.

I can restore C in a few minutes if Windows or the HDD goes belly up.

I have lost client data in the past and it is days of work re-creating it which I hopefully never have to do again. I use Mainly Seagate ES Hard Drives.

Using TrueImage for the Imaging and SyncBackSE for the Drive backups. Only thing on C I like to keep is outlook.pst from Outlook. That is backed up to D daily which in turn gets backed up also.

It works for me.

Blam
08-03-2009, 06:54 PM
My Backup recovery strategy these days is an Image of C drive to start with. I have two Images. One with a basic install and all the WinXP patches, and one once all Apps etc are installed.

C Drive is only a 250Gb ES drive and only has Win XP, & Programs on it.
D Drive has Data and Work
E has the C's Image and a daily backup of all of D Drive.
I also 4 other drives which is normally Digital Video for me and Clients. F, G gets backed up to H, I.

I can restore C in a few minutes if Windows or the HDD goes belly up.

I have lost client data in the past and it is days of work re-creating it which I hopefully never have to do again. I use Mainly Seagate ES Hard Drives.

Using TrueImage for the Imaging and SyncBackSE for the Drive backups. Only thing on C I like to keep is outlook.pst from Outlook. That is backed up to D daily which in turn gets backed up also.

It works for me.

Wish I would afford that many drives:(

I'd use your method if I had a few more drives

Poppa John
09-03-2009, 10:54 AM
So, I have 7 backup folders in My Documents ready to burn to DVD.

BackDocs1 is 2.89GB. When I ask it to copy, I am told that it will take 11 hours!!! Is that right? The data is not compressed. PJ

Blam
09-03-2009, 11:25 AM
It won't, at first the extimate is large, but it will start to shrink.

Shouldn't take more than 30mins, use TeraCopy, it will speed copying up greatly

Blam

wainuitech
09-03-2009, 11:28 AM
What DVD writing program are you using - if its the inbuilt windows one thats rubbish and often fails.

you would be advised to use a third party Program, plenty of free ones about, then simply burn the data to DVD.

Dont try to rush and get them burnt FAST - thats when corruption occurs.

Blam
09-03-2009, 11:38 AM
BurnAwareFree is good for novices, ImgBurn is good also

Metla
09-03-2009, 12:25 PM
So, I have 7 backup folders in My Documents ready to burn to DVD.

BackDocs1 is 2.89GB. When I ask it to copy, I am told that it will take 11 hours!!! Is that right? The data is not compressed. PJ

Use Nero, Select DVD>burn as a data disc. There will be a tab on the left of the program window that you need to select and it will show more options, This is where you select the write speed.

Fools for hiding the most important option.

Richard
09-03-2009, 02:26 PM

A hair straightener? :confused:

Blam
09-03-2009, 07:01 PM
It was originally a dvd ram disc lol.

Sweep
09-03-2009, 07:30 PM
It was originally a dvd ram disc lol.

Had you not noticed that PJ mentioned that he had a few DVD disks and could not afford any more? This to do a backup or copy.

Words like "I think" or "I guess" usually do not enduce enough confidence for me to take your advice.

Poppa John
10-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Hi All. Back again & not a happy chappy.

Last evening I made 7 shiny bird scarers for the garden, or 7 coasters. To recap.

I made a new file in My Documents & called it BackDocs1 (Thro to 7).
I copied across to it, folders that I wanted to save as a backup. Using Nero I burnt this to a DVD+RW. Nero said that this disc could be opened on any other DVD player. It is a Data disc. 2-7 are the same but, 5 are DVD+RW & 2 are DVD+R.

When I put any of these disc in to run & open, the computer locks up. The cursor will not move. I eject the DVD & reboot the computer & it is all well. However I cannot open any of the discs.

Why????

PJ (Who is not happy at wasting a whole evening & all the discs he could scrounge from around the house)

Blam
10-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Weird. Are you sure the discs are finalised?

And have you got any other dvds to test out?

Also, try removing/disabling Sonic DLA and/or Nero INCD

Software/Drivers might be interfering

Metla
10-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Bring em over PJ, (not tonight) I'm babysitting all week.

I'll have a look at them, I can also give you a couple more to practise on.

Poppa John
10-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Weird. Are you sure the discs are finalised?

