PDA

View Full Version : Very Cheap Computer Needed For UNI

MongooseRoadkill
05-03-2009, 10:36 PM
My sister and her partner have both just started UNI at Massey They're in desperate need of a computer and have no money to spare. I need to buy my sister partner a computer so he can start his course which he is already behind in.

He is studying Robotics and needs a computer to learn the programming side of the course.

The computer needs to be able to run:
C# 2005 Express Edition.
Internet Browsers.
Word Processors.
(Does not need a moniter, keyboard or mouse.)

This is obviously not going to be a very performance hungry machine.

Any pointers of where I should start!

Speedy Gonzales
05-03-2009, 11:10 PM
And where in NZ are you?

Myth
05-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Are you looking for parts that you can build a computer from, or are you wanting a full computer (monitor/mouse/tower/etc)?

And what specs are required to run C# ?

CYaBro
05-03-2009, 11:16 PM
If Speedy can't help I may be able to scrounge up something.
Won't be the flashest machine in the world, probably an AMD Sempron 2500+ with 512MB RAM and 80GB hDD.

I do know that I don't have any old XP licenses though so not sure what you would do there.
Could get you a new one but they have gone up in price recently.

pkm
05-03-2009, 11:55 PM
You could get away with a win2000 age box with 1ghz/256mB if you had to-Just be aware that flash intensive websites,youtube etc wont work as well. Sometimes I use a Celeron500 with win2k,which is in a tiny case. I simply use FF2+no javascript.

I dont think c# will require much -unless its Visual Studio,Ive seen those IDEs running very slow.Id worry more about IE or sites that have overdosed on JS/flash.

beeswax34
06-03-2009, 01:07 AM
If Speedy can't help I may be able to scrounge up something.
Won't be the flashest machine in the world, probably an AMD Sempron 2500+ with 512MB RAM and 80GB hDD.

I do know that I don't have any old XP licenses though so not sure what you would do there.
Could get you a new one but they have gone up in price recently.

Uni students can get a free copy of XP Home or Vista so that shouldn't be a problem.

Chilling_Silence
06-03-2009, 02:06 AM
If he wants to take a Laptop to Uni, I'd highly recommend the 900 EeePC :)

And yeah when I was at Unitec, we just had to go to the software library room and "check out" the XP Home CD for a day, they give you a key and everything!

Visual Studio doesnt require much, have run it on an EeePC, so yeah ;)

almightynugget
06-03-2009, 06:47 AM
hey ur just in luck as im selling a cheap computer specifically for students. basic setup.

Compaq D510
512mb ram
1.8GHz Intel Processor
20GB HDD
Windows XP

txt me ill pm u my number when reply on this thread if ur interested or not

pctek
06-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Uni students can get a free copy of XP Home or Vista so that shouldn't be a problem.

They do?
Well I've got one for sale:

Raidmax Sirius (Black) Case with Coolermaster 500w Power Supply:

Front mounted gauges: temperature, fan speed, hard drive status
Tribal Machine cut out on top and side panels
Tribal style side window panel 80mm LED fan
Dual 120mm Blue LED Fans
Front USB 2.0, Audio
Dimension: 200 x 485 x 430 mm (WxDxH)

Athlon 3200+ Socket AM2 CPU, 2 GB Kingston DDR2-667 RAM, 80GB Sata Seagate Hard Drive, ASUS 18x DVD Writer.

ASUS Asus M2NPV-VM Motherboard:
Support AMD Socket AM2 Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64/ Sempron

NVIDIA GeForce 6150 + nForce 430 FSB

2000 / 1600 MT/s Memory

Dual channel memory
4 x 240-pin DIMM, support max. 8GB DDR2 800/667/533

Integrated GeForce 6 GPU
HDVideo Processing with resolution to 1920 x 1440 (@ 75Hz)

Dual VGA output support: DVI-D and RGB

TV-out support

1 x PCI Express x16 Slot
1 x PCI Express x1
2 x PCI
Storage/RAID

2 x UltraDMA 133/100/66/33
4 x Serial ATA 3Gb/s with RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, RAID 5 & JBOD

NVIDIA nForce 430 built-in Gigabit MAC

ADI AD1986A High Difinition Audio 5.1channel CODEC

IEEE 1394a controller supports 2 x 1394a ports

Overclocking Features

SFS (Stepless Frequency Selection) from 200MHz to 400MHz at 1MHz increment
ASUS O.C. Profile:
Overclocking Protection:
ASUS C.P.R.

ASUS Q-Fan 2
ASUS My Logo
ASUS CrashFreeBIOS2
ASUS EZ Flash 2

1 x DVI-D out
1 x D-Sub out
4 x USB 2.0 ports
1 x IEEE 1394a port
1 x 5.1 channel Audio I/O
1 x RJ45
1 x PS/2 Mouse
1 x PS/2 Keyboard
1 x Parallel
Internal I/O Connectors

2 x USB 2.0 connector supports additional 4 USB 2.0 ports
1 x IEEE 1394a connector
1 x TV out connector
1 x Game/MIDI connector
1 x S/PDIF output connector
High Definition Front panel audio connector
4-pin CPU Fan / 2*Chassis Fan connectors
Chassis Intrusion connector
CD audio-in connector
24-pin ATX power connector
4-pin ATX 12V Power connector
2 x COM connectors

Micro ATX

Components bought Sep 2007 - Still under warranty.