And have you got any other dvds to test out?

Also, try removing/disabling Sonic DLA and/or Nero INCD

Software/Drivers might be interfering

2 are finalized as thet are nearly full. The rest are not, so that I can add to them as I want. In all 7 cases it is the same. Put one of the 7 into the drive. Watch the green light, Starts stationery, on. Then starts flickering & Comp locks up.

Other DVDs work fine. Diana Krall, some that Metla gave me. Bought or copied. PJ

Poppa John
10-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Bring em over PJ, (not tonight) I'm babysitting all week.

I'll have a look at them, I can also give you a couple more to practise on.

OK. PJ

wainuitech
10-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Last evening I made 7 shiny bird scarers for the garden, or 7 coasters. To recap if they are RW's and are OK, then simply wipe them and they start again.

Personally I Would never use RW's - their failure rate is high, no matter what the brand.

Poppa John
10-03-2009, 06:19 PM
if they are RW's and are OK, then simply wipe them and they start again.

Personally I Would never use RW's - their failure rate is high, no matter what the brand.

The computer is not "Free" long enough to select a programme to wipe the discs. As I have found already, scissor cut acriss them & File 13.

Also, 2 of the discs I used are DVD+R, Office Solutions brand. PJ

Nomad
10-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Does the drive have the so called burn proof technology?
Tried slower burning speed?
In my own experience if I use a non ATAPI cable it can read but create coasters when you burn.

Poppa John
10-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Does the drive have the so called burn proof technology?
Tried slower burning speed?
In my own experience if I use a non ATAPI cable it can read but create coasters when you burn.

I set the speed at 2X4. PJ

Poppa John
16-03-2009, 08:22 PM
REVISITED.

Ok. I put BackDocs1 disc in Maryann's computer & it will open, as normal

I put it in my Comp & the comp locks up. Restart comp. Put in an old Netguide disc & my comp locks up.

It seems to me that the problem is in MY computer settings or summat. Any ideas? Thanks. PJ

Metla
16-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Is is when using the external drive it locks up?

And in Maryann's computer are you using the internal drive?

My hunch is its your external DVD drive.....

Poppa John
16-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Is is when using the external drive it locks up?

And in Maryann's computer are you using the internal drive?

My hunch is its your external DVD drive.....

Either.

Yes.

PJ

Metla
16-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Either.

Yes.

PJ

Pretty sure the internal drive on your computer is only a cd drive (unless someone else has changed it) I installed my spare when the disc exploded in your DVD drive and ruined it.

Poppa John
16-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Pretty sure the internal drive on your computer is only a cd drive (unless someone else has changed it) I installed my spare when the disc exploded in your DVD drive and ruined it.

It is now a DVD/CD as supplied by DeSade & fitted by me. Second hand. It does play other DVDs & CDs. PJ

Speedy Gonzales
16-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Is there more than 1 internal cd/dvd in the case??

If there is, did you jumper the dvd, (if both are IDE), Desade gave you??

If you didnt theyre probably conflicting

Metla
16-03-2009, 09:19 PM
It is now a DVD/CD as supplied by DeSade & fitted by me. Second hand. It does play other DVDs & CDs. PJ

Oh.

Poppa John
16-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Is there more than 1 internal cd/dvd in the case??

If there is, did you jumper the dvd, (if both are IDE), Desade gave you??

If you didnt theyre probably conflicting

Internal was Jumpered Master. Left it alone.

External is via USB & seperate power supply. PJ

Poppa John
16-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Oh.

Didnt want to bother you. PJ

Poppa John
16-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Disconnect External drive.

Tried Diana Krall DVD borrowed from Metla. OK

Tried BackDoc1. Lockup.

Reboot.

Try Netguide CD. Lockup.

Sweep
16-03-2009, 09:52 PM
PMs on the way to both Metla and PJ giving my opinion only.

Poppa John
27-03-2009, 05:02 PM
OK one more go.

I have an external drive & an internal drive.

External disconnected. Run a selection of DVDs & CDs on it & ok. Bought & downloaded ones. Tried to run the backdiscs I made & comp locksup.

Disconnect the internal one & connect the external one. Same result.

All will play on Maryann's computer.

I took a new DVD+R I stole from Maryann & tried to copy one of the Backdisc collations from My Documents, I could not. I tried using the inbuilt 'Copy to DVD/CD in MS & it won't do it. Says that there is an error in copying.

Is this all down to a software problem? PJ

Blam
27-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Try reinstalling the firmware. This is a weird problem indeed.

I reckon Incd or Sonic is cauing the lockups maybe...

EDIT:Have an idea, try booting in safe mode(tap F8 on startup)and see if the pc locks up when you insert a dvd

Poppa John
27-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Try reinstalling the firmware. This is a weird problem indeed.

I reckon Incd or Sonic is cauing the lockups maybe...

EDIT:Have an idea, try booting in safe mode(tap F8 on startup)and see if the pc locks up when you insert a dvd

What do you mean by firmware, please? PJ

Maryann
29-03-2009, 08:34 AM
PJ on Maryanns computer.

Just when I thought that things could not get worse, they have.

I have lost my Internet connection to our network. Tried to remove Nvidia Foorceware & it keeps coming back. Removed thr Nvidia drivers & that went ok.

Thinking of doing a System Restore to try & get back behind when these problems started. Yes? No?

Also on startup I get....,Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard...start this & it wants to find...Other PCI Bridge Device...Then...Put in System Disc...Which then says...A newer nersion (OS) exists on computer...but thisisthe newest one I have got????? PJ

Speedy Gonzales
29-03-2009, 08:49 AM
If you do a system restore, you'll probably have to reinstall the chipset drivers.

If you go back that far (to remove Nvidia firewall). Thats probably what its part of / how it installed

Delete the Other PCI bridge device in device manager then reboot, see what happens. I would say what it needs (if rebooting does nothing), is on the mobo cd not the XP cd

Myth
29-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Why was the Nvidia firewall etc uninstalled in the first place??
If it aint broke, don't fix it.

What application are you using for your backups?

And yes, I would system restore all the way back to when you attempted to uninstall the firewall and whatever other devices.

More to follow... maybe :p

Speedy Gonzales
29-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Because it causes probs, thats why

Maryann
29-03-2009, 09:05 AM
If you do a system restore, you'll probably have to reinstall the chipset drivers.

If you go back that far (to remove Nvidia firewall). Thats probably what its part of / how it installed

Delete the Other PCI bridge device in device manager then reboot, see what happens. I would say what it needs (if rebooting does nothing), is on the mobo cd not the XP cd

That chipset thingy looks dangerous to me!!!

I don't have a mobo cd. PJ

Maryann
29-03-2009, 09:08 AM
Why was the Nvidia firewall etc uninstalled in the first place??
If it aint broke, don't fix it.

What application are you using for your backups?

And yes, I would system restore all the way back to when you attempted to uninstall the firewall and whatever other devices.

More to follow... maybe :p

I am already using the Comodo firewall. Where the invidia one came from I dont know. I tried to remove it & stuffed up. No surprise!!!

Coffee time, my one & only for the day. PJ

Myth
29-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Because it causes probs, thats whyAnd in PJ's case, what problems was it causing? It appears that uninstalling it (or attempting to) has caused more problems than it has fixed :mad:

Speedy Gonzales
29-03-2009, 09:16 AM
And in PJ's case, what problems was it causing? It appears that uninstalling it (or attempting to) has caused more problems than it has fixed :mad:

Do a search in google, / in here. It causes corrupted downloads / installs. And was probably the cause of his outlook / dvd / burning prob

It doesnt matter WHAT it's on. It SHOULDN'T be installed on any system

Myth
29-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Do a search in google, / in here. It causes corrupted downloads / installs. And was probably the cause of his outlook / dvd / burning probYou don't sound too certain

It doesnt matter WHAT it's on. It SHOULDN'T be installed on any systemAnd of course, you're the man and what you say is 100% correct and final :lol:

PJ, if you require the firewall to be uninstalled, the best way (according to the nvidia forums) is to uninstall all chipset drivers, and then reinstall all except the firewall. If you need the chipset drivers, I suggest you either download them before you uninstall anything more, or I can do so and send you a disc with them on. Or maybe bribe your neighbour with cake and bread and he can do it ;)

Will need to know what motherboard you have

Sweep
29-03-2009, 09:30 AM
I am already using the Comodo firewall. Where the invidia one came from I dont know. I tried to remove it & stuffed up. No surprise!!!