NO Operating System

$195 plus Courier

Renmoo
06-03-2009, 08:53 AM
They do?
They do if the University has MSDN.

Auckland Uni for instance: http://www.sit.auckland.ac.nz/Who_is_allowed_to_download_Windows_from_MSDN

somebody
06-03-2009, 09:00 AM
MongooseRoadkill: Why doesn't your sister (and partner) simply use the PCs provided at the university? I'm sure they will have 24/7 access computer labs with the appropriate software installed, where you can go and do course work.

Most of the IT departments at NZ universities are signed up for a programme called MSDN Academic Alliance with Microsoft, where the university pays around $700 a year, and return gets unlimited licenses to use selected developer tools (i.e. Visual Studio, SQL Server, etc) for academic purposes. One of the other benefits is that students enrolled in that department (or are doing at least one paper in a registered department) can gain access to all of this software and license keys for free. This includes Windows XP Professional (not home, as someone stated earlier), and Vista Business edition. It is expected that Windows 7 will also be made available shortly after it is released.

Note: the licenses under MSDNAA state that all of the software must be used for non-commercial purposes only. However, the licenses are valid even after the student finishes their degree or leaves the university for whatever reason.

For all other students (including high school students) can access a range of software including server operating systems, Visual Studo and so on for free, under the Dreamspark programme. See: http://www.dreamspark.co.nz

Renmoo
06-03-2009, 09:16 AM
somebody: If MongooseRoadkill were to download Windows Vista business from his / her University website, how would the software be authenticated as being legitimate? In other words, where would Product Key & Activation Code be sourced?

Cheers :)

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Its probably on CD

Chilling_Silence
06-03-2009, 09:36 AM
When I was at Uni they gave us one on a printed piece of paper, I never actually hired it out twice to see if it was different each time?

Its in Microsofts best interests to get Uni students using their software, what better way to get them familiar with it when they go out into the marketplace and start using computers on a daily basis, or begin writing software. If they're comfortable with using Visual Studio because they've done-so for the last 3 years whilst at Uni, do you think they're about to change? I dont ... But it means that their next employer will be one who's purchased a license for it on this students new Work PC.

Plus it also looks good from a PR point of view ;)

somebody
06-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Its probably on CD

Nononono.... please don't make things up unless you actually know - it's misinformation like this which causes a lot of confusion and frustration.

The process depends from university to university. Some have an online tool called ELMS (run by one of Microsoft's partners and made available for free to all universities) where students log in and can get a unique license key that way.

Otherwise, universities are given lists of keys (in lots of approximately 100), and they just keep a record manually - in a spreadsheet or database - of what keys have been given out, and to who. Some universities have an administrator who students can email to get a key, or actually go and visit to get one.

Some software - such as Visual Studio - have volume license keys coded into the installer, so do not require separate keys.

There are specific instructions for each institution available here: http://blogs.msdn.com/nzstudents/pages/msdnaa.aspx

somebody
06-03-2009, 09:46 AM
somebody: If MongooseRoadkill were to download Windows Vista business from his / her University website, how would the software be authenticated as being legitimate? In other words, where would Product Key & Activation Code be sourced?

Cheers :)

For most software, students will need to get a unique license key from their university (as per my previous post). Students are typically limited to getting one license key per product per year, unless there are special circumstances.

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Dont haveta cry about it

Renmoo
06-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the info, somebody :)

PENTIUM
06-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Fairfax, who own this Mag, also own Trade Me. Have you guys accidentally got to the wrong website?

utopian201
06-03-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm assuming you are aware of how the programs get uploaded to the hardware. If they use a com port, then obviously things like eee PC and newer motherboards which dont have com ports will be useless.

Also Visual Studio is quite a memory hog.

Chilling_Silence
06-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Whats wrong with a USB -> Serial adapter?

Visual Studio isnt that much of a memory hog, it runs on 512MB. Nobody said it would be lightning fast though ...

hueybot3000
06-03-2009, 04:01 PM
I used to run it on a athlon 2800 with 512mb ram quite happily, i wasnt doing overally intensive stuff with it but it wasnt "slow" at all really

utopian201
06-03-2009, 05:08 PM
I run Visual Studio on an Athlon 1800+ and it is quite usable. My total memory usage (according to task manager) is still less than 512mb (about 480mb).

Theres nothing wrong with USB-> serial adapters, i figured if they were any good, my company would used them. We just currently put in an additional pci COM port card in addition to the 2 provided by the motherboard.

Nomad
06-03-2009, 05:35 PM
I have researched it but yet to buy it.
He does admin work only, webmail and the net.

$100 motherboard, $50 CPU, $100 HDD 500GB, $50 DVD Writer. Motherboard has builtin graphics. No one uses floppy drives these days. Case and power pack to add.