Coffee time, my one & only for the day. PJ

I am surprised you have no CD for your motherboard. The forceware firewall would have been on that CD. Also you were asked to do "sfc /scannow" at one point and you had no XP CD. You now appear to have an XP CD but because you are now using XP SP3 this is why you now have a newer operating system on your computer compared to the XP CD you have.

Now. Can you tell us what Motherboard you have. Make and model and BIOS revision if you can find it. Then we can let you know what to download and install from the Internet if we have to.

Also. These backup CD's you have that don't work in your Computer but do work in Maryanns. What file extensions and directories are on them that show up on Maryanns computer. You do not need to list them all. Just maybe the first Folder or Directory and one or two files contained within that Folder. Backdoc1 is just a label to me and I still have no idea what is on or in Backdoc1.

I had offered to come down and sort all the issues but at that time you seemed to think you could handle it. Unfortunately I'm not in a position just now that I could afford to do that so all I can try is over the net or by phone.

I could send you the client for Teamviewer via Email and then take control of your computer from my place.

Speedy Gonzales
29-03-2009, 09:31 AM
You don't sound too certain

And of course, you're the man and what you say is 100% correct and final :lol:

PJ, if you require the firewall to be uninstalled, the best way (according to the nvidia forums) is to uninstall all chipset drivers, and then reinstall all except the firewall. If you need the chipset drivers, I suggest you either download them before you uninstall anything more, or I can do so and send you a disc with them on. Or maybe bribe your neighbour with cake and bread and he can do it ;)

Install it then see how far you get / what probs you get. You think you know everything. Its a KNOWN fact it causes probs. Thats if you can read

Myth
29-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Install it then see how far you get / what probs you get. You think you know everything. Its a KNOWN fact it causes probs. Thats if you can readPot callin the kettle black? :illogical

Maryann
29-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Come on guys, no fighting PLEASE. Surely the idea here is to rescue me from the long drop I hve fallen into.

Sweep will be back to you shortly. Maryann is calling me. PJ

Myth
29-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Come on guys, no fighting PLEASE. Surely the idea here is to rescue me from the long drop I hve fallen into.

Sweep will be back to you shortly. Maryann is calling me. PJDid you read my earlier post about the motherboard/chipset drivers?

Myth
29-03-2009, 11:37 AM
PJ... have you tried to restore your system to back before you uninstalled nvidia firewall? Or even back as far as before you installed IE8?

If not, do it :)
Let us know how you get on.

Maryann
29-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Just had lunch, got to have my afternoon rest before I fall over from lack of energy. Will be back later. Thanks all for being so patient with me. PJ

Maryann
29-03-2009, 02:44 PM
You don't sound too certain

And of course, you're the man and what you say is 100% correct and final :lol:

Not in any position to ask Metla for anything. He has helped us too much already at his own expense. I morally owe him more than I can ever repay. Apart from the large Apple Pie we owe him. He is very busy on his property at the moment, his time is valuable to his own family. PJ

At the moment I am so confused that I don't know what to do next. PJ

Maryann
29-03-2009, 02:45 PM
PJ... have you tried to restore your system to back before you uninstalled nvidia firewall? Or even back as far as before you installed IE8?

If not, do it :)
Let us know how you get on.

Thinking about it. PJ

Myth
29-03-2009, 04:49 PM
At the moment I am so confused that I don't know what to do next. PJ

Thinking about it. PJWell, if I were down in front of your computer right now, a system restore would be the first thing I'd be doing. If it works, it will get your system back to workable, might even fix all but the IE8 issue.
It can't break your system any more than it is already broken.

My next step (if youre still keen to go down this road) would be to find all the drivers for your motherboard, download them, and then uninstall all chipset drivers. Then reinstall all chipset drivers except the Firewall (as recommended in nvidia forums). Reboot. This MAY fix the IE8 issue. If not, I would revert back to IE7.

I can only recommend in the end, the choice is yours.

Also, what are you doing for Easter? SWMBO says we should come down for a night or two. She has family there so sleep wont be a hassle

Poppa John
29-03-2009, 06:53 PM
From PJ in front of PJ's computer.

Good news & bad news.

I did a System Restore to the 8th of this month & that has fixed most of the problems.

Outlook Express seems to be working but I have lost folders at the bottom of the alphabet, P to Z. These are in BackDocs6, compressed using MS drop down Send To...Compressed Zip Folder, then copied to DVD. (Opening this one is another story).

I still cannot open the Backup discs I made. The ones I made into Folders (BackDocs1 tp 7) in My Documents. I copied these to DVDs using the MS inbuilt "Copy Files to Disc" programme. Nero was not used as far as I remember.

So. Can we look at the problem of no being able to open my DVD discs Please.

Incidentally, thankyou for putting up with me so far. PJ

Sweep
29-03-2009, 07:25 PM
From PJ in front of PJ's computer.

Good news & bad news.

I did a System Restore to the 8th of this month & that has fixed most of the problems.

Outlook Express seems to be working but I have lost folders at the bottom of the alphabet, P to Z. These are in BackDocs6, compressed using MS drop down Send To...Compressed Zip Folder, then copied to DVD. (Opening this one is another story).

I still cannot open the Backup discs I made. The ones I made into Folders (BackDocs1 tp 7) in My Documents. I copied these to DVDs using the MS inbuilt "Copy Files to Disc" programme. Nero was not used as far as I remember.

So. Can we look at the problem of no being able to open my DVD discs Please.

Incidentally, thankyou for putting up with me so far. PJ

If you are using the inbuilt MS copy files to disc then that only works with a CD and not a DVD. Well at least it does with my Win XP Pro 64 SP2. I tried with a DVD and got the message I expected that the DVD was full or write protected. Put a CD in the drive and the files were copied as expected.

I suggest you put Backdocs 6 into Maryanns computer and extract the P-Z folders you want then copy them back to your Outlook Express.

What program opens these files on Maryanns computer? I don't even know why they can be opened there but while they can be then let us do it.

It would appear that you don't have a program that will ZIP - UNZIP archive on your computer. One that Wainuitech mentioned was IZarc so I suggest you grab that as well and put it on both computers.

Speedy Gonzales
29-03-2009, 07:28 PM
There is an update for DVD, for XP 32 bit and 64 bit (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932716)

Well, I think thats what it does

And bluray (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=63ab51ea-99c9-45c0-980a-c556746fcf05&DisplayLang=en) (which maybe for 32 bit only)

Sweep
29-03-2009, 07:50 PM
It doesn't. I just tried it.

Poppa John
29-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Ok, let's back up a bit (no pun intended)

I have used some DVD+RW & some DVD+R. I can read neither. So When I put an RW in the drive with the intention of wiping it clean so that I can use it again, it locks up the computer. Should I forget about this problem, throw them away, & start again. To 'Copy" 7 BackDocs Folders from My documents? What puzzles me is why they will read in Maryann's comp but not mine. Maybe this is just an academic question only. PJ

Greven
29-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Download a simple burning program like cdburnerXP & try it in that - could be your burning software is not working correctly. Use DVD+R or DVD-R - the rewritables are too unreliable. You can make do with them until you are able to afford an external hard drive.

Sweep
29-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Can you wipe these DVDs in Maryanns computer? The question is academic only. Try and replace the P - Z folders into your computer in the meantime.

Poppa John
29-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Sweep...I think I put you crook. I did not unzip the OE folder BackDocs6, just opened it to see if it would, same as all the others. Had a look at that unzip & could not make it work. Left it alone as things were getting too complicated. PJ

Poppa John
30-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Info as requested.

Mobo ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2N-MX SE Plus Rev
Bus clock 200mh
BIOS. American Megatrends Inc 0302 12/04/07
Slot Dimm1 has 1024 MB
HDD 160GB ST3160815AS NTFS
2.2gh AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
DVDRW IDE1008 (CD-ROM drive)
3.5 floppy drive.
Windows XP Home SP3

PJ

Poppa John
30-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Can you wipe these DVDs in Maryanns computer? The question is academic only. Try and replace the P - Z folders into your computer in the meantime.

This is getting bloody ridiculous...

Next instalment of this Saga.

Put BackDocs1 (Backup disc) in Maryann's computer & using Nero I wiped the disc clean.

Using the internal DVD drive the Clean DVD+RW locked up my comp. Disconnect the internal & connect the USB external. Same result.
Try the disc in Maryann's comp & Comp ok.

Now not allowed to use her Comp, & quite rightly so. I cannot compromise her m/c as well. PJ

DeSade
30-03-2009, 07:53 PM
I think its unlikely to be the drives, two different types having the same problem on the same computer is "out there" at best.
And is said in the PM the DVD tested fine when it was removed.

The disk works fine in Maryann's computer so I think you can rule that out.

That just leaves your computer, if I was you I would have backed up what I needed to a key drive and wiped it by now, reinstall windows and gone from there.

The guys answering you in this thread know a lot more than me thou so you should follow their advice. Sweeps offer to remote in would be the best option then he could see what you are seeing first hand.

Sweep
30-03-2009, 09:59 PM
I think its unlikely to be the drives, two different types having the same problem on the same computer is "out there" at best.
And is said in the PM the DVD tested fine when it was removed.

The disk works fine in Maryann's computer so I think you can rule that out.

That just leaves your computer, if I was you I would have backed up what I needed to a key drive and wiped it by now, reinstall windows and gone from there.

The guys answering you in this thread know a lot more than me thou so you should follow their advice. Sweeps offer to remote in would be the best option then he could see what you are seeing first hand.

Having visited PJ in the past I could do it again this week.

A reformat could be the answer but the reason I called in in the first place was to help make a web site and show PJ how to create and publish. PJ could not find documents he had wanted to put on the resultant site as the "My Documents" Folder had quite a few "new folders" that were empty or did not have the data he wanted.

So my considered opinion is that a reformat may well be the answer and to do that I would have to visit. I would take with me a pile of CD's rather than DVDs.

At the time I was there I did not check NICs or Network on either computer.

But PJ said that he does not have an O/S disk.
He also says that he can't go to Metla and that he can't afford buying some DVDs. I do not mind helping but it may be useful to know what is going on. Otherwise I will just sit here and wait.

Backdoc 1 - 7 mean nothing to me.

Sweep
30-03-2009, 10:17 PM

Sweep will be back to you shortly. Maryann is calling me. PJ

Hmmmmmm. No reply. Maryann saying what?

Poppa John
01-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Success....

The problem appears to be solved. It was caused by INCD, which was mentioned earlier in this thread as a possible cause.

A relative here, took pity on me & got a local technician to visit & sort it out.

So to all of you out there, A Very Big Thankyou for all your Support. PJ:thanks:thanks:thanks

Sweep
01-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Success....

The problem appears to be solved. It was caused by INCD, which was mentioned earlier in this thread as a possible cause.

A relative here, took pity on me & got a local technician to visit & sort it out.

So to all of you out there, A Very Big Thankyou for all your Support. PJ:thanks:thanks:thanks

Thanks for the update. Pleased to hear Blam6 was pointing you the right direction as did I in this thread.

http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=98418&highlight=INCD

Did you manage to get back the Email folders P to Z?

Can you now backup or copy anything you need to in the future?
Things like all documents you have created, emails, address books, favourites, bookmarks, all your downloads and etc.

Myth
02-04-2009, 05:24 AM
/me makes note about INCD

Glad to hear you got it working PJ :thumbs:

P.S, doesn't look like I can make it down your ways at Easter either. Some of the meagre spare finances at this stage being used to top up the "5 y.o birthday"
OMG.. school this year... seems like last week she was born :eek:

Poppa John
02-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the update. Pleased to hear Blam6 was pointing you the right direction as did I in this thread.

http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=98418&highlight=INCD

Did you manage to get back the Email folders P to Z?

Can you now backup or copy anything you need to in the future?
Things like all documents you have created, emails, address books, favourites, bookmarks, all your downloads and etc.

Sweep...Could not get Folders P to Z back. Error message says, "Not pdf or data corrupted." May I send the DVD up to you to see what you can do?
Please. The Pam Bromley data is the most important to me. Genealogy stuff. PJ

ps. Another Backup disc for OE has been made, but without P to Z. PJ

Sweep
02-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Yep PJ. Send the disc up and I will see what I can do.

PM on the way for delivery details.